none
Convert VB6.0 to .Net (vb or C#)

Question

• hi,
      I have my running application in vb 6.0, & needs to convert  in C# .Net platform, how do i do it?
    Please help me.
    Thanks
    Monday, July 02, 2007 9:28 AM

Answers

• Aniket.Malvankar,

1. If you would like to convert code snippet from VB6 to VB.NET, you can use the Update Visual Basic 6 Code tool in Visual Basic Express Edition. This IDE is for free, so it can be the most convenient tool for the conversion.

2. If you would like to upgrade the whole VB6 project to VB.NET, you can also use the Upgrade Wizard in VB Express Edition IDE. Just open the vbp project file in VB Express IDE, then the upgrade wizard can help you to run the application on VB.NET.

3. Actually, the CLR with the managed code such as C# and VB.NET are all compiled into MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language). You can use the Reflector tool to open the compiled exe/dll file, then take a look at the project in Reflector. The tool can help you to translate the MSIL into VB.NET and C# and other kind of languages.

4. When you get the VB.NET code, you can take a look at the convert website that can help you to convert VB.NET language to C# or just the opposite. The following link shows the example:

Hope that can help you with the upgrade problems. Thanks again for yoru question.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:18 AM

All replies

• There is a converter but it would be best to do it by yourself instead of using an application.
    Monday, July 02, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Aniket.Malvankar,

1. If you would like to convert code snippet from VB6 to VB.NET, you can use the Update Visual Basic 6 Code tool in Visual Basic Express Edition. This IDE is for free, so it can be the most convenient tool for the conversion.

2. If you would like to upgrade the whole VB6 project to VB.NET, you can also use the Upgrade Wizard in VB Express Edition IDE. Just open the vbp project file in VB Express IDE, then the upgrade wizard can help you to run the application on VB.NET.

3. Actually, the CLR with the managed code such as C# and VB.NET are all compiled into MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language). You can use the Reflector tool to open the compiled exe/dll file, then take a look at the project in Reflector. The tool can help you to translate the MSIL into VB.NET and C# and other kind of languages.

4. When you get the VB.NET code, you can take a look at the convert website that can help you to convert VB.NET language to C# or just the opposite. The following link shows the example:

Hope that can help you with the upgrade problems. Thanks again for yoru question.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:18 AM
  •  

hi,
      I have my running application in vb 6.0, & needs to convert  in C# .Net platform, how do i do it?
    Please help me.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:45 AM
  • juste convert vb6 to vb .net after u convert vb .net to c sharp !!

Me , i have a problem visual studio 2008 can not convert my vb6 code because the GUI interface can u help me ?
    Monday, February 09, 2009 9:49 PM
  • You could start by being more specific.

Renee
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Good website to convert VB  to C# .Net
    http://topc.somee.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Watson Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:16 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

There is a solution called VBUC (Visual Basic Upgrade Companion) which converts VB6 code to .NET.

The same solution joined together with Visual WebGui, allows to convert VB6 all the way to web if that is what you eventually trying to achieve.

Take a look at the Migrate from Visual Basic 6.0 to Web & Cloud video demo

You can find more info on Visual WebGui or ArtinSoft

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Hi,
    THe link seems brocken. Can you please specify the correct link.

Thanks,
    Venkat
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:06 AM
  • The version of the Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard that came in VS2005 and VS2008 is now called
    the Visual Basic Upgrade COmponionyou can get a version from the MSDN site http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-Tus/vbasic/ff793478

This tool can be used to convert your VB6 application to .NET.
    There are also tools to convert your application to Silverlight http://www.silverlightmigration.com which will web enable your application and even allow you to move it to WP7.

For moving to the cloud (Azure Migration) from VB6 or .NET apps see http://www.azuremigration.com

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:27 PM