none
Can't install .NET Framework 4

All replies

• Please Uninstall All Old Framework 4.0 Version and download standalone version of framework 4 from following link.

restart your PC and install again framework 4.

---

Vikky

Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:23 PM
  • We need to see your complete install logs. Provide full logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

If you wish to proceed with the uninstall/reinstall process, please consider this procedure:

1. Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 using Add/Remove...

2. Make sure any remaining pieces of .NET Framework 4.0 are removed with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

3. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

4. Clear out your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

5. Run the standalone installer As Administrator.

If you encounter another issue, provide fresh full logs as above.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, December 26, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:03 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hi Obisco,

Did you try MVP’s suggestions? Any updates? If the installation failed again, please let me get the access to your log.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 26, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hello Alexander,

I'm not Obisco, but am having the same problem with .net framework 4.  My vlog file is located here:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2djYUp5Tk1VbTlYd3NUQw

Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated, can't load QuickBooks or TurnoTax without it!  =(

If you have any problems accessing the file, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you in advance!
    Aimee
    LabCat1012@gmail.com

Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hello LabCat,

In future, you should start a new thread for a new issue, rather than replying to an already answered thread.

Your link yields this:

"We're sorry for the inconvenience, but YouSendIt is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

Same on multiple tries over the span of an hour.

Did you follow the steps I provided to the OP?

Follow these steps exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Collect your full install logs as follows:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

• Edited by pvdg42MVP Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kickmekeith Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:57 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:38 PM
  • I tried pdvg42's suggestion and I still cannot install .NET Framework 4.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Then, please capture the new install logs.

We need the logs to see the details of the problem.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:22 AM
  • I've found the vslogs.cab but I'm having trouble accessing the Temp file from SkyDrive. The files that show up when I look for %temp% in windows explorer don't show up when I look for it on SkyDrive and that is where the log is located.

• Edited by Obisco Monday, February 20, 2012 7:45 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Try copying the vslogs.cab file to a different folder on your local drive where you can access it from your SkyDrive account.
    • Edited by pvdg42MVP Monday, February 20, 2012 7:59 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Monday, February 20, 2012 8:10 PM
  • WHen I check your link, I get this:

"Emmanuel Okwuadigbo isn't sharing anything."

You have to share the file so others can see it.

Right-click on vslogs.cab. Select Share on the context menu.

CLick "Get a Link". Click the "Make it public button and post the link you get here.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Okay, here is the new link: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=bea1a36b89e979a5&resid=BEA1A36B89E979A5!121&parid=root

• Edited by Obisco Monday, February 20, 2012 10:32 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Hi Obisco,

I checked your logs. It seems like .NET Framework 4 has
    been installed successfully.

[2/15/2012, 19:17:21]MSI (C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation succeeded. Msi Log: Microsoft
    .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120215_191206231-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt

[2/15/2012, 19:21:18]MSI (C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Extended_x64.msi) Installation succeeded. Msi Log: Microsoft
    .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120215_191206231-MSI_netfx_Extended_x64.msi.txt

[2/15/2012, 19:21:19]Final Result: Installation completed successfully with success code: (0x00000000), "The operation completed successfully. " (Elapsed
    time: 0 00:09:13).

If you have any other problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:32 AM
  • I agree with Alexander.

What issues are you having that make you think .NET Framework 4.0 is not working for you?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:13 PM
  • When I try to open some programs I get CLR error 80004005. This program will now terminate.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Some but not all? Are you sure the programs that error out use .NET Framework 4.0?

Please try running the programs giving a problem "As Administrator". If they still fail, use this tool to verify your .NET Framework 4.0 installation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

Post the first 15 lines and last 15 line of tool output here.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:50 PM
  • First 15

[02/25/12,21:14:42] Beginning of new SetupVerifier activity logging session
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Activity log file location: C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_02-25-12_21.14.42.txt
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Error log file location: C:\Users\Obi\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_02-25-12_21.14.42.txt
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Build created on December 29, 2011
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Detected operating system: Windows 7 (x64)
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 1.0: not installed.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 1.1: not installed.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 2.0: installed with service pack 2.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 3.0: installed with service pack 2.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 3.5: installed with service pack 1.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Client: installed with no service packs.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Full: installed with no service packs.
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.0' because it is not currently installed
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1' because it is not currently installed
    [02/25/12,21:14:42] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1 SP1' because it is not currently installed

Last 15

Actual Data: 4.0.0

[02/25/12,21:16:42] Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
    Value: Version
    Actual Data: REGISTRY VALUE FOUND
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] TimeoutSeconds = '300'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] WaitOnExit = 'true'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] Silent = 'true'
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -1
    [02/25/12,21:16:42] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Your .NET Framework 4.0 installation failed verification.

Control Panel->Programs and Features.

Find Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile in the list and select it.

Click Uninstall/Change in the dialog toolbar, then select the repair option.

When the repair completes, rerun the verifier and post the last 15 lines of output here.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:31 PM
  • The repair did not succeed.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 3:05 AM
  • In that case you can either repeat the complete removal and reinstall procedure I posted earlier:

Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 using Add/Remove...

Make sure any remaining pieces of .NET Framework 4.0 are removed with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Follow these steps exactly:

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

Collect your full install logs as follows:

Or, you can repair/reinstall your OS, then reinstall 4.0.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Your solution with the fix is just so perfect. This has been an issue for way to long. Did the rename (already cleaned all temps) and magically I watched it install instead of roll back for at least the 25th time since the issue started. Thank you.

You deserve the MVP.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:03 PM
  • please help me!

I cannot install .Net Framework 4 on windows 7 home premium x86.

log file of my computer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynruclup6fg5fnt

thanks you!!!

Thursday, August 02, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Posting to a seven month old, answered, thread means that most forum readers will never see your post.

You need to start a new thread!

From your logs:

"Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not write value Version to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]"

Follow these steps exactly as given:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link IN YOUR NEW THREAD>

Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:42 PM
  • I found out a quick solution to this problem.

Navigate to your C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET directory and rename your assembly folder. The problem is within this folder so when you rename it, it will force the .net installer to recreate a fresh assembly folder. Voila. Problem solved.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Except for one "minor" issue.

The .NET Framework Team advised us some time ago that renaming the assembly folder can potentially damage a system. That's why we stopped recommending that procedure.

The replacement procedure is this:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Hello sbn.sourov.

Instead of hijacking this old thread, PLEASE start a new thread so all readers will see your problem.

Your issue is "Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu) failed with 0x5 - Access is denied.".

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link IN YOUR NEW THREAD.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hello pvdg42

please delete your current post (I have deleted my post)

And Please give your replay here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/2102d92a-6f5d-4791-b1ce-09fdc6066bc6

I am sorry for mistaken post here 

Thanks for your time

• Edited by sbn.sourov Monday, October 22, 2012 5:39 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 4:58 AM
  • This worked for me! The key was: "I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!" Thanks so much.
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Your .NET Framework 4.0 installation failed verification.

Control Panel->Programs and Features.

Find Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile in the list and select it.

Click Uninstall/Change in the dialog toolbar, then select the repair option.

When the repair completes, rerun the verifier and post the last 15 lines of output here.

Extremely "useless" so-called advice,that does absolutely NOTHING to FIX the problem!!!
    <mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"default","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Joseph Williamson

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:53 AM