none
How do you combine/attach multiple images together?

Question

• So basically I'm writing an app that will take a lot of images, arrange them into sequences, and stick them onto the screen in different places so you can scroll through them like a movie. I'm trying to export them as a wmv, but before I do that I need to somehow combine all the different images displayed at any instant into a single bitmap that will act as a frame in the final wmv.

The images were created as a BitmapSource, but was frozen because it was loaded on a background thread and wouldn't display otherwise. I don't need to modify these bitmaps, I just need to combine them into a single large bitmap. What's the easiest way of doing this?

Alternatively, if it's possible for me to use the WPF rendering engine to virtually render each frame in memory and store the screenshots of the app...that would be cool too. Though that seems a lot more complicated.

Any ideas?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:34 AM

Answers

• -> The images were created as a BitmapSource, but was frozen because it was loaded on a background thread and wouldn't display otherwise. I don't need to modify these bitmaps, I just need to combine them into a single large bitmap. What's the easiest way of doing this?

I think you might need to the pixel level manipulation, the BitmapSource in WPF could be chained together as demonstrated in this blog article:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dwayneneed/archive/2008/06/20/implementing-a-custom-bitmapsource.aspx

You could try that approach to chain/combine those bitmaps into a single one.

-> Alternatively, if it's possible for me to use the WPF rendering engine to virtually render each frame in memory and store the screenshots of the app...that would be cool too. Though that seems a lot more complicated.

I think what you need is RenderTargetBitmap, one major limitation is that its rendering is done in software.

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Monday, September 01, 2008 11:22 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 10:27 AM