none
get Latest

Question

• Every time when i want to get Latest version of a project, why give me a message says All FIles are up to date.

No files were updated because the requested file versions were previously downloaded. To force an update, use the "Get Specific Version"  command with the "Force get" option checked.

What does it mean? What should I do to be able to ust get latest directly?

Thank you

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

TFS tracks version of files which were downloaded to your workspace. This means that if you do "Get Latest" and there are no new versions of files on the server you will get message "All fils are up to date". Is there any reason why you want to force get - are you manually changing/removing files from the disk?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

TFS tracks version of files which were downloaded to your workspace. This means that if you do "Get Latest" and there are no new versions of files on the server you will get message "All fils are up to date". Is there any reason why you want to force get - are you manually changing/removing files from the disk?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:35 PM
  • This user was not properly added to the Team Foundation Administrators group.

1. From the Team Explorer pane, right-click the project.
    2. From the context menu, choose Team Project Settings > Group Membership…
    3. From Project Group on <project name> pane, check the Show global groups checkbox.
    4. From the list of groups, select [SERVER]\Team Foundation Administrators
    5. Click the Properties button.
    6. From Team Foundation Server Group Properties prompt, click the Add button to add a Team Foundation Server Group member or a Window user or group.

Hope that helps.

Rita

• Proposed as answer by Bolivar DCC Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:35 AM
  • Hi Rita,

I have followed your advice to add the user. But the prompt is still showing.

Source control explorer

All Files are up to date.

No Files were updated because the requested file versions were previously downloaded. To force an update, use the "Get Specific Version" command with the "Force get..." option checked.

Is it because there is no recent change have been made in the project or what?

Thank you

jiajia

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:16 AM
  • The message means just what it says - your workspace is up to date.  Unless you have manually modified files on disk, you have the latest version.  If someone else makes a change and you run Get again, then those changes will be downloaded.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:59 PM
  •    I am also experiencing a similar problem. On my Team Build machine, I have two workspaces: one that the team_builds created by running a new build. The other I created to try and test out running MSBuild as a separate process with it's own msbuild.proj file.

I run: C:\SurfControl_MS>C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\MSBuild.exe c:\M
    SBuild\ms_get.proj /t:get

results:

Target get:
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\tf.exe" workspace /d
    elete SurfControl_MS /server:wbtfs01
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\tf.exe" workspace /n
    ew SurfControl_MS /server:wbtfs01
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\tf.exe" workfold /se
    rver:wbtfs01  /workspace:SurfControl_MS /map $/SurfControl; c:\SurfControl_MS
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\tf.exe" get "  $/Sur
    fControl" /recursive /version:T /force
        All files are up to date.

Build succeeded.
        0 Warning(s)
        0 Error(s)

Result:

the working folder: c:\SurfControl_MS is empty.  The "get" does nothing .  Why ?

Running a build thru VS2005 Team explorer does a "get" . So, I think it is safe to assume everything is setup correctly. I can also perform a get thru CruiseControl , but calling MSBuild directly doesn't work.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:42 PM
  • What working directory are those commands run from?  That's how tf get decides which workspace to operate in.

Also, you have an extra ';' in there, not sure what that might do.  /map $/SurfControl;
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:01 PM
  • Good catch on the extra " ;" , but that didn't change anything.

I am at DOS prompt(cmd line) cd to the working directory: C:\SurfControl_MS ( $(WorkingDirectory) ) . Both the Team_Builds workspace and the MS_Build workspace are attempting to build the same project: $/SurfControl , but are mapped to two different directories on my local drive. I even deleted a file in the Team_Builds workspace and reran the MSBuild cmd line and it didn't update either workspace. I was testing a theory that the MS_Build was mapping to Team_Build workspace.  Like I said CruiseControl and Team_Builds work. It will not update directly using MSBuild "get" command.

Iis this the correct way to do this with MSBuild? delete workspace, create it , map and get  ?

Any help appreciated.

Here is my ms.proj: get target

<Target Name="get">

<Exec Command="$(TfCommand) workspace /delete $(WorkSpaceName) /server:$(ServerName) " WorkingDirectory="$(WorkingDirectory)" ContinueOnError="false"/>

<Exec Command="$(TfCommand) workspace /new $(WorkSpaceName) /server:$(ServerName) " WorkingDirectory="$(WorkingDirectory)" ContinueOnError="false"/>

<Exec Command="$(TfCommand) workfold /server:$(ServerName)  /workspace:$(WorkSpaceName) /map $/SurfControl $(SolutionRoot)" />

<Exec Command="$(TfCommand) get &quot;  $/SurfControl&quot; /recursive /version:T /force"  WorkingDirectory="$(WorkingDirectory)" ContinueOnError="false" />

Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:54 PM
  • I can't spot any obvious flaws.  You might have better luck asking in the Team Build forum.
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:16 PM
  • Hello,

I thing I had a similar problem using tf.exe, but with NAnt.  Using the exec task gave me trouble, and it seemed like tf.exe never could figure out the right working folder to use.  the result was never being able to get latest.  Running all the same lines from the command prompt directly did work, it just didn't work from withint NAnt.  To fix this, I just wrote a batch file with the commands in it, and called that from NAnt. 

Just a thought.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:56 PM
  • > The message means just what it says - your workspace is up to date.  Unless you have

> manually modified files on disk, you have the latest version.  If someone else makes a change

> and you run Get again, then those changes will be downloaded.

This is simply not true.

We are having similar problems with TFS...  "Get Latest Version" just doesn't work as expected.

Myself and a colleague are working on the same project, we check our files in as necessary, but "Get Latest Version" and "Get Specific Version/Force" simply don't work.   They just don't think any files on our server have changed, but they blatantly have.

God, I miss SourceSafe 6.0.  

It looked good, it worked properly, and it had all the functionality you needed.

TFS...  well..   we just can't trust it.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:52 AM
  • This really work for me, thanks Rita
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:38 PM