none
TFS-2010 to 2012 - Problem upgrading ProcessTemplates

Question

• We moved from TFS 2010 to 2012 with the help of Damian Brady's Article...

http://blog.damianbrady.com.au/2012/06/03/upgrading-tfs2010-tfs2012-rc-done

Everythings fine ... as a last step I had to configure the new features for the team project - upgrading from the standard 'MSF Agile Software Development 5.0' to the new 6.0 - as the new control panel said:

Features are available for this team project, but they must be configured before they can be used.
    [Configure Features]

But the verification quits always with the message

There are no process templates available with valid configuration settings for this team project.

That's not true, because I'm able to create new team projects with 6.0 and they all works fine.

Any hints, tips & tricks on MSDN are talking about customized process templates, but we are using the standards! No customization on work item types or anything else!

I'm really stunned about the speechlessness of the TFS error messages and MSDN.

Any suggestions?

Kristof

• Edited by KristofZ Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 12:58 PM

Answers

• You can find the errors that the wizard found in the eventlog of the Application Tier.

But the problem is that you changed the language of the process template. This is something that the wizard does not supports. We don't have a download site for the English templates. You can either install a new English TFS server and download the process template, or if you have an account on TFSPreview grab it from there.

You could also contact me at ewald dot hofman at Microsoft dot com, and I can send you the RTM template.

If you have uploaded the English template, you can just rerun the template.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by KristofZ Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:38 AM
    Monday, October 08, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Uuhhh ... yeah ... Problem solved! With the Agile template 6.1 from TFSPreview our new (german) TFS is satisfied.

Thank you Ewald :)

I hope there are no other inter-lingual surprises...

Kristof

[REMEMBER]: Don't upgrade from an english to a german TFS!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:38 AM

All replies

• If you have created a team project in TFS 2010 and used the CMMI or the Agile template, the wizard should just work. When you get on the page where it cannot find any process templates, it has a couple of links to the help. Weren't they useful?

There is a blog post that tells how the wizard works http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/05/31/deep-dive-on-configure-features.aspx. And there is also MSDN documentation how you can update your process template to make the wizard valid: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms194972.aspx

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi Ewald,

I have created a team project in TFS 2010 about 18 month ago and used die MSF Agile template and the wizard is not working...! It says:

---------------------------------------------

There are no process templates available with valid configuration settings for this team project.

Your team project cannot be configured automatically.
    Learn how to configure features manually

---------------------------------------------

A while ago I tried to change a little bit in the work item layout, but I gave up, so the process template should be standard. 

Regarding to the wizards message you say in your "Deep Dive"-Article: " If all process templates installed on the server have critical errors, you will see the following screen". How can this be? We have no errors working with our present (standard)-template and made no changes!? 

Your second link seems to be useless, because we don't have a customized template? Is there a chance to reset our present template to fix the "problem" and get the wizard run appropriatly?

The whole process is so obscure and needs hours of investigation with a high level of frustration, because each documentation on the web is written for TFS-Pro's and not for normal users or admins. You dont even see anywhere wich template is used in a team project...!?

In the Process Template Manager we have "MSF Agile 5.0 RC", "MSF Agile 5.0" and "MSF Agile 6.0". The 5.0 templates are english and the new 6.0 is german.

Monday, October 08, 2012 10:09 AM
  • You can find the errors that the wizard found in the eventlog of the Application Tier.

But the problem is that you changed the language of the process template. This is something that the wizard does not supports. We don't have a download site for the English templates. You can either install a new English TFS server and download the process template, or if you have an account on TFSPreview grab it from there.

You could also contact me at ewald dot hofman at Microsoft dot com, and I can send you the RTM template.

If you have uploaded the English template, you can just rerun the template.

• Marked as answer by KristofZ Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:38 AM
    Monday, October 08, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Uuhhh ... yeah ... Problem solved! With the Agile template 6.1 from TFSPreview our new (german) TFS is satisfied.

Thank you Ewald :)

I hope there are no other inter-lingual surprises...

Kristof

[REMEMBER]: Don't upgrade from an english to a german TFS!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:38 AM
  • What about Scrum for Team Syatem V3.0 process template after upgrade to TFS 2012?

j_bon

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:41 AM
  • That template is not owned by Microsoft, but a community owned template. In TFS 2012 we have added the Scrum 1.0 template to the product, but there is no upgrade path from the "Scrum for Team System v3.0" template to the Scrum 1.0.

If you have a team project based on the community template, you can find detailed steps at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff432837(VS.110).aspx

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Thanks Ewald.

You mean I need to update my stfs process template manually as per the steps mentioned in below link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hh500409.aspx

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

j_bon

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Yes that is what I meant.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hello Ewald,

I'm customising current template (scrum for team system v 3.0) & trying to import things according to MSDN documentation to 2012 project created using template other than MS community to have new features through web access.

Imoprted successfully -WIT Categories added,WIT definitions,Adding Storyboard Tab to backlog items.

I'm getting below error when importing the process configuration file AgileConfiguration.xaml

TF400572: The Common Project Settings and the Agile Project Settings must be con
    figured for this feature to be used.

Below 2 Web access features are not yet configured due to this.Rest 3 new features are configured.

Planning Tools & My Work.

Trying to deep dive since last 2 hours........any idea......where d change is required??

• Edited by j_bon Monday, December 10, 2012 12:35 PM added some more info
    Monday, December 10, 2012 11:30 AM
  • Have you updated the commonconfiguration? You need to update that file and import it to tell the system what fields and states you want to map.

Monday, December 10, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Ewald,

I have PBI from stfs process template so do I need to customise my common config file considering the PBI states .

I hav below states in PBI:

<STATE value="Not Started"/>
        <STATE value="In Progress"/>
        <STATE value="Done"/>
        <STATE value="Descoped"/>
        <STATE value="Broken"/>
        <STATE value="Deprecated"/>
        <STATE value="Deleted"/>

I have changed the commonconfig file to match the metastates defined as per SCRUM 2.0. Primary metastates used by the backlog are Proposed, InProgress, and Complete.

<RequirementWorkItems category="Microsoft.RequirementCategory" plural="Backlog items">
        <States>
          <State value="Not Started" type="Proposed" />
    <State value="InProgress" type="InProgress" />
                <State value="Done" type="Complete" />
        </States>
      </RequirementWorkItems>

When importing the Common config file I get below error:

Line: 2 Position: 2 - The 'CommonProjectConfiguration' element is not declared.

j_bon

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Most likely the xml is not valid anymore. Could you download the process template from the server, extract the commonprojectconfig file and reapply the changes?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hey done successfully....was runnning wrong import command..

One question on PBI Board on web access,how are the link types workign on Kanban Board in web access?

j_bon

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:37 AM
  • The Kanban board does not show any link types. What would you expect?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:30 PM
  • You have to use the new export comand. And later the new import command. Other wise you will get that error.

witadmin exportprocessconfig /collection:CollectionURL /p:ProjectName [/f:FileName] [/e:encoding]

witadmin importprocessconfig /collection:CollectionURL [/p:ProjectName] /f:FileName [/e:encoding]

• Edited by Tamarteleco Friday, December 13, 2013 9:39 AM commands
    Friday, December 13, 2013 9:38 AM