none
Application unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) on VS2010

Question

• I am compiling and trying to run an c++ application called PTAMM (http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~bob/software/index.html)  However I'm having an issue getting it to run.  It immediately pops an application error "Application unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)..." and exits with this code "The program '[1792] PTAMM.exe: Native' has exited with code -1073741701 (0xc000007b)."  I had it running on Windows XP 32-bit, but I recently upgraded to Win7 64-bit.  I can get the application PTAM (http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~gk/PTAM/ ) to run correctly on Win7 64-bit.  In PTAMM, the error happens in Debug and Release with static linking (/MT).  I'm using VS2010 and the Windows7.1SDK platform.  I think it has to be a library, but I've rebuilt the library files that are different between PTAMM and PTAM and it didn't help.  Is there a way to tell what library is causing the issue?  Here are the libraries PTAMM requiers.

libcvd.lib; gvars3.lib ;GlU32.Lib; glew32.lib; opengl32.lib; 1394camera.lib; blas_win32_MT.lib; lapack_win32_MT.lib; pthreadVCE2.lib; jpeg.lib; libpng.lib; lib3ds.lib

The only additional libraries PTAMM uses from PTAM is the GlU32.Lib; jpeg.lib; and lib3ds.lib.  I've recompiled jpeg.lib; and lib3ds.lib on my current system.

The windows system log isn't giving me any information about the error.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Application Popup
    Date:          4/22/2011 3:38:06 PM
    Event ID:      26
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      ***
    Description:
    Application popup: PTAMM.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Popup" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="16384">26</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-22T20:38:06.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>32606</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>***</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>PTAMM.exe - Application Error</Data>
        <Data>The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application. </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:47 PM

Answers

• Figured out the problem.  I installed a Virtual machine on my Win7 box running WinXP 32-bit OS.  Configured the XP environment exactly the same and pointed it to the same code.  The VS 2010 or XP (not sure which it was), came back with an error.  "The program can't start because zlib1.dll is missing from your computer, Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".  So when I was recompiling all the libraries in Win7 I changed the name from zlib1.dll to zlib.dll.  Recompiled and copied the DLL but missed the .lib file.  So it was looking for the old name.  Win7 did not give me any clues as to what it was looking for, XP gave it to me right away.  So I'm not sure if this would be an improvement that could be made to Win7 so it would give the name of the missing DLL file instead of the generic error message.  I've seen the missing DLL message with the specific DLL in Win7 but for some reason this error for the missing file did not return the name with this DLL, just a generic message. 

Thanks for all your help!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Mushadow,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I’m sorry that this thread is outside of our service.

You should go to the website to get further support.

http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~bob/software/index.html

Best regards,

Peter

Pet Yu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:42 AM
  • I understand to go to the application developers for help but I have other applications outside of PTAMM that error with the same application error.  However these are proprietary and I cannot discuss.  So it isn't limited to just this application, I was hoping if I could get PTAMM working the others applications would work also.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a library, but I cannot figure out which one is causing the issue.  I've recompiled them all on my current system and I still cannot figure out what is causing my error.  If someone can help me with where I can start debugging this error, that would be a big help.

Thanks!

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:50 PM
  • I can't do much more than point you at the comments in WinError.h, which describe how the error code you cite is formed.

Basically, the 'C' part of 0xC000007B means that it has an 'Error' severity code, and the 007B part is the actual error code.  The Facility code is 0, which is not particularly helpful.

System Error Codes (0-499) indicates that error code 123 (corresponding to 0x007B) is ERROR_INVALID_NAME "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." - but remember that "The System Error Codes are very broad." as that page states.

I can only suggest that you check the DLLs which the executable is dependent on; check their names are valid, see whether the folders they are supposed to be in are present, that sort of thing.

Answering policy: see profile.

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Figured out the problem.  I installed a Virtual machine on my Win7 box running WinXP 32-bit OS.  Configured the XP environment exactly the same and pointed it to the same code.  The VS 2010 or XP (not sure which it was), came back with an error.  "The program can't start because zlib1.dll is missing from your computer, Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".  So when I was recompiling all the libraries in Win7 I changed the name from zlib1.dll to zlib.dll.  Recompiled and copied the DLL but missed the .lib file.  So it was looking for the old name.  Win7 did not give me any clues as to what it was looking for, XP gave it to me right away.  So I'm not sure if this would be an improvement that could be made to Win7 so it would give the name of the missing DLL file instead of the generic error message.  I've seen the missing DLL message with the specific DLL in Win7 but for some reason this error for the missing file did not return the name with this DLL, just a generic message. 

Thanks for all your help!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:43 PM