none
Access violation writing location exception when writing to file C++

Question

• Ok so I'm trying to write just basic text to a file.  And everytime I try to write anything to the file I get this exception:

Unhandled exception at 0x00417cb4 in C++FileIO1.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0041d73e.

Here is my full code:

#include "stdafx.h"
    #include <iostream>
    #include <fstream>

using namespace std;
    int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
    	bool exit1=false;
    	while (exit1==false)
    	{
    		char* fpath="";
    		char* fdata="";
    		cout << "Please input the path of the file you want to write to: ";
    		cin >> fpath;
    		if (fpath == "/exit") 
    		{
    			exit1=true;
    		}
    		fstream files1;
    		files1.open(fpath);
    		if (!files1) {
    		cout << "\n" << "\n" << "Please input the data you would like to write to the file:" << "\n";
    		cin >> fdata;
    		files1 << "test";
    		}
    	}
    	cin.get();
    	return 0;
    }

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:46 AM

Answers

• Mitch1423 wrote:
    > Ok so I'm trying to write just basic text to a file.  And everytime I try to write anything to the file I get this exception:
    >
    > Unhandled exception at 0x00417cb4 in C++FileIO1.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0041d73e.
    >
    >   char* fdata="";
    >   cin >> fdata;
    fdata points to a string literal. String literals are stored in read-only memory. You need a writable buffer where user input can be stored.

Consider using std::string instead. Your life will be so much easier.
    --
    Igor Tandetnik
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Monday, February 08, 2010 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:22 AM
  • As Igor suggest you can use a string class like std:string or CString (MFC), or, if you're trying not to use any classes at all you could allocate real memory for the fdata variable like:

char fdata[1000]; // 1000 chars for buffer

Then you'd have real memory for cin to use.

Tom

In the particular context posted by the OP, I would suggest using std::string like Igor did (but in other contexts, like Win32 programming, my preference is for CString ATL/MFC class).

The problem of CString in that particular context, is that it does not play well with cin. I mean, code like this:

CString str;
      cin >> str;

fails to compile because of lack of proper operator>> overload defined for CString instances.

Instead:

string s;
      cin >> s;

would work just fine.

On the other hand, I'm against raw C-like buffer like char data[1000]; in fact, there could be potential buffer overruns and consequent security problems in the app.

Giovanni

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:56 AM

All replies

• Mitch1423 wrote:
    > Ok so I'm trying to write just basic text to a file.  And everytime I try to write anything to the file I get this exception:
    >
    > Unhandled exception at 0x00417cb4 in C++FileIO1.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0041d73e.
    >
    >   char* fdata="";
    >   cin >> fdata;
    fdata points to a string literal. String literals are stored in read-only memory. You need a writable buffer where user input can be stored.

Consider using std::string instead. Your life will be so much easier.
    --
    Igor Tandetnik
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:22 AM
  • As Igor suggest you can use a string class like std:string or CString (MFC), or, if you're trying not to use any classes at all you could allocate real memory for the fdata variable like:

Tom
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:54 AM

Tom

In the particular context posted by the OP, I would suggest using std::string like Igor did (but in other contexts, like Win32 programming, my preference is for CString ATL/MFC class).

The problem of CString in that particular context, is that it does not play well with cin. I mean, code like this:

CString str;
      cin >> str;

fails to compile because of lack of proper operator>> overload defined for CString instances.

Instead:

string s;
      cin >> s;

would work just fine.

On the other hand, I'm against raw C-like buffer like char data[1000]; in fact, there could be potential buffer overruns and consequent security problems in the app.

Giovanni

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:56 AM
  • Good point G.  Of course, OP could use GetBuffer() or case the CString with (LPCTSTR), but otherwise they are difficult to use in that context.  I don't like using the buffer idea either, but I listed it in case OP was trying to do it without STL or MFC.

Tom
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:37 PM