none
TFS 2010 - Bug work item - Make "Type your comment here" on History mandatory

Question

• I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with trying to make the "Type your comment here" 'field' with the History section. Basically, whenever someone makes a change, the history is recorded, but we want to be able to force the user to leave an explanation as to why they did whatever they did.

Thanks in adavance!

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can modify the bug work item template with a field include the "comment" and set as "REQUIRED" attribute in it. 

Basically the concept is to export the process template, modify the work item definition and import the process template. 

For details you can refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd695793

Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:26 AM
  • I can't tell if you're recommending that I add a new field or adjust the proporties of the existing. Unfortunately, any attempts we've made to make the out of the box "Type your comments here" in the history section don't appear to work. My preference is to stay away from adding a new field that will act as essentionally a work log not a field that must have 'something' in it.

The concept we're trying to create is a work log where as the ticket moves through the ticket life cycle, the person modifying the ticket is being asked to leave a 'note' of 'why' they did what they did. The history already provides the 'what'.

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your post. 

As far as I know there’s no way to make “Type your comment here” as REQUIRED in the default History filed. You can submit it as a suggestion to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. 

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by TFS_Chris Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:59 AM