none
To Disable Cut and Paste in a VB.Net Application

Question

• Hello,

I have an application in Visual Basic .NET and I would like to disable "Cut and Paste" when the user is entering data in a Text Box and next clicks the right button on the mouse. I saw these options are available but I would like to disable them.

Best Regards,

Joanna.
    Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you want to disable just those options or is it OK to remove the entire menu ?

For removing the entire menu, simple add a "ContextMenuStrip" control from the Toolbox and set this using the ContextMenuStrip property on the Textboxes.

Now when you run the application and right click, you will not get any menu at all.

Regards,
    Vikram

Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:12 AM
  • Hello Joanna,

I would recommend asking this question in the Windows Forms General development forum, as the Forms team is heavily engaged there, and can offer guidance on long-term supportability of whatever solution you implement.

Modifying the menu-handling logic will 'fix' the GUI, and it may disable some access points to the clipboard. However, it will not disable the text box's native support for WM_COPY, WM_PASTE, and WM_CUT, which may or may not be your ultimate goal (e.g. keyboard shortcuts, Windows message injection from other applications, windows, user-code).

If you would like to disable clipboard at the Window's core level, I would suggest sub-classing the text box control you are hosting in your application, and handling WM_COPY, WM_CUT, and WM_PASTE, no-op'ing at your discretion.

Hope that helps,
    Stephen [Microsoft Common Language Runtime: Security - Developer]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/stfisher
    Monday, October 03, 2005 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you want to disable just those options or is it OK to remove the entire menu ?

For removing the entire menu, simple add a "ContextMenuStrip" control from the Toolbox and set this using the ContextMenuStrip property on the Textboxes.

Now when you run the application and right click, you will not get any menu at all.

Regards,
    Vikram

Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:12 AM
  • Hello Joanna,

I would recommend asking this question in the Windows Forms General development forum, as the Forms team is heavily engaged there, and can offer guidance on long-term supportability of whatever solution you implement.

Modifying the menu-handling logic will 'fix' the GUI, and it may disable some access points to the clipboard. However, it will not disable the text box's native support for WM_COPY, WM_PASTE, and WM_CUT, which may or may not be your ultimate goal (e.g. keyboard shortcuts, Windows message injection from other applications, windows, user-code).

If you would like to disable clipboard at the Window's core level, I would suggest sub-classing the text box control you are hosting in your application, and handling WM_COPY, WM_CUT, and WM_PASTE, no-op'ing at your discretion.

Hope that helps,
    Stephen [Microsoft Common Language Runtime: Security - Developer]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/stfisher
    Monday, October 03, 2005 8:35 PM