none
WF 4.0 Platform Update 1 Applied but not seeing StateMachine Tab in the Toolbox?

Question

• I applied the .NET 4.0 Platform update #1 but am not seeing the State Machine tab in the designer toolbox.  (I am running VS 2010 SP1)

Did I miss a step somewhere? :)

Thanks

Nikos

Νικοσ Γιαννιοσ
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:53 PM

Answers

• This was the overlooked step:  The project properties had .NET Framework 4 Client Profile selected  ---- you have to change it to .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Platform Update 1

Now I see the state machine tab in the toolbox....

HTH anyone else that runs into this....

Nikos

Νικοσ Γιαννιοσ
    • Marked as answer by Nikos Yannios Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:19 PM

All replies

• missed a step - There are two updates but still don't see that state machine tab in the toolbox on my .NET 4 workflow activity

1) Designer update: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11705

2) Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=608

Nikos

Νικοσ Γιαννιοσ

• Edited by Nikos Yannios Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:10 PM revised
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:17 PM
  • This was the overlooked step:  The project properties had .NET Framework 4 Client Profile selected  ---- you have to change it to .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Platform Update 1

Now I see the state machine tab in the toolbox....

HTH anyone else that runs into this....

Nikos

Νικοσ Γιαννιοσ
    • Marked as answer by Nikos Yannios Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:19 PM
  • The Microsoft .NET Platform Update 1 consists of three packages:

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 (KB2478063)
      • This package contains the runtime files for the platform update. This package must be deployed on systems where applications that target the platform update are deployed.
    • Multi-Targeting Pack for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 (KB2495638)
      • This package contains reference assemblies and intellisense files for the platform update. This package is installed as part of the next package.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 – Design-time Package for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 (KB2495593)
      • This package installs the previous two packages and configures Visual Studio 2010 SP1 with new .NET Framework targeting profiles, intellisense, and adds the state machine activities to the toolbox.

Referenced from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/endpoint/archive/2011/04/18/microsoft-net-framework-4-platform-update-1.aspx

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Still facing this issue - the following has been done

VS 2010 SP1 - Installed
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 KB2478063 - Installed
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 - Design-time Package for Visual Studio 2010 SP 1 KB2495593 - Installed
    Multi-Targeting Pack for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 KB2495638 - Installed

Project Target Framework set to - .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 (KB2378063)

and still not StateMachine Tab Item in the Designer Toolbox

Any suggestions welcome.

Ryan

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:42 PM
  • @Ryan
    In your case I would try exiting all Visual Studio instances and then deleting the hidden toolbox cache files

del /ah %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\toolbox*.tbd

(This will also make the VS toolbox quite slow to load once, the next time you start VS.)
    Tim

Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:12 AM
  • Just wondering - did the last suggestion help at all?

Friday, August 05, 2011 2:49 AM
  • I have identical case where I applied Update1 and nothing shows in VS2010 - no StateMachine Workflow project templates when I select .NET Framework 4 Platform Update 1 in the combo box...

and I dont have any *.tbd file on my machine. My VS2010 has SP1.

So what gives? I am really frustrated at this point after trying it on 3 separate machines (32- and 64 bit Win7)... Do you have any solutions for this problem?

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Hi securigy2,

-Do you have KB2495638 installed?
    -Do you have show hidden files/folders turned on? The .tbd files are hidden.

Tim

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:09 AM
  • I tried all the previous suggestions including deleting the *.tbd files and the State Machine tab is still not appearing in the toolbox. Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi v5out,
    I'm not sure what can be going wrong if you've tried all the suggestions in this thread.

But it could be a good idea to try ruling out general machine setup specific issues such as
    -damaged VS/.net install [try repair option?]
    -damaged .Net 4.0.1 update installs [try repair option?]
    -VS addon which interferes with updating the toolbox

I suppose you can also try the newer version of these updates to VS and .net in case they work any better, or in case they repair any of the installation issues above

-VS 2010 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23691

-Design time update for .Net framework GDR (4.0.2) (apparently inludes runtime and multitargetting updates also)

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27759

I'm really interested to hear back from you on whether any of these suggestions help, even if the answer is no.
    Tim

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:49 AM
  • Hi Tim, thanks for reply. My instance of VS is failing updates and crashes occasionally so I'm guessing it's a damaged install. Going to re-install everything and will let you know.

For reference, I had SP1 and was using .NET Framework 4.03 on a x64 Win7 machine. Also, I use MS Enterprise Lib 5.0 and Unity 2.0 both of which I'm leaving on the machine, just removing programs that have Visual Studio in the title. The only add-on that was installed was Telerik's.

Regards

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hi again, Tim.

Well, removing VS 2010 and all the updates and re-installing them worked (i.e. I now see "State Machine" in the toolbox) but I sure couldn't tell you why.

Incidentally, VS 2010 SP1 gives a very scary warning if you attempt to remove it so I left it on and re-applied it after re-installing VS 2010. The re-application failed quite a few places, e.g. on F#, no idea if that is normal, so I'll see if VS is any more stable going forward.

Regards

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:58 PM