none
.Net Framework 4 with Visual Studio 2008 and use it in vs 2008

Question

• What I am asking is this:

I want to use visual studio 2008 and code against .net framework 4.0 and be able to continue using 3.5 sp1 in other solutions...

Is this possible?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Warren,

.NET Framework 4 is quite different from previous versions, and VS2008 doesn't support this.

At least for now you have to use VS2010 to target .NET Framework 4.

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, April 26, 2010 8:07 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Warren,

.NET Framework 4 is quite different from previous versions, and VS2008 doesn't support this.

At least for now you have to use VS2010 to target .NET Framework 4.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, April 26, 2010 8:07 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Hi Figo,

what dows you exactly mean saying that VS2008 doesn't support framework 4? It is clear to me that with VS 2008 I cannot compile in framework 4, but is it possible to reference an assembly (framework 4) inside a VS 2008 project (for instance framework 3.5) ?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Hi Figo,

what dows you exactly mean saying that VS2008 doesn't support framework 4? It is clear to me that with VS 2008 I cannot compile in framework 4, but is it possible to reference an assembly (framework 4) inside a VS 2008 project (for instance framework 3.5) ?

Thanks

You can reference and may be able to use some assemblies but .NET 4 CLR is different from .NET 3.5, which will make it impossible to ensure the project's robustness and correctness. Therefore, it's possible but not recommended and supported to do so.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

• Proposed as answer by Roberto Vigo Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:09 AM
  • What's a pity. We can't use VS2008 to target .NET Framework4. Microsoft.CSharp.dll and System.Xaml.dll are in .NET Framework4,But our company use VS2008. Who can help me? Thank you!
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Please just install VS 2010 environment, it is really better and faster then 2008
    How to make a flash game
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Have you had any luck with this? I need to be able to reference an 4.0 assembly from VS2008.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Also need it.

I don't like conspiracy theories, so I'm not even gonna not mention that this may not be an evil scheme to make people buy expensive VS versions...

Anyway, Microsoft, I have VS 2012, but VS2008 works much better. A lot of missing features when I try to use the new one. Mainly Edit and continue not working at all. Too many annoyances. My productivity with VS2008 is tripled versus VS2012.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:08 AM
  • I'm not prepared to pay over $400 to upgrade VS 2008 when it already works. Besides, the MSDN web page at this link,  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg312154.aspx says the following:

"Visual Studio 2010 defaults to .NET Framework 4. If you use an earlier version of Visual Studio and do not have .NET Framework 4 installed go to the .NET Framework 4 download page to download and install it."

I clicked on the .net Framework 4 download page, downloaded Framework 4 and when I tried to install it, it said I had "same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer."

Yet no success in accessing it from VS 2008.

• Edited by apalix Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:23 PM
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:22 PM
  • My I stick my two-cents worth in here?

I, too, appear to be "banished" to the use of VS2008, in that the "higher" levels of VISUAL STUDIO apparently do NOT support the COMPACT FRAMEWORK needed to operate on MOBILE DEVICES!!!  (Way to go, MICROSOFT!!!)

It's unfortunate that even though there are "later-and-greater" versions of VISUAL STUDIO available--they all seem to have left behind the tools for MOBILE DEVICE application development.

I hope that you, too,  aren't stuck in the same "pig-pen"--waiting for a version of VISUAL STUDIO, (or better still, some NON-MICROSOFT application development package) that will continue to allow mobile device development!!!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:47 PM