none
How do you load the config file of the currently executing assembly via the ConfigurationManager without directly referencing/loading the config file manually?

Question

•  How do you load the config file of the currently executing assembly via the ConfigurationManager without directly referencing/loading the config file manually?

I have an executable A which has a config file and some assembly B which has its own config file. Let's say class A in executable A executes a method of class B in assembly B. Calling ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["sometext"] attempts to retrieve the value from executable A's configuration file. How can I retrieve a value from assembly B's configuration file without manually loading assemblyB.dll.config (for example). The main entry assembly here is executable A.

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:43 AM

Answers

• I assume you're talking about doing this without hardcoding the assembly name into the file.  You can use a combination of Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location and OpenExeConfiguration to fetch the Configuration object for your specific running assembly.  

string path = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location;

Configuration config = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(path);

string value = config.AppSettings.Settings["value"].Value;

David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    • Proposed as answer by thomas_woelfer Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:59 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:36 PM