none
.NET Framework 4 fails to install Windows 7 x64

Question

• I downloaded the Game terraria via steam and tried to install it.  When framework v4 installs it just ends and goes back to desktop, and the game doesn't start.  It never gives me an error durring installation.  

I already tried clearing out the temp folder and installing the standalone.  

I run windows 7 64bit

here is the last bit of the log file on the failed install of the standalone:

Wait for Item (Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) to be available
    Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu is now available to install
    Creating new Performer for Exe item
    Created new ExePerformer for Exe item
    WU Service: Trying to EnsureWUServiceIsNotDisabled function OpenService failed with error: 0
    Launching CreateProcess with command line = wusa.exe "R:\08fb7c186eb25649ff\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu" /quiet /norestart
    Exe (R:\08fb7c186eb25649ff\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x424 - The specified service does not exist as an installed service. .
    PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 1060 (translates to HRESULT = 0x424)
    Action complete
    Error 0x424 is mapped to Custom Error:
    OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.
    Action complete
    Action complete
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x00000424), "The specified service does not exist as an installed service. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:17).
    WM_ACTIVATEAPP: Focus stealer's windows WAS visible, NOT taking back focus
    WM_ACTIVATEAPP: Focus stealer's windows was NOT visible, taking back focus

I also notice it is using my R: drive for the temp location... my boot drive is C: is this a issue?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Reinfear,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your post, you failed to install .NET Framework 4.

When you intend to reinstall .NET Framework again, here are my suggestions:

·         Please download .NET Framework 4 from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) or upload it to other website like Windows Live SkyDrive.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:22 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 5:16 AM

All replies

• The installer is probably looking for files in the windows system dirs and there aren't any (assemption) in the r: path. Try running the installer from the C: drive or selecting the c: drive to extract (if you can) to. At worst case I'd uninstall .net 4.0 (if it's found in the add/remove programs) and see if you can download it through the Windows Update. 
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Hi Reinfear,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your post, you failed to install .NET Framework 4.

When you intend to reinstall .NET Framework again, here are my suggestions:

·         Please download .NET Framework 4 from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Send the vslogs.cab file to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com) or upload it to other website like Windows Live SkyDrive.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:22 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

My PC failed to install .NET Framework 4 through windows update, so I tried your method as mentioned above. Still no luck. Here is the error log I got:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\fe0e9d6176c4c808e86e3c5bf171a2\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Central Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    C:\fe0e9d6176c4c808e86e3c5bf171a2\SetupUtility.exe - Signature verification for file SetupUtility.exe (C:\fe0e9d6176c4c808e86e3c5bf171a2\SetupUtility.exe) failed with error 0x800b010a (A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.)
    No FileHash provided. Cannot perform FileHash verification for SetupUtility.exe
    File SetupUtility.exe (C:\fe0e9d6176c4c808e86e3c5bf171a2\SetupUtility.exe), failed authentication. (Error = -2146762486). It is recommended that you delete this file and retry setup again.
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x800B010B), "Generic trust failure. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:08).

Can you take a look at it and tell me what I need to do to fix it? Thanks!

Sunyong

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:09 AM