none
Visual Studio 2008 still won't install after many attempts!

Question

• Has anybody at Microsoft sorted out the ubiquitous problem of VS2008 failing to install? There are lots of submissions to other forums, where users have had the same error when trying to install Visual Studio 2008: "dexplore.exe could not be unpackaged because it is not a cabinet".
    This message is in the error log file that is created when the procedure fails trying to install Document Explorer.
    I have been using the image file en_visual_studio_team_system_2008_development_x86_dvd_x14-26382.iso, which as far as I can tell, is not corrupt. My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate.
    After reading some of the forum suggestions, I installed MSDN Library, which installs Microsoft Document Explorer. I then had another attempt with VS2008, but this time it failed trying to install the Web Authoring Component, with the error log message: ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147023293.

Apparently Microsoft say that they cannot replicate this problem in their labs; I find this extremely difficult to believe as it is obviously happening so often in the field.

PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION, OR SHOULD I STAY WITH BORLAND C++ BUILDER?

Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:36 AM

Answers

All replies