none
KB937061 - Windows Update doesn't recognise that it's installed. Huh?

Question

• Today I installed KB937061 via Windows Update on Vista.  KB937061 = Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.

Even though I wasn't prompted to afterwards, I rebooted the machine (Windows Vista Ultimate), just to make sure.

Although the Registry and Visual Studio's About dialog box and the WU install-history log all confirm that the update is installed, a refresh of WU still lists this KB as a downloadable and installable update!

What gives?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hello again, everyone.

@BillD - great to hear that our changes solved your problem!

@cipher nemo - I'm sorry to hear that the workaround erased some of your preferences - to be honest, I wasn't aware that this was a side effect of the steps I provided. Sorry about that. Hopefully it wasn't too painful restoring them?

To answer your question about applying this to multiple machines, the expectation is that the workaround steps are only required if, after a few days, the updated patch isn't automatically downloaded and applied. I asked around a bit to determine the best set of steps to get into the stable and secure state, and a final installation of the patch is not required. If you've installed it once, you shouldn't need to install it again to have it disappear from the list of patches to install.

@Tim Radford - Following up via email.

Again, please don't hesitate to contact me or Microsoft Support if you have problems with this patch (for more information regarding our support policies for security updates, please see the bulletin itself: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-052.mspx).

Scott Nonnenberg

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem on Windows XP SP2
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Same problem on Windows Vista. At first I did not pay attention to the fact that it was the same update. I installed it twice (and every time the installation was successful). Now it is asking to install it again.

Notice that I have already installed Visual Studio 2005 sp1 and sp1 for Vista.

Anybody has any idea on how to stop it?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:01 PM
  • I'm getting the same thing. It's very annoying. I saw a similar thing a few months ago with a SQL Server update and decided to uninstall it until the next major release. I don't have that luxury with VS 2005. C'mon Microsoft.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:26 PM

• Same thing with VS2005 on Windows Server 2003; I'm guessing this isn't a platform specific issue.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:39 PM
  •  

Same problem, Vista Ultimate x86, installed, rebooted, update appeared again, installed again, appeared again.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Getting the same, VS2005 SP1 on XP SP2. Installed it like 5 times or more. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling it, removing C:\WINDOWS\system32\Catroot2, or everything I think that might be relevant, but no it shows up. I don't remember if I installed the Crystal Reports component either. Microsoft should fix it ASAP.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I do not have Crystal Reports installed.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:05 AM
  •  

Same Problem.~~and i've installed it three times
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Same here on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Very annoying!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:06 AM
  •  

Windows XP SP2 - VS 2005 SP1 ... same issue. More than a little annoying. But, if it helps anyone sleep at night, I have one machine that took the patch without this problem, so it is a machine-specific issue.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Happening to me as well, Vista Ultimate x86 with VS2005 SP1. I did not install the Crystal Reports component.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:49 AM
  • I'm having the same problem too on my XP SP2 machine. I've installed the update 3 times already, rebooted, and yet it still wants to keep on installing it. Agh!!!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:28 AM
  • The problem seems to me to be that where Windows Update sees that a matching Visual Studio SKU is installed on the local machine, it attempts to apply the update. But Crystal Reports for Visual Studio being an optional component of Visual Studio, it (that is, Crystal Reports) is not always installed (as others in this thread have observed).

So although Windows Update would report the update as having been “successfully” installed, it would in short order re-prompt to install it again. And again. And again, ad infinitum. (On 32-bit Vista Ultimate, I have entries in WU’s ‘update history’ for one, two, three.. eight “successful” installations of this update..)

Adding Crystal Reports to the Visual Studio installation enables Windows Update to properly apply the update and subsequently recognise it as having been installed; incidentally, the process of actually installing the update seems to happen perceptibly more quickly than that of not really installing it but reporting it installed all the same.

Finally, subsequently un-installing Crystal Reports for Visual Studio seems also to un-install the update, whereupon Windows Update prompts, again, to install it and one is, presumably, apt to find oneself back in the same cycle.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:53 AM
  • Hi FBuchan,

Do you have Crystal Reports (within VS 2005) installed on the machine that worked?  I suspect that the problem is happening on systems that do not have Crystal Reports installed.

-Ray

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:54 AM
  • Same here. VS 2005 SP1 without Crystal Reports on Vista. Update is installed "successfully", but offered again after reboot or manual update check. Adding Crystal Reports component via the VS2005 Setup fixed it.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:43 AM
  • I have the same problem (Win XP).

I beleive you all when you say that this is not happening if Crystal Reports is installed, but this is still a bug from Windows Update. It shouldn't be like this.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:14 AM
  • I have the same problem on Windows Vista. This patch has been installed a lot of times via Windows Update, but Windows Update continues to offer it and it's installed every times I shut down my PC.

HELP ME TO STOP THIS INFINITE LOOP!!!!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:28 AM
  • I have a workaround for this:

In the list of updates, uncheck this particular update. Then Click Close button. You will then get a dialog notifying you that this update will not be installed, and you can tick off a checkbox to not be notified again about this update.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:10 AM
  • awe: Well it's a temporary workaround,  you get an ugly warning in the critial update list in Microsoft Update.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Hi everyone...
    Well, I just installed this update on custom mode... it is working properly and so far I wasn't asked to re-install it.

Cheers.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:37 AM
  • Strange guys, but I do not have the problem. Windows does detect the update is installed and does not offer it again here.

OR MS fixed it

OR There is a system problem with your PC.

Anyway you can hide the update if it keeps coming.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:10 AM
  •  Uncle X wrote:

Strange guys, but I do not have the problem. Windows does detect the update is installed and does not offer it again here.

OR MS fixed it

OR There is a system problem with your PC.

Anyway you can hide the update if it keeps coming.

It shows up again for me so it's not fixed... As I wrote above unchecking it in the automatic update dialog is a temporary solution which leaves a warning for a hidden update item on Microsoft Update.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:51 AM
  •  awe wrote:

I have a workaround for this:

In the list of updates, uncheck this particular update. Then Click Close button. You will then get a dialog notifying you that this update will not be installed, and you can tick off a checkbox to not be notified again about this update.

but if I hide this update, will Windows Update able to correct this infinite loop? or should I make it visible again when this Windows Update's bug is fixed?

Why Windows Update, after a lot of new versions, is still not able to perform a so simple task: look if a KB is installed or not?  

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:38 PM
  • I'm working at a University, we've just rolled out a lab of 90 machines.  It looks like each machine is getting itself in this loop, if you shutdown and install updates the  machine sits there trying to install this update and never shuts down.   If you reset  the machine you can be left in what looks like a indeterminate state for updates.

Manually installing the update looks like it works.  But that means a lot of work running round 90 odd machines.

At the moment it looks like our best strategy is to turn off automatic updates ina GPO in the active directory.  For any machine that has the updates downloaded issue a gpupdate /force and reboot if required.

Hopefully there is a better answer, we've got a semister full of students looking to use these machines come monday.

Andy

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:34 PM
  •  

It definitely appears to be a problem for me, I opted not to install the Crystal Reports feature when I installed Visual Studio 2005. The three files that the patch apparently updates (as per the security bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-052.mspx ) didn't even exist anywhere on my system before or after the patch was applied.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Ray is correct, though oddly it wasn't until this morning that the machin ethat seemed fine with the update noticed and tried again. Is this first, I wonder...an update that refuses to stop when it isn't even needed? ;-)

Awe's suggestion is fairly efficient, and does stop the update from happening endlessly. Hopefully, MS will issue a fix for the fix though, as its like taking a sledgehammer to a tick.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:49 PM
  • I just bit the bullet and installed Crystal Reports for C++ and C#.  As predicted, the update issue went away.  I'm willing to bet I could go uninstall those packages now and the update wouldn't come back.  I'm not going to actually try it, of course... but I'll bet I could.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:38 PM
  • I can't even get the install to work. It fails with error code 663 (I think). Hate to have to re-install VS2005, not even knowing if this will fix the problem.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:10 PM
  • As long as the update installed correctly you should be good. I have been informed by folks at Microsoft that they are working on fixing the detection on WIndows Update and will soon post an update.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Ray,

Same problems here... crystal is not installed...  John

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Can this have been properly tested?

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Same problem here with KB937061 on two different machines (one is Windows 2003 Enterprise Server amd64 SP2, and the other is Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, both have VS 2005 SP1 installed).  I do not have the Cyrstal Reports component of Visual Studio installed on either machine.  Both Windows Update and Automatic Updates keep saying I need to install this update, even after I have already installed it and rebooted, and even though the update shows as installed in Add/Remove Programs.

Someone obviously didn't bother performing even the most basic testing on this update before it went out...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Reproduced on Windows Vista x64 w/ VS2005 Team Suite for Software Developers
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Read this thread from a NNTP group:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/9e0660e486d4d595/6f799a41c761f959?#6f799a41c761f959

Specially the not of Eric:

Eric Brodish [MSFT]
    If you have VS 2005 SP1 present but the Crystal Reports feature is not present, MS07-052 is re-offered. Customers are protected and are not at risk to this vulnerability We will be updating the detection on Microsoft Update, customers that have already installed this update need to take no action.  We are working to resolve this issue and it should be fixed shortly Thank you Eric

How to get arround:

• Simply open the Microsoft Update homepage from yoor IE
    • Select user defined installation.
    • List the updates
    • Deselect the security update for VS, also set a check to hide this update.

HTH

Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:27 AM
  •  

"

• Simply open the Microsoft Update homepage from yoor IE
    • Select user defined installation.
    • List the updates
    • Deselect the security update for VS, also set a check to hide this update."

Which is fine if you have one machine, we have between 90 and 120.  I guess the thing to do in our case is to block this update using WSUS.

Andy

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:55 AM
  • Hi All.

Found a way to break the SUS crazy cycle. Go to the http://www.update.microsoft.com/ site. Do a Custom scan. The KB937061 patch will be listed.  Check off the option to block this update. Violia!!!

Rob

Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:42 AM
  •  

Same Error At:

Windows XP SP2 x86 + VS 2005 SP1

Windowx 2003 x64 SP2 + VS 2005 SP1

Vista Business x64 + VS 2005 SP1

No CrystalReport installed.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:42 PM
  • I have the same problem and I do have Crystal installed.

The machine is XP Pro.

Keeps installing over and over again.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I just wrote up a quick post with full workaround instructions (complete with pictures ) for Vista.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Hey everyone.

First, I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience this problematic patch has caused all of you. The good news is that every reinstall attempt was a no-op, so you don't have all sorts of garbage sitting on your disk.

Even better news: a new version of this patch has been published to Microsoft Update, and the issue should be resolved. If you see this patch offered again, try clearing your update cache using these commands:

net stop wuauserv

rmdir /S/Q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

net start wuauserv

Please feel free to email me directly at scottno@microsoft.com if you continue to experience problems. Thanks for your patience!

Scott Nonnenberg

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Thanks, Scott. This looks like it solved it for me. Very frustrating problem, but glad you found a solution. Unfortunately, I'll have to do this on multiple systems at work. Any way to have this updated automatically through Windows Update? Stopping the update service, removing a folder, and restarting the service on multiple PCs would require a script from me, and I'm no Windows Server scripting expert.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 10:11 PM
  •  Scott Nonnenberg MSFT wrote:

a new version of this patch has been published to Microsoft Update, and the issue should be resolved.

thank you very much.

The problem has been fixed automatically i.e. Windows Update automatically removed the patch from the list of hidden patches. Excellent work.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:51 AM
  • Scott, I just discovered that doing this has wiped all of my saved preferences for permanently setting specific updates to "do not show", meaning that I will not be prompted to install them (several "updates" I do not want). I wouldn't suggest instructing others to do this without explaining the consequences.

So this morning, all of the updates I've hid before popped up again, asking me to update. Also, this KB937061 popped up again. Is the KB937061 fixed now? I set it to hide regardless. I'm tired of fooling around with something meant to be automatically tracked.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I too experienced the same update loop but managed to stop it by deselecting the item in the update list. However ever since then I have had a problem starting VB6. Every time I run it Windows Installer starts and appears to hang - msiexec.exe grabs over 90% of the CPU cycles.

The event log contains the following:

====================================================================

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 17/09/2007

Time: 15:47:03

User: ELIN\Tim Radford

Computer: ELIN

Description:

Detection of product '{437AB8E0-FB69-4222-B280-A64F3DE22591}', feature 'VB_for_VS_7_Pro' failed during request for component '{DD68FEE8-C369-11D1-A173-00A0C90AB50F}'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

====================================================================

Many posts mentioned Crystal Reports; I don't have this installed.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tim Radford

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Hello again, everyone.

@BillD - great to hear that our changes solved your problem!

@cipher nemo - I'm sorry to hear that the workaround erased some of your preferences - to be honest, I wasn't aware that this was a side effect of the steps I provided. Sorry about that. Hopefully it wasn't too painful restoring them?

To answer your question about applying this to multiple machines, the expectation is that the workaround steps are only required if, after a few days, the updated patch isn't automatically downloaded and applied. I asked around a bit to determine the best set of steps to get into the stable and secure state, and a final installation of the patch is not required. If you've installed it once, you shouldn't need to install it again to have it disappear from the list of patches to install.

@Tim Radford - Following up via email.

Again, please don't hesitate to contact me or Microsoft Support if you have problems with this patch (for more information regarding our support policies for security updates, please see the bulletin itself: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-052.mspx).

Scott Nonnenberg

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:48 PM
  •  

Hi,

We get our updates through WSUS 2. We have not received an updated version for this patch and therefore, it is still being offered repeatedly.

Any idea of when would we have the detection logic updated on our WSUS?

Thanks!

Shalom,

Memo

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Hey Memo.

I've spoken with some of the experts on this, and they agree that you should definitely see the new version of the patch by now. If you are still seeing the old version, please don't hesitate to call Microsoft Support to dig into the behavior - it's likely a bug.

Thanks,
    Scott Nonnenberg

scottno@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I guess I lost the battle.  KB937061 was just delayed one cycle in the update, and now it is appearing again (and again).

----------------------------------

Been battling this fix for a long time.   Then something (apparently) good happened.

KB944338 failed today, and the suggested resolution was to install scriptn.

I did ... and KB937061 was not offered again following the reboot.

No other precision surgery was performed  (foolish things, like uninstalling IE7, removing SoftwareDistro, etc)

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:22 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem except I have a XML Core Services update being installed over and over: as Express Install, as Custom Install, or as AN install upon shutting down computer. No use: it's being offered again and again.

What should I do?

Thanks!
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:18 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with update kb2538242 with windows vista.I have already installed it 5 times!!! It keeps on prompting me to install it over and over and over again.

Is so annoying to have that update symbol when I have already installed it.

What the heck is going on????

Can anyone help?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:52 AM