none
Problem with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Question

• I recently downloaded KB951847 via Windows Update.  The installation was interrupted and I do not believe this was installed correctly.  I am running XP Pro SP2.  When I restart my PC a window appears: Windows Installer , Preparing to install and nothing appears to be happening.  Upon clicking cancel a window appears: Document Viewer, "An installation package for Document Viewer could not be found.  Try installation again using valid copy of installation package".  After clicking cancel here another message appears:  "MS .NET Framwork  An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  Click continue and the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Clicking continue only repeats the above message.  The only way to get out of this message is to open Task Manager and end the task.  I tried to uninstall the software through Add/Remove Programs but I am not allowed to uninstall 3.5 SP1.  I also tried to do a system restore to a state before downloading KB951847 but System Restore could not restore to an earlier point.  Everything appears to be running normally but I'd like to get this problem corrected.  I am not a Windows genius so some gentle help would be appreciated.  Is there a way to remove this update?  Should I try removing it in safe mode?  Can I download and install it again over the existing installation?  Please help!! 
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:06 AM

Answers

• Can you uninstall the update in Control Panel > add/remove programs? (check the "show updates" there)

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, February 23, 2009 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• Go to Start\Run and type in regedit. Hit Return.
    Then press F3 in the box type c:\hp\tmp\src\CDB\setup\DocumentViewer
    Let regedit run to find any\all instances of that statement.
    In the R\H pane, delete them. Then Restart your machine.

The only other way is to run a registry cleaner. www.ccleaner.com/
    CCleaner can do this with the Issues button.
    But you must Save first.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    somen das
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:29 PM
  • The search in the registry found nothing!  What do you mean by "But you must Save first" when discussing using ccleaner?  Also, the search string suggests that the problem is in Hewlett-Packard document viewer.  Is that correct?  The problem seemed to occur when installing KB951847.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Can you install the .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 manually from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:34 AM
  • I'm sure I can install it manually but I've already tried to install it through Windows Update and I cannot uninstall it.  Can I download and install it again over the current installation?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Can you uninstall the update in Control Panel > add/remove programs? (check the "show updates" there)

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, February 23, 2009 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I was able to uninstall the updates downloaded on 2/5/09 successfully contrary to the problem I on my initial post.  However, I am still getting the messages described in the initial post when I restart my computer.  I have not had a chance to download and install KB951847 manually as you suggested.  Will the successful installation of KB951847 possibly eliminate the error messages?  I will try to download and install tonight so that I may report to you before your next post.  Thanks, you are being helpful.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:29 PM
  •  When I uninstalled the updates that gave me the error messages all versions of .NET Framework were uninstalled except for .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366).  Is it necessary to reinstall all subsequent .NET Framework updates (ie .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 and security updates, .NET Framework 2.0 and security updates and .NET FRamework 3.0 and security updates?   
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:39 PM
  • You don't have to, just to install .NET 3.5 SP1.
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:47 AM
  • I was able to install .NET 3.5 SP1 succesfully from the link you provided.  However, when I restart the computer I still get the same error messages.  What else can I do?  Please help. 

Also, I ran a registry checker from Norton System Works and it found some registry errors related to .Net Framework.  The error messages are as follows:

1) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.Jscript.tlb”

2) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.Vsa.tlb”

3) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.Vsa.Vb.codeDOMProcessor.tlb”

4) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.mscoree.tlb”

5) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Microsoft.mscorlib.tlb”

6) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\

System.drawing.tlb”

7) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\System.EnterpriseServices.tlb”

8) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\System.tlb”

9) The key “SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs,” refers to a missing file, “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\System.Windows.Forms.tlb”

I also ran a program intergrity check in Norton and it found a number of instances where file MSVCR80.dll could not be accessed.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:20 PM
  • You may try .NET Framework removal to remove .NET 1.0 version: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/f3f4a75b-9b7d-444d-aa4f-6c01d6f62f72#How_to_remove_NET_framework

Thanks.

Friday, February 27, 2009 3:45 AM
  • I was able to uninstall .NET 1.1, however the messages still appear.  I also found some diagnostic information in the window I described in my first post above about an .NET Framework unhandled exception.  I don't claim to understand any of this information but there is reference to to Hewlett-Packard files relating to my HP C5180 all in one printer.  I tried to launch some of the programs in the HP suite of programs and one of them (HP Document Viewer) causes the precise error described in my first post.  I am going to uninstall that program and see if the error persists upon reboot.  If so, I will uninstall all of the HP programs in the HP suite.  If this resolves the error I will reinstall the programs.  The Norton System Works registry checker will correct registry errors.  Do you recommend doing this after I have uninstalled/reinstalled HP software?  What else can I try?
    Monday, March 02, 2009 3:21 AM
  • I uninstalled all the HP printer programs and restarted the computer with no .NET Framework error messages.  I then reinstalled the HP printer programs and, rebooted and still no error messages.  I ran all the HP programs and no error messages.  There are still registry errors found when I run the Norton System Works registry checker.  I am reluctant to clean these errors just yet.   I will let the computer run as is for a period of time (weeks) before cleaning them.  Thanks for your help.  Although your advice was not directed at the HP programs you helped with what to do with .NET Framework and it caused me to loook deeper into the error messages and registry checker results to find the true source of the errors.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 3:17 PM