none
¿How do I solve Errors 1935 and/or 2908 in Visual Basic 2010 Express?

Question

• I have found Millions of posts for this topic, but none of them has a clear answer. Most of the answers implicate downloading C++ Editor, but I just want to finish this off mannually. 

For those who don't know, this errors appear when I attempt to install Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express on my Windows 7 PC.

The installer manages to install half of the programs, including .NET Framework, but when it tries to intall Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express, it crashes with this kind of error.

It shows the 1935 error many times (Interesting fact: I learn that the more attempts i have installing the program, the more error messages i get! Try it! It's hours of fun)

Does anybody know a straight-forward way of making this work?

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Cholomanchuten,

After I have checked your log, I find this error:

MSI (s) (90:70) [16:42:10:346]: Note: 1: 1935 2: {C331A86D-CEA9-4B91-B01F-2A80D8EA863C} 3: 0x8002802F 4:  5: CreateAssemblyNameObject 6: Microsoft.VisualStudio,version="10.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="10.0.30319.1",culture="neutral"

MSI (s) (90:70) [16:42:16:102]: Product: Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express - ENU -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio,version="10.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="10.0.30319.1",culture="neutral"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyNameObject, component: {C331A86D-CEA9-4B91-B01F-2A80D8EA863C}

The HRESULT value listed above is 0x8002802F (-2147319761), and it means "function not defined in specified DLL." There are a few possible root causes of this issue. The most common cause is that the file %windir%\system32\mscoree.dll is missing, corrupt or an incorrect version. In most cases, repairing the highest version of the .NET Framework on the system will correct any problems related to mscoree.dll and will resolve the problem if this is the case. Thus, I recommend you check the .NET Framework you have installed. To do so: Start>>Control Panel>>Uninstall a program. Could you see any programs about .NET Framework 4? If you can find them, you should uninstall them via Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

Please run this tool as the complete mode:

Complete (VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe /full /netfx)
    Removes entire set of Visual Studio 2010 and supporting products, including Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and components shared with previous versions of Visual Studio. Note: may break features of previous versions of Visual Studio or other products taking dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

After you use this tool try to check if the programs related to .NET Framework 4 have been removed. Then we can repair the .NET Framework embedded in Windows 7. You can follow the steps in these two pages:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306160

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

In a few less common cases, the file %windir%\system32\mscoree.dll is present, but registry values used by the .NET Framework to find and load specific versions of the .NET Framework are missing. The following values are required by mscoree.dll in order to load each version of the .NET Framework:

For the .NET Framework 2.0 (on an x86 version of Windows):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework]

InstallRoot = C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\Upgrades]

2.0.50727 = 1.0.0-2.0.50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\v2.0]

50727 = 50727-50727

For the .NET Framework 2.0 (on an x64 version of Windows):

InstallRoot = C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\

50727 = 50727-50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432NodeMicrosoft\.NETFramework\Policy\Upgrades]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\v2.0]

50727 = 50727-50727

If any of the above registry values are missing on your system, you will need to manually add them in order to resolve 1935 errors with HRESULT value 0x8002802F. Note that the InstallRoot value must be set to the exact location of the %windir% folder on your system, so you may need to adjust that value from the one listed above if your %windir% is not located at c:\Windows.

After you have repaired .NET Framework, you can try to install Visual Basic 2010 Express following the steps I post previously.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:52 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:25 AM
  • I have done everything you told me and installations still shows the same error. As much as i'll regret it, i will have to reinstall windows. Thanks anyway for your help. How can i put a good word for you? You've been very helpful (well, not the solution, but the effort ) 
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 15, 2011 11:08 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Cholomanchuten,

Thank you for your post.

Form your post, you failed to install Visual Basic 2010 Express.

Here are my suggestions:

·         Please use Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility to remove Visual Basic 2010 Express entirely.

Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

·         Download the ISO file of Visual Basic 2010 Express from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

·         Extract the ISO file to your local hard disk.

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%).

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Collect the logs with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) or upload it to other website like Windows Live SkyDrive.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, June 27, 2011 2:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Hi Cholomanchuten,

Did this help? If you still have any questions about this issue, please feel free to let me know. We will continue to work with you on this issue.

If I have misunderstood anything, please describe your question in more detail and we will be able to provide quicker and better responses.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:56 AM
  • I am sorry, I wasn't able to check the post due to lack of Internet these days. I apologize, I will try your solution and report back to you ASAP.

Thanks for the attention.

Ill ask you something in advice though:

Is v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com a real adress? Or is it a Microsoft Username? Because I was expecting something like aaa@microsoft.com... forgive me for my ignorance.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi Cholomanchuten,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad to see you again. Take easy. Yes, v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com is my Email address. “_at_” means “@”, and “_dot_” means “.”. Thus, you can transfer it to correct format. Why I write in this format is to avoid being searched directly from the web.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Hi Cholomanchuten,

After I have checked your log, I find this error:

MSI (s) (90:70) [16:42:10:346]: Note: 1: 1935 2: {C331A86D-CEA9-4B91-B01F-2A80D8EA863C} 3: 0x8002802F 4:  5: CreateAssemblyNameObject 6: Microsoft.VisualStudio,version="10.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="10.0.30319.1",culture="neutral"

MSI (s) (90:70) [16:42:16:102]: Product: Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express - ENU -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio,version="10.0.0.0",publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a",processorArchitecture="MSIL",fileVersion="10.0.30319.1",culture="neutral"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x8002802F. assembly interface: , function: CreateAssemblyNameObject, component: {C331A86D-CEA9-4B91-B01F-2A80D8EA863C}

The HRESULT value listed above is 0x8002802F (-2147319761), and it means "function not defined in specified DLL." There are a few possible root causes of this issue. The most common cause is that the file %windir%\system32\mscoree.dll is missing, corrupt or an incorrect version. In most cases, repairing the highest version of the .NET Framework on the system will correct any problems related to mscoree.dll and will resolve the problem if this is the case. Thus, I recommend you check the .NET Framework you have installed. To do so: Start>>Control Panel>>Uninstall a program. Could you see any programs about .NET Framework 4? If you can find them, you should uninstall them via Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

Please run this tool as the complete mode:

Complete (VS2010_Uninstall-RTM.ENU.exe /full /netfx)
    Removes entire set of Visual Studio 2010 and supporting products, including Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and components shared with previous versions of Visual Studio. Note: may break features of previous versions of Visual Studio or other products taking dependency on Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

After you use this tool try to check if the programs related to .NET Framework 4 have been removed. Then we can repair the .NET Framework embedded in Windows 7. You can follow the steps in these two pages:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306160

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

In a few less common cases, the file %windir%\system32\mscoree.dll is present, but registry values used by the .NET Framework to find and load specific versions of the .NET Framework are missing. The following values are required by mscoree.dll in order to load each version of the .NET Framework:

For the .NET Framework 2.0 (on an x86 version of Windows):

50727 = 50727-50727

For the .NET Framework 2.0 (on an x64 version of Windows):

InstallRoot = C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\

50727 = 50727-50727

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432NodeMicrosoft\.NETFramework\Policy\Upgrades]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\Policy\v2.0]

50727 = 50727-50727

If any of the above registry values are missing on your system, you will need to manually add them in order to resolve 1935 errors with HRESULT value 0x8002802F. Note that the InstallRoot value must be set to the exact location of the %windir% folder on your system, so you may need to adjust that value from the one listed above if your %windir% is not located at c:\Windows.

After you have repaired .NET Framework, you can try to install Visual Basic 2010 Express following the steps I post previously.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:52 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:25 AM
  • I have done everything you told me and installations still shows the same error. As much as i'll regret it, i will have to reinstall windows. Thanks anyway for your help. How can i put a good word for you? You've been very helpful (well, not the solution, but the effort ) 
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 15, 2011 11:08 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Hi Cholomanchuten,

That is what I should do. If you have any problem after reinstalling the Windows, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:08 AM