none
MakeCert Error: Too many parameters

Question

• Does anyone have any insight as to why I am getting the error: too many parameters when I am issuing the following makecert command? I am using makecert from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin.

makecert –m 360 –n “CN=Demo Signing Certificate” –iv CJFTestRoot.pvk –ic CJFTestRoot.cer –cy end –pe –sv CJFsignedcert.pvk CJFsignedcert.cer

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:52 PM

Answers

• The '-' character that is in the command line above is the character \u2013 (DASH-EN), and not the "minus" sign (\u002D). When pasted to the command line, it will become the byte 0x96, which is not understood by the tool. Try changing the '-' characters to the correct one, and it should work.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:48 PM
  • Chris,

I copied and pasted your command line and I got the exact same error. But if I typed in the command by hand it appeared to work (at least it prompted me for a password instead of displaying the error message). Are you running the command from a batch file or something? It's possible that there are some escape characters in the command line that is confusing makecert. Have you tried typing the command in by hand?

Thanks,

Michael Green [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:23 PM

All replies

• Chris,

I copied and pasted your command line and I got the exact same error. But if I typed in the command by hand it appeared to work (at least it prompted me for a password instead of displaying the error message). Are you running the command from a batch file or something? It's possible that there are some escape characters in the command line that is confusing makecert. Have you tried typing the command in by hand?

Thanks,

Michael Green [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:23 PM
  • The '-' character that is in the command line above is the character \u2013 (DASH-EN), and not the "minus" sign (\u002D). When pasted to the command line, it will become the byte 0x96, which is not understood by the tool. Try changing the '-' characters to the correct one, and it should work.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:48 PM