none
MSB3021: Unable to copy file ... Could not find file

Question

•  

Hello all,

I have a weird problem with the TFS Build.

I created Build type and when I run it, it continiues to fail with this message:

error MSB3021: Unable to copy file "...\Sources\...\ModulesConfiguration.xml" to "...\Binaries\...\ModulesConfiguration.xml". Could not find file "...\Sources\...\ModulesConfiguration.xml"

So, I checked in the source control explorer and realized that this file was exist but deleted by a developer a few days ago.

So I understand why the TFS Build cannot copy the file... it doesn't exist! How come TFS build thinks it still there..?

and how can I make it work?

I also got this errors:

• MSB3073 
    • MSB3554: Cannot write to the output file

but I think these are another issues..

Thank you

Roy.

(Team Server 2005 installed)
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:30 PM

Answers

• Roy,

Thanks for the extra info.

Have you checked that the file that was removed from Version Control was also removed from the project?  I know our developers in my company can forget to remove it from the project (or forget to checkin the modified project file) on occasion but succeed in removing the file from VC.  This is another reason that the build will continue to try and copy a file that may not exist.

--Craig

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:39 PM

All replies

• At which point in the build process do you get this error? Did you override some TeamBuild target to add a copy task to copy this file (check in the TfsBuild.proj for your build type)? That would be the most likely reason why TFS Team Build is trying to copy the file and failing because the file does not exist.

Swaha

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:11 PM
  • There could many reasons why it continues to try and copy the file.  One is that the command exists in the Pre/Post build events (can't really tell without more of the surrounding logs).  Same reason around any custom targets/tasks that may be running.

I'd also like to point out that your path in the post is showing 3 '...' in the path that is being copied, is this a typo or an actual mistake?

--Craig

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:48 AM
  • Hello Craig,

Well, it's not Pre/Post build events for sure... the solution (csproj) has no pre\post build events and the tfs build is pretty simple - I didn't add or edit anything.

In the path I wanted to emphesize the source and destination folders (Sources and Binaries in the build workspace...) this is the full message:

Solution: MyApp.Framework.Config.sln, Project: MyApp.Framework.Configuration.csproj, Compilation errors and warnings
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(2532,9): error MSB3021: Unable to copy file "D:\Company Shared Folders\TfsBuild\Builds\MyApp\DailyBuild\Sources\Dev\Sources\MyApp.Framework.Config\MyApp.Framework.Config\ModulesConfiguration.xml" to "D:\Company Shared Folders\TfsBuild\Builds\MyApp\DailyBuild\Binaries\Release\ModulesConfiguration.xml". Could not find file 'D:\Company Shared Folders\TfsBuild\Builds\MyApp\DailyBuild\Sources\Dev\Sources\MyApp.Framework.Config\MyApp.Framework.Config\ModulesConfiguration.xml'.

That's the first message in release.txt

Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Roy,

Thanks for the extra info.

Have you checked that the file that was removed from Version Control was also removed from the project?  I know our developers in my company can forget to remove it from the project (or forget to checkin the modified project file) on occasion but succeed in removing the file from VC.  This is another reason that the build will continue to try and copy a file that may not exist.

--Craig

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:39 PM