none
Visual Studio 2010 Professional - PAINFULLY Slow Debug Crash Times

Question

• Hello,

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional for most of the year and ever since it was first installed it has taken an insanely long time to return the error that crashes an application during debugging.

I'm only debugging programs at a first year university level and even programs with a couple of lines of code that crash during debugging will take close to five minutes to return to the editor with the caught error.

It can't be my computer as I have a new setup running 8GB DDR3 RAM and an i5 3.3Ghz processor, and it isn't anything else other than the program as Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express runs quickly with no problems.

Is this a known issue and are there any quick fixes because it's really slowing down the process of completing my assignments.

Thanks for the help

Caleb Watson

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Caleb,

I found the thread below talking about the same issue. You can try the suggestions and see if they help solve your problem.

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | TFS Hosting Service

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Hi Caleb Watson,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

There are many possible reasons can lead this issue.

Could you please try a fresh new project to see the debug time?

If even a fresh new project debugs slowly I may have to ask this, "have you installed any extension on VS?".

If so, please try Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010  -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator. After that, run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.

If it is not related to VS settings but your projects. First please show me the types of projects you always building. Also, have you added too many breakpoints when building? We may need to reproduce this issue if we want to fix it. So please show me your updates.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Hey there,

I can create a new application with just the following (bad) code intended to crash and once run it will catch the error but take around five minutes to show me the caught error.

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
    {
        public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
            }

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                pictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile("C:\\Users\\Caleb\\Pictures\\Christmas2011\\image111.jpg");
            }
        }
    }

I haven't changed Visual Studio at all since I installed it, there are no extensions and I have reset the settings via the command prompt.

Thanks,

Caleb

Friday, June 08, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hi Caleb,

Maybe re install it will fix this problem. What about try to uninstall Visual Studio with this tool:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

Remember to use full command if you only have VS2010 installed.

Let me know your results.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Friday, June 08, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Hi Caleb,

Any updates?

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:40 AM
  • I'm on holiday and away from my desktop PC for a few days, I'll post the results when I get back to my computer.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hello,

Long time no post!

I reinstalled to no avail, the program is still taking an extremely long time to crash while debugging.

Thanks,

Caleb Watson

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:51 AM