none
Save operation failed - personal information necessary to process the request could not be obtained

Question

• I finally have a client that needs me to do some work using the HTML Client. But unfortunately I/they have run into a problem with a fairly simple scenario.

1. They have some data in a SQL Azure database.
    2. A LightSwitch app, created in VS 2013, attaches to that database as an external data source.
    3. There's a browse screen that successfully displays the contents of a table in the attached data source.
    4. The app is published to an instance of Office 365.
    5. When adding a new record, or updating a record, there's a Save operation failed error message

Exactly the same app created in VS 2012 saves correctly. If that app is upgraded to VS 2013, or recreated in VS 2013, the error occurs.

I've Googled, & also searched this forum, but I can't find any reference to that particular error anywhere.

Yann Duran
         - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011
         - Author of the  LightSwitch Central Blog

FREE Download: Luminous Tools for LightSwitch
    (a Visual Studio productivity extension for LightSwitch)

Click Mark as Answer, if someone's reply answers your question
    Click  Vote as Helpful, if someone's reply is helpful

By doing this you'll help everyone find answers faster.

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yann, one reason this error can happen is when the server fails to get the current user's information needed to populate the Created By and Modified By fields on the entity.  Is "Vehicle Type" shown in the screenshot, an intrinsic entity?  Since Created By / Modified By properties are defined for intrinsic sources only and not for attached ones (SQL Azure).  Please could you see what Trace / Diagnostics  information is available?
    Friday, September 27, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your reply.

No, it's not an intrinsic entity, it's a table in an attached SQL Azure database. And this only happens in VS 2013.

As you may recall, I'm not a web developer, so you'll need to explain step by step how to enable/collect any diagnostic information.

Yann Duran

Saturday, September 28, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Yann, here is an article on how to get diagnostics in a published app.

App can get into this error state if "Trust It" option was not selected while deploying the app to the SharePoint site. Here is an article that describes this option. Pasted a screenshot below for reference.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:20 AM
  • I have replicated this scenario myself against an existing SQL datatable.

It is definetly not a trust issue, two proofs:

1. I can use the SP context to read data from the sharepoint site, my app reads the items from a list called "Config Settings" and writes them to the screen.
    2. The app runs as expected, only up until the actual point of saving data to the SQL table. I am not trying to update anything inside SP itself
      (Also, I have repeatedly re-established the trust for the app)

So, I understand that with LS intrinsic data tables, in 2013 it now has the abilty to handle user timestamps for us. I wonder if the issue is that is trying to apply that logic and it is failing. The error points us in this direction too, in 2012 have had trust issues before, never has the error actually contained the string "Personal information necessary". In fact, for writing to my SQL DB with the user ID and Password in the in connection string, I see absolutely no reason for the app to need any "Personal Information"

• Edited by Chris.Schaller Friday, October 04, 2013 4:54 AM Clarified that I have tried to 'Obvious' workaround before anyone points me back to it :)
    Friday, October 04, 2013 4:38 AM
  • Thanks Ravi & Chris,

Unfortunately, it's not something as similar as not selecting the "Trust It" option.

There's obviously a problem here with a scenario that's not being tested for by the team. I hope this will be entered as a bug that will be followed up with some testing.

I've been flat out learning Javascript/HTML/SharePoint/Office365 etc, so I haven't had the chance to go through Eric's troubleshooting article (I'll have to add web troubleshooting to my ever-growing list of new techniques/technologies to learn), though I do remember the article & it's quite old now. Not sure if it applies to Office365/SharePoint auto-hosted LightSwitch HTML Client apps that are attaching to a SQL Azure database data source though.

Yann Duran

Friday, October 04, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Yann, I am sorry you have run into this problem. This is a very simple scenario and we have a ton of tests for this and similar scenarios running here, but obviously either we have missed something or something has changed on the O365 side, so we need to figure out what is going on.

Does the site that you have deployed the app to allow anonymous access by any chance?

Karol, VS LightSwitch development team

Friday, October 04, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Karol,

Thanks for following up on this. I've received your email & I'm happy to work through it with you to help you find out where the problem is.

I can report back to this thread any resolution that is found.

Yann Duran

Saturday, October 05, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Lots has been going on outside of this forum on this topic, for anyone else that is following, the latest feedback from MS on 18/10/2013 was:

"Thanks, Chris. Following your description we can reproduce the problem in-house. We are now working to get this fixed ASAP, but unfortunately the fix won’t be included in VS 2013 that was just announced, the timing is too tight."

The issue is only observed by external users, users of the local tenancy can use the apps fine. Unfortunately for us over 80% of our app users are external.

We need to know if there is a fix for this on the horizon, we really need support for DateTimeOffset fields, not to mention the rest of ALM that moving to VS 2013 will give us. 

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:19 AM
  • This issue is also holding me back from moving to VS 2013. I would love to be able to use VS 2013, there are so many LightSwitch-related features that would be so helpful in creating LightSwitch apps, but I can't until this bug has been fixed.

Karol, is there any update on when a fix will be made available? Please tell us that we're not going to have to wait for VS 2013 Update 1.

Yann Duran

Friday, November 15, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback and your invaluable help on tracking this issue down to the root cause. We are working on a fix. I understand this is an adoption blocker for many that are in this situation ('federated' external users), to that end we are exploring ways to get a fix out sooner and/or work-arounds. I'll let you know as we have answers. 

Dan Leeaphon

VS LightSwitch Team

Dan Leeaphon Development Lead - VS LightSwitch

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Dan, I got very excited when I discovered that there was an RC of the VS2013.1 update available for download. Our specific LS-related  bug wasn't specifically mentioned in the list of bugs that have been addressed.

First thing I did was fire up a very simple POC app. Sadly, although the error message has changed, it's still an error that prevents a federated user (with a Microsoft Account) from saving any data.

Should I be hopeful that some work does in fact appear to have been done in the area of providing the fix for this blatant bug in the first VS 2013 update RTM?

Or should I be scared that the changed error message is is far fixing the bug is going to go?

I'm going to have some VERY unhappy customers if this bug isn't fixed in this first update. I have a number of projects that I'm unable to use VS 2013 for at the moment, desperately needing some of the new features of VS 2013 LS.

Could you please put us out of our misery, one way or the other, regarding whether the fix is "planned" to be in the RTM of VS 2013.1, & not leave us hanging as we have been so far?

Yann Duran

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Hi folks,

I can confirm that fix for this issue is going to be in the RTM of the first VS 2013 update (which should be available shortly).

Regards,

Dan Leeaphon Development Lead - VS LightSwitch

Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Thanks Dan!

Yann Duran

Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Update 1 for Visual Studio 2013 is now available.  Please try it out.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Still got same issue...
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Still got same issue...

Please could you confirm if you clicked "Trust It" and if yes could you check if there is any diagnostic info available?
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:57 PM
  • Hi

We get a similar issue, but only if we use external users for Office 365. Our organization users work fine

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hi

We get a similar issue, but only if we use external users for Office 365. Our organization users work fine

Please could you confirm if you installed Update 1 of Visual Studio 2013?
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

I'm so sorry I didn't report back that installing the update DID fix the problem for me. I thought I had already done so, but obviously I didn't. I've marked the question as answered.

I'm now able to use VS 2013 for my Sharepoint-hosted LightSwitch HTML Client apps that have external users logging in. I believe it has solved Chris's problem as well.

Thanks for the follow-up & a huge thanks to the team for getting this fixed for us.

Yann Duran

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Yann!  I look forward to your next release of whatever it is you are going to release when things slow down for you!  Your tools have been invaluable and has saved Me an EXTREME amount of time, AND lost work (Luminous Tools for LightSwitch)!

Would someone please turn on the LIGHT?

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:56 PM