none
i keep getting a comdlg32.ocx error

Answers

• In what context are you getting this erro and what does the error say?

This ActiveX control shipped in Visual Studio 6.0/Visual Basic 6.0 and is used for showing common dialogs (open/save).  You should be able to find this control in your windows\system32 directory.  Perhaps you just need to re-register it by typing "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx" from the command line in the system32 directory.

Hope this helps,
    Adam Braden
    Visual Basic Team

Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:16 PM
  • First, I'll assume you're running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. To run the command line click Start>Run...

In the run dialog type 'cmd'

A window with a dos prompt will come up.

At the prompt type the command "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx".

In order for this to work you must have administrator's rights. If you know the local administrator's password you can start the command line by going to c:\windows\system32 (or c:\winnt\system32 depending on how your computer is set up)

Find the cmd application, right click on it and choose Run As... from the menu. Then enter the Administrator account name and the administrator's password.

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:27 PM

All replies

• In what context are you getting this erro and what does the error say?

This ActiveX control shipped in Visual Studio 6.0/Visual Basic 6.0 and is used for showing common dialogs (open/save).  You should be able to find this control in your windows\system32 directory.  Perhaps you just need to re-register it by typing "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx" from the command line in the system32 directory.

Hope this helps,
    Adam Braden
    Visual Basic Team

Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:16 PM
  • Hi, I've come across this post trying to solve a problem with some vb based software. I tried your registration tip and received an error:

0x08002801c

Any ideas?

Friday, February 03, 2006 12:31 PM
  • I also have troubles with comdlg32.ocx

The program, that I'm tying to use, is "Steel Inventory 1.2.0.0" http://www.steelsonic.com/steelinventory.htm

ComDlg32.ocx: "5.1.43.19"

Error: Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from Comdlg32.ocx. Your version of Comdlg32.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

What am I to do about it?

Though!

ComDlg32.ocx: "6.0.84.18"

no errors...

Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:13 PM
  • I have come to realise that the file is only refusing to work for people who don't have administrative access to the drive, but I am using the version that came with the software. I'm just wondering if I overwrote the file myself when I was installling it. It's the old confusion between "Do you wish to replace..." and "Do you wish to keep..."

Friday, February 10, 2006 8:38 AM
  • I think, that "Steel Inventory" doesn't replace the file. It just uses what the folder "System32" has inside of it.

The solution might be in obtaining some newer version of ComDlg32.ocx for replacing via installing a software which brings it, or even manually if that's legal and secure.

Any ideas about these points?

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:27 AM
  • I'm not sure how you would go about doing it manually. I got this error when I tried the regsrv32 tip above:

DllRegisterServer in comdlg32.ocx failed.

Return code was: 0x8002801c

Right now the user I'm trying to work with has administrative access and I still can't make it work. Only network administrators are having any joy. I've completely uninstalled the program and will attempt the setup again. Wish me luck.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:39 PM
  • I wish you the best luck!

I've finished with the program, everything's ok now..

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:32 PM
  • Same here. All is well in the world again. Another happy customer. The program had to be installed under the users name using Run as... local administrator, but it worked, and that's all I care about.

For my own future reference, all dialogs must be read TWICE before doing anything.

The end!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:37 PM
  • I'm getting the same error: "Failed to load control 'CommonDialog' from COMDLG32.OCX. Your version of COMDLG32.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

How does one go about typing "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx" from the command line in the system32 directory?

What is the command line, and where do I go to be able to type that in?

Or do I need to do something else?  Can I download a version of COMDLG32.OCX that isn't out of date from somewhere?

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:17 PM
  • First, I'll assume you're running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. To run the command line click Start>Run...

In the run dialog type 'cmd'

A window with a dos prompt will come up.

At the prompt type the command "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx".

In order for this to work you must have administrator's rights. If you know the local administrator's password you can start the command line by going to c:\windows\system32 (or c:\winnt\system32 depending on how your computer is set up)

Find the cmd application, right click on it and choose Run As... from the menu. Then enter the Administrator account name and the administrator's password.

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:27 PM
  • Thanks.  That helped a lot.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:28 AM
  • You can download this file from

http://www.mundomessenger.com/descargar_archivo_requerido.php?archivo_id=305

it's work fine.

1º download the file

2º uncompress the comdlg.ocx file in c:\windows\system32

3º run a prompt (cmd, ms-dos, or wathever you wana call it)

4º type regsrv32 comdlg32.ocx

that's all

see you

Friday, October 27, 2006 8:54 AM
  • I am getting this error when I create a program on my PC, which has SP3, and try to execute it on my client's computer, which has SP2.

I'd like to get the SP2 version for this project but to keep the SP3 version for other applications. Is there a way?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:27 PM
  • hi this is a student...plz see dat i dont get this error once again
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:41 AM
  • I tried what Ultan wrote, but got the reply "loading the library (comdlg32.ocx) to memory failed - cannot find module". I also looked in the windows\system32 and windows\system folders and didn't notice the file there. What should I do?
    Thanks in advance for replying!
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I was getting this opening an Access 97 application in Access 2003 under XP with Visual Studio having never been installed (no comdlg32.ocx installed at all, only .dll)

This solution worked - once I remembered it's regsvr32 (not ...srv)

Thanks

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I am using Vista, i am the admin of the comp, i try to register the comdlg32.ocx file and it dont work. I try to open a program i need, and it says a file is missing or invalid, when i have already redownloaded the file and put it in the system32 folder. Then, when i go to register it i get another error message. (btw i saw a command and put it in, which UNregistered the comdlg32.ocx file, which was an accident)

plz help

Saturday, July 07, 2007 1:23 PM
  •  

I tried it, but it is not recognized.
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Make a bat file and run it on Administrator mode:

regsvr32 /u /s comdlg32.ocx

regsvr32 /s comdlg32.ocx

Ps you can do it same for another ocx or dll files

Veikko
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:08 AM
  •  Ultan wrote:

Pretty helpful, It really works dudes, Thankx

Abe

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:16 PM
  • but i have Vista, when i try to write "regsvr32 \windows\system\COMDLG32.OCX" in Run (i have comdlg32.ocx file in this path) its saying to me:

"The module "\windows\system\COMDLG32.OCX" was
    loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error
    code 0x8002801c.

For more information about this problem, search online
    using the error code as a search term."

what i need to do?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:02 AM
  • To register this file in Vista you need to run command prompt as administrator before registering the file

Click Start
    Click Accessories
    Right click Command Prompt
    Select Run as Administrator
    Put in your credentials for UAC prompt
    In the command prompt type in "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx" then press ENTER
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:01 PM
  • I ma having troubles with it to and im on windows 7

HELP

• Proposed as answer by bf449 Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:02 PM
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:02 PM