none
how to unbind a project and rebind it in new location

Question

• I bound a project in a TFS source control location that I want to move to another place.  I cannot find any way to move the project, and rebinding it in Visual Studio does not let me add it to another location in the source control tree.  I really would like to move the project down one level (ie:  from $/MyProject/ to $MyProject/Library1/) so that I can organize other class libraries under the existing project.  I have also tried the "tf delete $/MyProject" command, but that just complains that it is "unable to determine the workspace".  The online help and tf command line help are of no use.
    Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:14 PM

Answers

• For some odd reason in order to delete something in TFS you have to have it locally on your computer.

You don't have to have it locally.  It just has to be mapped.

I agree with the suggestion to use the Move command.  To answer the original question, though, here's the procedure:
    - file -> source control -> change source control -> unbind the project
    - select the project in solution explorer
    - file -> source control -> add selected projects to source control
    Monday, March 20, 2006 1:31 PM

All replies

• In the source control explorer, you should be able to right click on a folder and select the 'Move' option to change its level.

FYI, the workspace error you received was probably because the source branch wasn't mapped onto your local computer,  For some odd reason in order to delete something in TFS you have to have it locally on your computer.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:22 PM
  • For some odd reason in order to delete something in TFS you have to have it locally on your computer.

You don't have to have it locally.  It just has to be mapped.

I agree with the suggestion to use the Move command.  To answer the original question, though, here's the procedure:
    - file -> source control -> change source control -> unbind the project
    - select the project in solution explorer
    - file -> source control -> add selected projects to source control
    Monday, March 20, 2006 1:31 PM
  • If you want to move the project, you can rename it in Source Control Explorer or using the "tf move" command.  If you need to move more than one file, you may find it useful to create a folder called Library1 at the appropriate location on your disk and run "tf move * Library1" to relocate the project.

Buck

Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:06 AM