none
.NET Framework versions

Question

• I'm researching version info about .NET Framework 3.5 and I have 3 questions. 

1) My web searches turned up several names: .NET 3.5 with Service Pack 1, .NET 3.5 SP1, .NET 3.5.1, .NET 3.51.  Are they all the same thing?

2) My Registry shows I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed (version 3.5.30729.4926).  If I use Visual Studio 2010 to develop an app on this computer, would the app run in .NET 3.5 without any problems?  Visual Studio C# doesn't seem to have a Target Framework selection specifically for .NET 3.5 SP1.

3) What's generally considered as the most widely installed/used version of .NET now?  .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or 4.0?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

in short form,

1) No, they are not the same thing..., try this for more info .net framework .

2) No, there may be problems, because .net 3.5 sp1 also extends the framework.

3) Well, that depends but I think you should try to learn the latest framework and how to use it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi tenzin14,

Thank you for your post in MSDN forum!

Some clarification with you

What is your OS?

As your first question, .net framework 3.5 has some different versions.

.net framework 3.5

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6

.net framework 3.5 Sp1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents.

This version is including mangy new features and improvements.

You could refer the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

As your second concern, you could configure Target framework .net framework 3.5 or .net framework 3.5 Client Profile.

As your third concern, I would recommend that you could install .net framework 4 on your machine.

Rukshan’s suggestions are great!

CHEERS!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Hi tenzin14,

I'm glad to see your feedback.

As your concern, .net 3.5.1 is .net framework 3.5 service pack 1.

3.51 is the same version with the .net 3.5.1

Hope this helps you

Thanks

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in short form,

1) No, they are not the same thing..., try this for more info .net framework .

2) No, there may be problems, because .net 3.5 sp1 also extends the framework.

3) Well, that depends but I think you should try to learn the latest framework and how to use it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Thank you! 

Can you briefly describe what .NET 3.5.1 and .NET 3.51 are?  Is .NET 3.51 a "legit term"?  I can't seem to find much info about them. 

Thanks again for sharing.

I posted the same question to StackOverflow to find what others think (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3453597/net-3-5-with-service-pack-1-net-3-5-sp1-net-3-5-1-net-3-51-are-they-all). 

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Hi tenzin14,

Thank you for your post in MSDN forum!

Some clarification with you

What is your OS?

As your first question, .net framework 3.5 has some different versions.

.net framework 3.5

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6

.net framework 3.5 Sp1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents.

This version is including mangy new features and improvements.

You could refer the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

As your second concern, you could configure Target framework .net framework 3.5 or .net framework 3.5 Client Profile.

As your third concern, I would recommend that you could install .net framework 4 on your machine.

Rukshan’s suggestions are great!

CHEERS!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Thank you Larcolais!

Our target OSes are WinXP, Win Vista and Win 7.

A recent Windows Update has the title "Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 (KB983590)".

I'm still not sure exactly what .net 3.5.1 and .net 3.51 are.

If you can provide some comments on that, it would be great.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Hi tenzin14,

I'm glad to see your feedback.

As your concern, .net 3.5.1 is .net framework 3.5 service pack 1.

3.51 is the same version with the .net 3.5.1

Hope this helps you

Thanks

Larcolais Gong

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Hi tenzin14,

I'm writing to follow-up this post. Do the above suggestions help you solve your concerns?

I'm marking this post as Answered. If you have any findings and concerns, please feel free to unmark this post.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:01 AM