none
Visual Studio 2005 Professional Product key

Question

• My MSDN subscription lapsed in March last year. I have MSDN CDs for Visual Studio 2005 Professional and now I want to install it.

Although I can still log in to the MSDN subscribers' area, I don't seem to be able to view product keys anywhere. I accept that this may be because my subscription has lapsed.

The only product key in the printed documentation is for VS .NET (i.e. 2005 not specified). Is the product key the same for all versions - i.e. can I use this key to activate Visual Studio 2005 Professional?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 5:01 PM

Answers

• Have you tried installing it? I mean do you even need to enter a product key? I thought that the product keys for Visual Studio 2005 were embedded.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:47 PM

All replies

• Your license to use Visual Studio 2005 from the MSDN Subscriber downloads expires with your MSDN Subscription and you can't use the key for VS.NET 2003 to install Visual Studio 2005 Professional.
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Thanks but I'm not sure I understand the point(s) being made here, sorry.

I understand that my ability to download could be well and truly gone but I have the CDs and my licence to use them should not expire with my MSDN subscription. I have hundreds of MSDN CDs and many, many product keys - so there's lots of stuff I could intsall tomorrow if I really wanted to. The only one I truly want to install is VS 2005 but I don't know where to find the product key.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Have you tried installing it? I mean do you even need to enter a product key? I thought that the product keys for Visual Studio 2005 were embedded.
    Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Have tried now and it installed without incident so I guess you are right! Thank you for your persistence and apologies for taking up your time.
    Monday, February 05, 2007 9:29 AM