none
Enable a Customised field based on the value selected

Question

• Hi,

Am new to TFS. I have a requirement to customise the Test case work item type. I have created a new drop down field "Type". When i select a particular value in the Type, i need to enable another drop down else disable the drop down. Is this achievable? Also please help me in this issue.

Thanks Shri
    • Edited by Nandu Rocks Monday, February 06, 2012 12:51 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 5:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Enabling and disabling of fields based on the value selected in another field is achievable without the coding effort.

WHEN and WHENNOT Rules to be used on the fields which has to be enable/disabled.

Thanks Shri

• Marked as answer by Nandu Rocks Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:00 AM

All replies

• Enabling/disabling a work item control is not possible. If you want to achieve this, you must build your own work item control for the field that you want to disable.

It sounds like an overkill in the effort against the value you get, but if you feel that it is worth the effort then go for it. There are some good examples of controls on Codeplex: http://tfswitcontrols.codeplex.com/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Thanks Ewald.

I have created my own template using CMMI Process template. So is it possible to populate all the requirement title in a new customised drop down list field?

Thanks Shri

• Edited by Nandu Rocks Monday, February 06, 2012 8:53 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hi Shri, 

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your TFS? And what’s that MSSI process template? 

As far as I know, we usually use the Agile, CMMI and Scrum process template in TFS. 

How to create a custom WI control and make this custom control can be used in VS, please refer to Ruiz blog(similar to TFS 2010): http://www.cnblogs.com/Ruiz/archive/2009/10/01/1577217.html.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:45 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your post. Sorry its CMMI process template and I use TFS 2010.

Thanks Shri
    Monday, February 06, 2012 9:01 PM
  •  

Hi Shri, 

Thanks for your reply.

To populate all the existed Title values to a customized dropdown list field, I think you still need to create the work item custom control to do that. Please refer to that good examples of controls on Codeplex. 

And you can submit it as a suggestion to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Nandu Rocks Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nandu Rocks Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

Enabling and disabling of fields based on the value selected in another field is achievable without the coding effort.

WHEN and WHENNOT Rules to be used on the fields which has to be enable/disabled.

Thanks Shri

• Marked as answer by Nandu Rocks Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:00 AM