none
Again, is cout buffered or unbuffered ?

Question

• On this thread it was shown that cout is unbuffered when directed to the console. However when I run this code I get that the default value for the std::ios_base::unitbuf flag for the stream cout is unset, which says the contrary, i.e., that cout is buffered.

#include <iostream>

int main()
    {
    	// This prints "unset" for the default value of the flag
    // std::ios_base::unitbuf for the stream cout std::cout << "Flag unitbuf " <<
    (std::cout.flags() & std::ios_base::unitbuf ? "set" : "unset") << '\n'; }

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:21 PM

Answers

• On 1/22/2013 1:21 PM, Ayrosa wrote:

On this thread <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/415aac5f-0bf1-4ad1-a673-597ac042d36f> it was shown that cout is unbuffered when directed to the console. However when I run this code I get that the default value for the std::ios_base::unitbuf flag for the stream/cout/ is /unset/, which says the contrary, i.e., that /cout/ is buffered.

unitbuf flag controls whether the buffer is flushed after each output operation. As such, it only affects buffered streams - if there's no buffer, there's nothing to flush. This is similar to how the output of printf() appears on the console immediately, without you having to call fflush(stdout).

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Ayrosa Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:06 PM

All replies

• On 1/22/2013 1:21 PM, Ayrosa wrote:

On this thread <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/415aac5f-0bf1-4ad1-a673-597ac042d36f> it was shown that cout is unbuffered when directed to the console. However when I run this code I get that the default value for the std::ios_base::unitbuf flag for the stream/cout/ is /unset/, which says the contrary, i.e., that /cout/ is buffered.

unitbuf flag controls whether the buffer is flushed after each output operation. As such, it only affects buffered streams - if there's no buffer, there's nothing to flush. This is similar to how the output of printf() appears on the console immediately, without you having to call fflush(stdout).

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Ayrosa Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:06 PM
  • >Again, is cout buffered or unbuffered ?

You were given the definitive answer in the other
    thread from the Microsoft employee who maintains
    the Standard Library and iostreams.

- Wayne
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:02 PM
  • WayneAKing wrote:

You were given the definitive answer in the other
    thread from the Microsoft employee who maintains
    the Standard Library and iostreams.
    The problem Wayne is that MS own docs contradict what Mr. Lavavej said. But I have no more doubts in my mind that cout is unbuffered ! Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:19 PM