none
dlls and calling convention

Question

• Hi all,

I have this problem with a project I am working on and I thought maybe asking a question here might give me some insight and possibly lead me to a solution.

I have a DLL that is written in C/C++ and it is required to assume __cdecl calling convention (MUST).  I also wrote a wrapper DLL that calls into this dll with __stdcall calling convention.  The reason I have this wrapper is because I have to use a VB6 application and based on suggestions from MS, this is the proper way to structure the code (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/153586?p=1)

I followed all the instructions but when I run the VB6 application from the IDE, it crashes with the Send/Do Not Send Error Report dialog box.  When I comment the call from the wrapper dll to the main dll, the crash goes away. 

Are there any project properties in VS2005 that I need to set in order for this to work without crashing? 

Can anyone explain to me a little bit about how does the OS handle a DLL with a __stdcall calling convention calls a DLL with a __cdecl calling convention?

I am aware of and understand the difference between the two calling conventions but not sure what happens when they are mixed in a project like mine.

Thanks.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:30 PM

Answers

• To be honest, if you followed the guide then there shouldn't be any problems. But the application crashing doesn't necessarily have to be because of calling convention issued. Have you wrote a sample C++ program to call the stdcall DLL to see if it works? You will also get the chance to debug it properly this way too.

*Edit*

As an example for you to test out.

//testdll.cpp
    extern"C"
    __declspec(dllexport) int testfun()
    {
    	return 3;
    }

//testwrap.cpp
    extern"C"
    __declspec(dllimport) int testfun();

extern"C"
    __declspec(dllexport) int __stdcall testwrap()
    {
    	return testfun();
    }

//main.cpp
    #include <tchar.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

extern"C"
    __declspec(dllimport) int __stdcall testwrap();

int _tmain()
    {
    	int num = testwrap();

_tprintf(_T("%d\n"), num);

return 0;
    }
    If you compile the first one into one dll, the second into a second dll linked with the first and then the third into an executable linked with the wrapper, then try it out it will work with no problems. Of course, I left all of the __declspecs inline to make things clearer and to keep things small.

Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by Crescens2k Sunday, April 04, 2010 11:11 PM Added sample code
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:40 AM
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 10:46 PM