none
'Interop' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.Office'

Question

• Using Visual Studio 2005 I create a new Visual C#->Office->2003 Add-ins->Excel Add-in Project.

I Build it and get the error:

"The type or namespace name 'Interop' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft.Office' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

This is on the line:

using Excel = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel;

It can't find the "Interop" part.

I've downloaded and installed "Office XP PIAs" (and "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel" is in my c:\WINDOWS\assembly directory)

Within the solution Explorer I dropdown the References section and see "Excel" with a yellow "!" next to it.

I removed it, then added the COM Reference "Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library". Excel show up again (this time without the yellow "!").

I rebuild it and get the same errors.

Can anyone help me?  I seem to be going round and round here and am probably just missing some simple step.

Thanks!

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:37 PM

Answers

• Isn't that how it always works?  I figured out my own problem only after asking for help...

The problem is that I had the 2002 Office XP PIAs loaded instead of the 2003s.

Hope this helps someone else out there with a similar problem.

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Hi danwel,

I believe you donwloaded the wrong version of the PIA's.   Office 2003 is what coresponds to version 11  (Office XP is earlier).

The following article should help you:

Installing and Using the Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa159923(office.11).aspx

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:06 PM

All replies

• Isn't that how it always works?  I figured out my own problem only after asking for help...

The problem is that I had the 2002 Office XP PIAs loaded instead of the 2003s.

Hope this helps someone else out there with a similar problem.

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Hi danwel,

I believe you donwloaded the wrong version of the PIA's.   Office 2003 is what coresponds to version 11  (Office XP is earlier).

The following article should help you:

Installing and Using the Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa159923(office.11).aspx

Friday, November 02, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

the problem was solved for me when i add AddReference->.NET->

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.

kindly

dinu.selva

chennai

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I had to do the same thing (add the .NET->Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel reference).  But, I also had to remove the Excel and Microsoft.Office.Core references, otherwise, the .NET Interop reference conflicts with the other Excel references.

Thanks for the help everyone.

--mzappit

Friday, June 04, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hay Danwel Palesh Here Thanks For Helping Us ..........Palesh
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:02 AM