none
After a fresh install of Win XP, MSVCP71.dll and msvcr71.dll are Missing

Question

•  

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 410 desktop and installed Win XP Media Center with a Service Pack 2.

Evrything looks fine but ...when I run some application, my screen says

MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll are missing.

Even after a fresh install of Win XP Media Center, I don't understand

why a few system files are missing...

Could you tell me what causes the problem?

Do I have a defective Windows XP CD?

Is it normal with a fresh install of Win XP with Service Pack 2, missing MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll?

Thanks

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:06 PM

Answers

• I have run media edition in two boxes one a generic box and one a Toshiba Laptop without issues so your problem could be related to Dell.  So you need to check Dell support forums.  Hope this helps.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:11 PM

All replies

• I have run media edition in two boxes one a generic box and one a Toshiba Laptop without issues so your problem could be related to Dell.  So you need to check Dell support forums.  Hope this helps.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:11 PM
  • I have the same problem and it not a Dell PC...infact i have repaired .net 1.1 ...installed its SP...installed 2.0 with service pack and 3.0 and 3.5 pre-release.
    The problem persists.
    The application support guys call it an MS issue and cant help

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:55 PM
  • XP wont have Visual Studio 7 Dll files, you have to install it separately..

Search in google, you can get these files.....

if you dont get, ask me, i'll give
    Friday, November 16, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Friday, November 16, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I don't believe that msvcr71.dll is considered a system file anymore and should be installed in the same folder as the application that requires it and not the system32 folder. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922

It can be downloaded from various sources on the internet or copied from another computer if required.

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:35 AM
  • I have the same problem with MSVCP71.dll I've checked these sources on the net, and it seems all of them want you to buy software that loads up your computer with drivers that you really don't need besides the one you really need. Some of these programs will install what appears to be at least 100 drivers when you only want one.

I found one place where you could download this one driver, but the instructions the give you to install it do not work. After these instructions, they point you towards a driver installer that you buy to use.

I need MSVCP71.dll but do not want to pay for something that will install unnecessary items and fill up my drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Monday, September 06, 2010 7:35 AM