none
Visual Studio 2010 Crashes - EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe

Question

• Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of VS 2010 Premium version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel and it jsut keeps crashing for no obvious reason. 

I had a look in the event viewer and this is what I got:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Microsoft Visual Studio

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5000

Date: 15/07/2011

Time: 15:07:55

User: N/A

Computer: *********

Description:

EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 10.0.40219.1, P3 4d5f2a73, P4 microsoft.visualstudio.platform.vseditor, P5 10.0.0.0, P6 4d5f07e4, P7 1a10, P8 0, P9 system.dllnotfoundexception, P10 NIL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm running XP x86 and no one else in my team gets this problem.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and tried a number of other things can anyone please help?!

DD

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi DD,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

First, could you please let me know whether you have installed Service Pack 3 for your Windows XP? If you have not upgraded your Windows XP to Service Pack 3, I recommend you update your OS.

Here are my suggestions:

·         Please download the ISO files of Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=12187

·         Extract the ISO files to your local hard disk.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) or upload it to other website like Windows Live SkyDrive.

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 01, 2011 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:16 AM

All replies

• Do you have Service Pack 3 for XP installed?

Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi DD,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

First, could you please let me know whether you have installed Service Pack 3 for your Windows XP? If you have not upgraded your Windows XP to Service Pack 3, I recommend you update your OS.

Here are my suggestions:

·         Please download the ISO files of Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=12187

·         Extract the ISO files to your local hard disk.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) or upload it to other website like Windows Live SkyDrive.

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 01, 2011 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:16 AM
  • hii;

i downloaded visual studio 2010 ultimate but i connot start it. msvcr100.dll fault and it say devenv.exe-broken image. i tried everything you said but i cannot fix it. i use 32 bit and windows 7. what should i do??thanks...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Hi Ceren1641,

I recommend you create a new thread in this forum and collect the logs by the tool I mentioned. Then I can analyze your problem in depth.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:21 AM