none
Class View in Visual Basic Express 2008

Question

• Hi,

I just started using VB express 2008.  Before I have used C++ express 2005 --> this had a "class view" which shows the functions (red boxes) and variables (blue boxes) on the left window.

Visual basic has a dropdown list of the functions, is their a class view also, I looked but could not find one.

Thanks
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:48 PM

Answers

• Yes, this exists but not in the VB Express edition.  (Would be under the View, Class View menu.)  Inexplicably, it does exist in C# Express.

The Object Browser (View, Object Browser) can substitute, but it is rather unwieldy.

• Marked as answer by Jeffs_Programs Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:54 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• Yes, this exists but not in the VB Express edition.  (Would be under the View, Class View menu.)  Inexplicably, it does exist in C# Express.

The Object Browser (View, Object Browser) can substitute, but it is rather unwieldy.

• Marked as answer by Jeffs_Programs Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:54 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Thats too bad!  I really liked that view in c++,

When I converted vba/excel code to C++, even though writing in c++ was much harder at times I found it much easier to maneuver because of the class view.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Maybe you should try C#.  It's not much different than VB as they both are .NET langauges.  Or you can do what I do.  I develop in VB.  If I want a feature only available in C#, I convert to C# by loading the project in SharpDevelop and converting.  I then have one  project in VB and an equivalent project in C#.  My take on  the two languages is this:  If you're a touch typist, use VB.  If you hunt and peck, use C#.  Although you can use C++ for managed code, don't even think about it. 
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:33 PM
  • I am using vb.net because I need to make a userform, the main code is in C++ because it is a monte carlo and it needs to be fast.  I will look and see if C# has a free compiler and also for the converter.  That seems like a pretty useful application!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Download the offline installed version of VSE 2008 and the recommended MSDN library.  If you're comfortable with C++, C# is probably a better programming language for you than VB.  Also, download SharpDevelop so you can mix and match the managed code.  VB is better for some apps and C# for others.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:02 AM
  • John,

I'm glad you showed up to livin things up a bit, John.

My own life trundles on. This morning I found where I had written my landladies real phone number instead of the one she gave my sister. This was fortunate because she is using that number now.
    This will give me my once new notebook back which has vs2008 and Vista on it. I have my fingers crossed. As I've said before. I dont have anything to write actual code on.

I'm beginning to get my life back togther again - wahoo.

Renee
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Renee:

You seem a lot better than when you first returned to the forums.  The pains must be subsiding.  I sympathize with the loss of your dog.  You'll be back to your old self when you get your notebook.  You seem to have gotten rid of ADT.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:35 PM
  • You can also load your project in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express.  It has class view.  You can also load multiple C# and VB projects at the same time.  It lacks templates, but you can start a project in C# and VB and then load them into VWD.  I haven't use it, but it looks to be real close to the capabilities of Visual Studio.  The key is to download the offline versions of the 2008 Express editions.  If you mix and match, I don't see what features you would lack compared to the Standard Edition.  You just have to work a little to get them.  If you're getting paid for your work, you can't afford to mess with the Express or Standard Editions. 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:16 PM