none
__CxxFrameHandler3 During Windows XP Startup, after product installation

Question

• Hi Everyone,

Some software was installed on 8 XPSP2 PCs at 3 seperate times. 3 of the PCs, after installation, were restarted as per the installation instructions.
    When restarted, Windows XP displayed an error:

The procedure entry point ___CxxFrameHandler3 could not be located in the dynamic link library Msvcrt.dll. and Windows will not start. (nor in Safemode)

The problem I am having is that Msvcrt.dll is not shipped with the program, and from my research it is related to C++. The program is written in VB6 so I am confused.

It could just be a coinsidence, but it only happens after the installation has told the user to restart the computer, so must be directly related to the installation. However, if the installation files were wrong or corrupt, NO installations would work correctly and we would have a problem on all of the PCs.

Does anyone have any ideas as I am now completely baffled and this is a last resort!

Regards,

Ben

Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi benjaminjoby,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

When you try to start a program, you may receive such error message “The procedure entry point *** could not be located in the dynamic link library Msvcrt.dll.”

CAUSE:

This behavior may occur if you install a third-party program that replaces some of the Windows NT 4.0 dynamic-link library (DLL) files with those of a different version.

This behavior occurs when mismatched DLL files try to reference a function in Msvcrt.dll.

SOLUTION:

To resolve this issue, replace the following DLL files with new copies from a Windows NT 4.0 computer that is updated to the same service pack level and that is running the same version of Microsoft Internet Explorer as the Windows NT installation on which you experience this issue:

Msvcrt.dll

Msvcirt.dll

Msvcrt20.dll

Msvcrt40.dll

Please check this KB article for detailed solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/318730

Best regards,

Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:43 AM

All replies

• Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Hi benjaminjoby,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

When you try to start a program, you may receive such error message “The procedure entry point *** could not be located in the dynamic link library Msvcrt.dll.”

CAUSE:

This behavior may occur if you install a third-party program that replaces some of the Windows NT 4.0 dynamic-link library (DLL) files with those of a different version.

This behavior occurs when mismatched DLL files try to reference a function in Msvcrt.dll.

SOLUTION:

To resolve this issue, replace the following DLL files with new copies from a Windows NT 4.0 computer that is updated to the same service pack level and that is running the same version of Microsoft Internet Explorer as the Windows NT installation on which you experience this issue:

Msvcrt.dll

Msvcirt.dll

Msvcrt20.dll

Msvcrt40.dll

Please check this KB article for detailed solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/318730

Best regards,

Martin Xie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:43 AM
  • I am also receiving this error when installing an application on Windows Server 2003 SP2. The article you point to mentions, Windows NT 4.0 and that refers to XP solution centre! Would this fix also apply to this os? not exactly a suitable fix mind as all other apps i need to install do not have an issue. I also get the problem on a Windows XP SP3 machine... Rgrds.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:37 AM