none
afxmsg_.h is missing

Question

• Hi:
    I am new to windows development so pardon me if this is a FAQ. I am trying to compile a simple MFC hello world app from the Prosis book using visual C++ 2005 express beta2 and the compiler says it can not find afxmsg_.h

It looks like most of the afx* includes are present in c:\program file\microsoft platform sdk\include\mfc directory but afxmsg_.h is missing.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or missing?

Thanks,
    Bob

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

Yes this is an FAQ. MFC is not included in the Express Edition. you need to use Visual Studio Standard Edition or higher for MFC development.

Thanks.

Ronald Laeremans
    Visual C++ team
    Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:17 AM
  • As Ronald indicated, you need to use Visual Studio Standard Edition or higher for MFC development. The PSDK does not include MFC headers.

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Yes this is an FAQ. MFC is not included in the Express Edition. you need to use Visual Studio Standard Edition or higher for MFC development.

Thanks.

Ronald Laeremans
    Visual C++ team
    Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:17 AM
  • Thanks Ronald.

Bob

Friday, June 10, 2005 7:59 PM
  • I've recently downloaded Visual C++ Express Edition (8) off the microsoft site
    I've also painstakingly installed the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition with the Microsoft Platform SDK

I still don't have the afxmsg_.h file. Is there anywhere I can get these missing files?

The include files that have been installed, all seem to have the wrong case for the file names.
    There seems to be a total lack of quality control.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:37 PM
  • As Ronald indicated, you need to use Visual Studio Standard Edition or higher for MFC development. The PSDK does not include MFC headers.

Thanks,
    Ayman Shoukry
    VC++ Team
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:55 PM
  •  

Well that certainly is not a very worthy decision on Microsoft's part. What would non-commercial or adventorous users do if they need to use MFC?? There should be a free version available for VStudio beta version users. I myself am struggling to use only standard Forms for GUI elements which has severe limitations at times.

Microsoft doesnt understand that they will earn so much more goodwill, and money in the long run if major environment modules are released free..even if that is in stripped down fashion.

Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I don't understand this argument. You are using a top-quality commercial grade C++ compiler, complete with developer IDE for free. And you are unhappy because it does not include features that other developers are willing to pay for?

Brian

Sunday, March 09, 2008 12:14 AM
  •  

Let me clarify this a bit Bob:

[1] Yes I meant exactly what I said

[2] Other developers are not willing to pay for it, they 'have' to pay for it as it is not free.

If you missed the most important part of my argument, I am talking for the amateur developers that work on non-profit software.. say in university labs or at home. I am a researcher myself, and do really appreciate Microsoft products. But it is too much after money. I develop freeware software that could be used in healthcare research and universities.. binding only the unavailability of MFC, it is very inefficient to develop just using free software.

Keep up the good work, nothing against your contributions. My argument is only against a free economy and how it leaves no room for moral accountability sometimes. 

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:16 AM