none
Visual Studio 2010 Performance Issues

Question

• I have been experiencing very slow builds and debugging with Visual Studio 2010 and I am looking for  a solution. I have tried many of the suggestions I have found in the forums with no luck. So here I am seeking specific help.

Here are the details:

This is a large web application solution, 38 projects, that we have recently upgraded from .Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5.

We are currently using VSS for source control. Many times it can take 3 or 4 minutes after starting debugging to reach the first page.

Computer Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz 8 GB Ram  64 bit Windows 7. I am running Visual Studio in a VMWare Workstation with Windows 7 64bit & 4GBs RAM.

I notice slow performance while coding, jumpy scrolling, slow intellisense, pauses between menus opening. I have turned off all visual enhancements. I have removed Resharper, all extensions, turned off Intellitrace and ensured Just My Code is selected. I gain a slight performance increase but not much.

When debugging it appears that the slowest point is when retrieving the symbols from the Asp.Net Temporary Internet files folder.  I haven’t found any symbols that are being retrieved over a network. I have also tried using a symbols cache with no luck.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Please let me know what additional details you can use. 

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We are performing a research on this issue and will get back to you soon.

Looking for TFS Hot Issues? Follow us at Twitter.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:58 AM
  • Thank you Hongye. Most of the information I've found on the forum has been specific to the RC. I have since also removed the database project in the solution and this has also slighlty increased performance but it is still painfully slow. I look forward to hearing your suggestions. 

Thanks,

- Johnathon S.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi Jonathon,

I have few questions:

1) Do you see performance dip while working with couple of web project rather than 38 projects.

2) Does the problem reproduce when you run Visual studio in safemode[  devenv /safemode]

3) Can you Turn on the “on demand compilation option for your website properties  and turn off Build website as part of solution

What this means (when you select the "Build Page" option in the dialog above) is that when you edit a page and then hit F5 (run with debugging) or Ctrl-F5 (run without debugging) the solution will compile all of the class library projects like before, then compile the /app_code directory and Global.asax file, and then instead of re-verifying all pages within the web-site it will only verify the current page you are working on, and any user controls that the page references.  With large (and even medium) projects with lots of pages, this can obviously lead to major performance wins.  Note that ASP.NET will automatically re-compile any other page or control you access at runtime -- so you will always have an up-to-date and current running application (you don't need to worry about old code running).  Y

By deselecting the "Build Web site as part of solution" checkbox, you will find that the Ctrl-Shift-B keystroke (which builds the solution) will continue compiling all class library projects, but will not re-build all pages within your web-site project.  You will still get full intellisense support in your pages in this scenario - so you won't lose any design-time support.  You will also continue to get warning/error squiggles in code/class when they are open.  If you want a way to force a re-build to occur on pages not open, or across all pages within the web-site, you can use the "Build Page" or "Build Web Site" menu options within the "Build" menu of Visual Studio:

This gives you control as to which pages on your site you want to verify (and when) - and can significantly improve build performance.

4) Can you Disable AutoPopluteToolBox property and see if that helps

Tools->Options menu item, and then Windows Forms Designer/General/AutoToolboxPopulate =false option

5) Lastly What I would recommend is getting multiple manaul Memory dump using debug debug 1.1 tool. If we have to go that route, we will need to get you to open up a case with Microsoft Customer Support Services.

Thanks!

Chris Cooper

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I have been facing the same issue. Visual studio 2010 has some major performance issue.

Working with visual studio 2008 never gave such problems.

hopefully they come with a service pack fast to resolve the performance bottleneck.

Can anyone tell me when the first service pack for visual studio 2010 is due to release?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Same here... since we switched to VS2010, I have to close and restart the application 4 to 5 times a day, its spinning 25% of my CPU for no apparent reason and memory often goes up to 1 to 1.2 GB. The environnement is not responding anymore and debugging becomes almost impossible.

I really hope this gets solved soon enough..

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:12 PM
  • I see also see the CPU spinning away (about 8%)  in devenv.exe

sometimes I type a character and ... after some delay later ... it finally appears

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Please open a support case so that we can debug the issue and report any bugs to the product group for fixing.

Please visit the below link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Chris Cooper

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:44 AM
  • presumably they will ask for $$$ first, and then tell me that it will be fixed in next release, based on past behavior DYN
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:05 PM