none
Access Vs MS-SQL Express : Database

Question

• I am new  to VisualStudio and databases and am currently hoping to start a project that involves database-queries quite alot. It would be a isolated software using its DB to update and search. The programing language I do programing is C# on VS2010.

As a Database, my familiarity is only with MS Access. I'd been reading about MS SQL in MS Press Ebook but that seems to take time. I read alot of posts and every one prefers SQL-Express and Access seems to have little support. MS Access has a nice easy to work interface and I heard that MS Access projects can export SQL Databases.

I got few questions,

1. As you think what is the easiest?
    2. Is there any advantage in using Access? ( I saw an article saying, Access is for Desktop Applications and SQL for bigger things)
    3. Of the two, can I query for some thing like [ salary > 1000 ] to get results?
    4. Access 2010: DatabaseTools > SQL Server : Give some thing like NorthWind.sql that every newbie plays with (thats the example of my book)? :)

I'd be glad if some one could help me.

Thank You,

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:00 PM

All replies

• Well sql express is free, so that is a big bonus.

On scalability, yes sql server is better and give you better tools to deal with big workloads (some of then are in the express edition, others well, you  have to pay for because they are in the other editions), you need to figure out your needs and your budget.

Yes you can certainly export access databases to sql server and is almost pain free

You can use queries like the one you describe in both, they use T-SQL

There is certainly a big ammount of resources for both of them including the Northwind database

On the ease of use, let me tell you that is a matter of getting use to it, sql server might be a bit harder but it pays out.

Regards

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Access is for the saviour because I don't know how to make SQL Databases. I guess I can deal with the rest with reading.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:32 PM