none
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found

Question

• I recently installed Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition.
    When I check Event Viewer I'm finding a number of Errors from
    the Source SideBySide. The Description reads 'Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT
    could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.'
    I did some searches and got a pointer to vcredist_x86.exe which seems to be
    distributed with Visual Studio. I did run that executable and it ran an install
    successfully. I rebooted my machine. Then I checked Event Viewer and
    I'm still seeing the same errors. So I'm thinking there must be another
    path I should be going down to try to resolve this. Since the problem seemed
    to start with my install of VS I thought I'd give it a try here.

Any ideas on what I can do to eliminate these errors in Event Viewer?

Thanks!
    Friday, May 29, 2009 12:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Randyw57,

As I mentioned ,
    Vcredist .exe is a executable file that installs the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ run-time files. So it is related to VC project.

I know that you are learning C# programming. You have tried running sample C# code and it works well. I think that it doesn't matter when C# programming is applied.

If you need further investigation on your C++ run-time components issue, I think the better consulting place should be Visual C++ General forums.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:39 AM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Randyw57,

Then I checked Event Viewer and
    I'm still seeing the same errors.
    Is the time of the error event different from the time of previous one? If the timestamps are identical, it isn't the matter.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 11:30 AM
  • Hi, YiChun!
    I rebooted my machine and then checked Event Viewer/System.
    There was a set of 3 SideBySide Error's timestamped 4:44:38 PM.
    Then there was another set of 3 SideBySide Error's timestamped 4:45:07 PM.
    Each group of 3 was composed of 1 EventId 32 and 2 EventID's 59.

Hope that helps!
    Monday, June 01, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Hi Randyw57,

Does Visual Studio IDE work well? Please check whether you can debug, build or run VC project in Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition. If no issue occurs, it means that vcredist is well installed.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Figo Fei Friday, June 05, 2009 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hi, YiChun!
    OK, I have been a Visual Basic student using Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition.
    Now I am going to be starting classes for C#.
    Is there possibly a 'sample' application that I could try to run on my system?
    I'd like to be comfortable that my system is working fine before I start class
    and run into some problems.

Thanks for any help!
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hi Randyw57,

You can try the simple C# code from the following tutorial.
    C#
    tutorial: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436(VS.71).aspx

For more information on C# samples, see: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/csharpsamples

Thanks

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:34 AM
  • OK, I loaded the Samples for C# from MSDN.
    I ran some of those. They seemed to do ok.
    Then I checked the Event log again.
    I noticed that I had a couple of pages of SideBySide Errors from yesterday afternoon.
    When I wasn't even using my pc.
    I also got another set of 3 around the time that I started working with the samples.
    I think one of the reasons for my concern is that my Event Log doesn't seem to have
    any other 'Error' types in System besides these SideBySide errors.

Any thoughts?
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hi Randyw57,

Is your OS 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thanks

Friday, June 05, 2009 3:33 AM
    Windows XP Media Center 2002 SP3.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Hi Randyw57,

As I mentioned ,
    Vcredist .exe is a executable file that installs the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ run-time files. So it is related to VC project.

I know that you are learning C# programming. You have tried running sample C# code and it works well. I think that it doesn't matter when C# programming is applied.

If you need further investigation on your C++ run-time components issue, I think the better consulting place should be Visual C++ General forums.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:39 AM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 3:23 AM
  • If you have access to the DLL sources, you may change the properties of how it is compiled by following the steps:

Quoting from:

http://www.rhyous.com/2010/09/16/avoiding-the-msvcr100-dll-or-msvcr100d-dll/ 

Statically Linking the DLLs

Make sure you resolve it for both Release and Debug.  The steps are slightly different.

Release

1. In Visual Studio, I went to the project Properties.
    2. I changed my Configuration to Release.
    3. I went under Configuration Properties | C/C++ | Code Generation
    4. Look at the Runtime Library setting.  It is set to this: Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)
      Change it to this: Multi-threaded (/MT)
    5. Rebuild.

Debug

Almost exactly the same as release.

1. In Visual Studio, I went to the project Properties.
    2. I changed my Configuration to Debug.
    3. I went under Configuration Properties | C/C++ | Code Generation
    4. Look at the Runtime Library setting.  It is set to this: Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)
      Change it to this: Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)
    5. Rebuild the debug

It might be a good idea for me to figure out how to change the project so when I create a new project of this type, those settings are the default.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:02 AM