none
Visual C# and SQL Server

Question

• Hi, I am currently using ACCESS 2003 but I am planning to develop a GUI using .NET (Visual C#). I have been told from other forums here in msdn that the best option is to use SQL Server instead of ACCESS 2003 because I am planning to use this database from many computers on the asme LAN at the same time. The DB is located on a network drive. I saw other forums that someone say that SQL Server Express is limited to 10 users only and 4G bytes of data. Is this true? What are the limitations? I am planning to have around 30 persons using this DB, is this possible? The data is not big, it is around 100M bytes ... Thanks for your time
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

• IS  it necesary to have a server in order to use SQL Server Express?

The answer is yes, sort of. Sql Server is a server. It also has a new clients you can instantiate. So, there is a server in there, that's it. It has limited capabilities as John said not good for anything but toying around. Sql Express comes as a standard feature now of any MS OS, like Vista Ult, Windows Server, Windows 7, etc.
    AlexB
    • Marked as answer by Kikeman Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• For limitation of SQL Server express edition visit following link

http://www.dotnetspider.com/SqlServer-Tutorial-158.aspx

Below link has comparison or in a way all the things which sql server express support and what is not supported.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx (for SQL Express 2005)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx (For SQL Express 2008)

Gaurav Khanna
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:07 PM
  • I don't quite recall if I ever touched the Access, perhaps I've had but on a limited basis. For any serious woirk on a corporate level Sql Server is certainly the DB of choice. You never know what is going to happen to Access tomorrow. If the number of users declines, MS will terminate support pretty much like it happened to Visual Fox. It looks you may need Enterprise Edition because you will need 30 instances of clients simultaneously. With your limited data consumption otherwise Ent Ed will be an overkill. Sql Server is a way of the future, MS is investing a lot in it and it is well integrated with .NET now.
    AlexB
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Hi, I am confused now, I am not allow to use any server, I only have the option of using a network drive, currently the ACCESS DB is located there and everyone goes there to make their queries. I just want to create a better GUI using VS_C#.

My question would be now.
    Is it necesary to have a server in order to use SQL Server Express?

Could it work only as a collection of data on a network-drive, so that, the DB operations would be performed on the C# application? Transactions?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:17 PM
  • If you are going to deploy a production app, in my opinion, SQL Express is not the way to go. At least with the workgroup, you get access to sql agent. The issues are not so much what you have today, but where your data and business needs will be tomorrow. Express is great for development and prototyping. I would not take it further than that.

JP
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:29 PM
  • IS  it necesary to have a server in order to use SQL Server Express?

The answer is yes, sort of. Sql Server is a server. It also has a new clients you can instantiate. So, there is a server in there, that's it. It has limited capabilities as John said not good for anything but toying around. Sql Express comes as a standard feature now of any MS OS, like Vista Ult, Windows Server, Windows 7, etc.
    AlexB
    • Marked as answer by Kikeman Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I was taking a look at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx#scalability

It says that I can use only one PC ... If there is no limit on the number of users what does "Number of CPUs: 1" mean?

If I have installed on a server SQL Server Express with multiple CPUs, Would use only one CPU at a time?

What if other users wants to consult the DB at the same time?
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:23 AM