none
MS Word COM addin built in VS2003 checks crl.microsoft.com only if .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.

Question

• I built an MS Word COM addin using the extensibility wizard in VS2003.  The addin works great until the .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.  After 2.0 is installed, the addin wants to contact crl.microsoft.com every time Word is opened.  This communication adds about a 5-10 second delay to the MS Word startup time.  Considering I open up Word 50+ times a day, this is very annoying.

As far as I know VS2003 can only use .NET Framework v1.0 and 1.1, so why does 2.0 change the addin behavior?  Is there a way to stop this from happening besides disabling the CRL check in IE?

I also built a seperate Excel addin using the extensibility wizard, but this addin never tries to contact crl.microsoft.com.  I'm not sure why this problem is only happing with Word.

Monday, April 30, 2007 6:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try posting the question in the Discussions in Office Development or for a better responses or Discussions in Automation forum for interop questions, if you have not already.

See the answer to this  post I did VSTO app RIP. You can have office specify whether to target 1.1 or 2.0. If you had no problems with 1.1, maybe you can have it use that....unless there is another .Net add-in wanting specifically 2.0
    Monday, April 30, 2007 9:36 PM
  • As far as I know VS2003 can only use .NET Framework v1.0 and 1.1, so why does 2.0 change the addin behavior?  Is there a way to stop this from happening besides disabling the CRL check in IE?

Update for .Net 4 and Office 2010 this situation possibly has been eliminated for most VSTO solutions due to In-Process Side-by-Side Execution in .Net 4.

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:05 PM