none
VSTO install error 0x80131604

Question

• I have been creating a vsto 2007 excel add in inside of Visual Studio 2010 and .net 4.  It works fine when I run it from the debugger, but when i try to use the .vsto file to try install it, I get the following error:

The following Microsoft Office solution cannot be installed due to a general installer error: Aeci.QueryHelper.vsto.

0x80131604

This error was isolated to my machine, but I was having others test it on their machine.  It would install but it would Fail to load inside excel.  When they uninstallled the add in, and tried to run the .vsto, they are now getting my error.  We are using ClickOnce and publishing it to IIS. 

Any Ideas

Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

In addition to what Sidharth requested, can you check the Properties of Application event log.

Start -> Run -> Eventvwr -> Right click on Application and select Properties.

By default the Log is setup to "Overwrite events as needed" which means that you get an infiniate log, and when new events come oldest events will be overwritten.

Do you have "Overwrite events as needed" selected or "Do not overwrite events" selected?

Thanks,

Navneet

Navneet
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:08 PM

All replies

• On your machine I would expect an error if you don't clean your solution within Visual Studio prior to invoking the *.vsto file. Any time you perform a build or publish within Visual Studio the Add-In will be registered/installed. To remove this registration you need to right click your project in Solution Explorer and select "Clean".

However, I wouldn't expect this on non-development machines. Can you try using Mage.exe -cc which will clear the ClickOnce cache and try to install again. Mage.exe is part of the .NET Framework SDK and lives somewhere around %programfiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Is there any way to have the ClickOnce/VSTO installer write what's happening into an error log? I don't know how to do that but perhaps Aaron knows how.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:39 PM
  • The Clean did what you said it would, I built the solution, the addin showed up.  I cleaned the solution, the addin went away.  But the error still occurs when I run the .vsto file.  I also tried the Mage.exe -cc, no change in the installation process(same error).

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Now, non-developer computers are having the install error.  After install, uninstalling, and repeating, sooner or later the error begins to happen during installs.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Is there any way to have the ClickOnce/VSTO installer write what's happening into an error log? I don't know how to do that but perhaps Aaron knows how.

Yes, we could use event viewer in Windows to see error messages of Office solutions. For more information please refer to this link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442816.aspx

Thanks.

Tim Li

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Could you please let me know if the suggestion works for you or not? If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Tim Li

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:47 AM
  • We're also experiencing this error.  Given enough uninstalling and reinstalling and upgrading of a VSTO 4.0 package through clickonce I can reproduce this on any machine.

Thanks,
    Gabe

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi ,

Try following the KB article 982305 and let me know this resolves the issue.If if does not, try the following steps

1. Download VSTO Power Tools

2. Run the VSTO Troubleshooter and check for pre-requisites, if everything is OK. the follow step 3.

3. Run the VSTA Pipeline verifier on the machine and let me know the output.

Regards

Sidharth

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:49 PM
  • We are facing this issue too. On several machines. We have Word 2007 vsto addins targetting the .net 4.0. We have tried all the suggestions but none of them helped. Everything seems OK if we target the .Net 3.5.
    Friday, July 09, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Sorry guys I should have recognized the error earlier. Sidharth is on the money with KB982305. It essentially tells the story of how an update to .NET 3.5 SP1 which updates mscoree.dll to include .NET 4.0 APIs breaks the VSTO 2010 Runtime. Very soon after we released VSTO 2010 Runtime RTM we had to push a new version of the Runtime out with a fix. We simply replaced the version of the VSTO 2010 Runtime that was on the download center so that any deployment packages that prereq it will get the new version automatically. Unfortunately the version of VSTO 2010 Runtime that installs with Visual Studio 2010 is the broken one. You can download and install the new VSTO 2010 Runtime from here. It should install right over the top of the version of VSTO that was installed with Visual Studio 2010 but if you have any problems go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the VSTO 2010 Runtime first.

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Sorry but we just installed this new VSTO 2010 Runtime but the problem still remains. We had uninstalled the installed VSTO 2010 Runtime first as suggested. Please notice that the error code described in KB982305 (0x80004001) is not the same as that of this one (0x80131604).
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi

Your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support and will certainly need reviewing the problem environment in detail to get to root cause and run various diagnostics tools.

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Please note that in case the issue turns out to be bug,you won't be charged for the incident.

Regards
    Sidharth

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:13 PM
  • I am having this exact same issue with the same error code. Have also tried everything in these topics but to no avail. Details of my situation:

Development Machine is running Both versions of Visual Studio (2010/2008) as well as Office2010 + Windows7 Ultimate.

Target machine has Office 2007 + WindowsXP service pack 3

The project I was using had just gone through the Visual Studio 2008-2010 conversion process when this started happening so to rule out issues with this I created a blank Office Project with all defaults, published it without changing any setting and moved to the target machine - reproduced the same error.

Any help would be much appreciated otherwise I will need to take our addin back to VS 2008 and install office 2007 alongside 2010 until this is resolved.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:50 AM
  • I had the same issue and it solved itself by a miracle.

First of all, one possible error source:

I had an Excel AddIn targeted to the .NET Framework 4.0 (full version because of a Server-Type dll I need.) BUT in the requirements tab, the solution still was needing "just" the .NET Framework 4.0 client Version.

I changed that, rebooted, deleted all the event logs and then it worked. (really just after I deleted the event log which has completely nothing to do with the Studio...)

Just to mention, before, I did install the "new" VSTO 4.0 runtime mentioned above.

Maybe you can check that your AddIn does require the Framework Version which it targets....

• Proposed as answer by LouisDC Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:42 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Can anyone post the complete stack of the error message?

Also please let me know about your Development environment configuration i.e. Version of Office installed? Do you have Multiple Office versions on the Development machine?

What is the target Environment? Office version? OS version?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:56 AM
  • I followed Jan_OfficeDev's suggestion (on my own machine so far) and the problem's just gone. I can't believe it! I just cleared the application events log (and did nothing else) and now the .vsto seems to have been deployed successfully.

However even if the deployment apparently succeeded the event viewer shows that the clickOnce threw an exception. It is a FrameworkVersionMismatchException. Of course the .Net framework 4.0 is installed on my machine.

Exception: <compatibleFrameworks xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v2">

<framework targetVersion="4.0" profile="Full" supportedRuntime="4.0.30319" />

</compatibleFrameworks>

************** Exception Text **************

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.FrameworkVersionMismatchException: <compatibleFrameworks xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v2">

</compatibleFrameworks>

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.Install(ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager clickOnceAddInDeploymentManager, OfficeAddInDeploymentManager officeDeploymentManager, AddInInformation& info)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.ProcessInstallerOperation(ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager clickOnceAddInDeploymentManager, OfficeAddInDeploymentManager officeAddInDeploymentManager, AddInInformation& info)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.ProcessInstallerOperation(Boolean uninstall, Boolean silent, Uri manifest, Int32& errorCode, String& errorMessage)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0

Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 10.0.21022.1

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0/10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v10.0.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.AddIn

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.AddIn.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v10.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v10.0/10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v10.0.dll

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v10.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v10.0/10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v10.0.dll

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v10.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v10.0/10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v10.0.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Deployment

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Security

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3613 (GDR.050727-3600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Security/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Security.dll

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

• Proposed as answer by Bob.Mar Friday, July 23, 2010 5:49 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Just as an FYI, if you want to see the log for the ClickOnce install of a VSTO Add-In, you can set the log file location and it will write it there. Here's some info about it:

http://robindotnet.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/enhanced-logging-in-clickonce-deployment/

They did not add enhanced logging to the VSTO install, but at least you can see the basic C/O log information.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Been off this for a while and working on other projects.

I also followed JanOfficeDev's advice and it has fixed it. And just like kofb ALL i did was clear the Application Event log. No restarting. Nothing else.

My problem now, lies with deployment. Consider we chose clickonce for it's automatic updating it could be quite some overhead if we need to assist all our clients with clearing this log. I also harbour some concern that on an upgrade in the future the problem will just re-emerge but will do some new publishes for the sake of testing this and putting it through it's paces.

Unbelievable, strange solution. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Bob.Mar Friday, July 23, 2010 5:49 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:25 AM
  • I followed Jan_OfficeDev's suggestion (on my own machine so far) and the problem's just gone. I can't believe it! I just cleared the application events log (and did nothing else) and now the .vsto seems to have been deployed successfully.

However even if the deployment apparently succeeded the event viewer shows that the clickOnce threw an exception. It is a FrameworkVersionMismatchException. Of course the .Net framework 4.0 is installed on my machine.

Exception: <compatibleFrameworks xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v2">

</compatibleFrameworks>

************** Exception Text **************

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.FrameworkVersionMismatchException: <compatibleFrameworks xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v2">

</compatibleFrameworks>

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.Install(ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager clickOnceAddInDeploymentManager, OfficeAddInDeploymentManager officeDeploymentManager, AddInInformation& info)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.ProcessInstallerOperation(ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager clickOnceAddInDeploymentManager, OfficeAddInDeploymentManager officeAddInDeploymentManager, AddInInformation& info)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.SolutionInstaller.ProcessInstallerOperation(Boolean uninstall, Boolean silent, Uri manifest, Int32& errorCode, String& errorMessage)

Kofb, this is a known issue and is benign. You can safely ignore it.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Same here. I was able to fix the problem on two different machines just by clearing the Application Event log.
    • Proposed as answer by _ziMarrio_ Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:20 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:24 PM
  • For those of you who are encountering this error, do you only see this error when users try to install your add-in by running the .vsto file, or do you also see the error when they run the setup.exe file that is generated when you publish your solution? Running the .vsto file does not install any prerequisites if they are missing from the end user computer, such as the .NET Framework 4. It is by design that users would see some sort of error in this scenario if they do not have a particular prerequisite installed (not the error you are seeing, but an error nevertheless). Typically, users should install VSTO add-ins by running the setup.exe file.

Knowing whether this error occurs only when running the .vsto file or if it also occurs when running the setup.exe file will help the product team diagnose the issue.

Also, is anyone seeing this on a client computer running something other than Windows XP SP3?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Also, do you see the error the first time you install the add-in, or does the error only start occurring after you uninstall and the reinstall the add-in one or more times? (several posters above implied the latter was the case, but it is not clear whether this is the same with everyone).

If you have any precise set of steps for reliably producing this error (along with information about the client computer - OS, installed .NET Framework/VSTO runtime versions before running the installer, etc.), that would be a big help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:20 PM
    Answerer
  • The four machines I tried this on were all XP SP3 machines. One of them is my development machine, the others are a user's machine. In all cases I used setup.exe.

On my development machine, I believe it only started happening after I had installed/uninstalled several times. I believe it was also happening with VS 2008 (my project was originally .NET 3.5). I've since upgraded to VS 2010 Pro and ported the project to .NET 4 Client Profile, but the problem remains). I'm creating a Word 2007 Add-In (VSTO version 10?).

On the user's computer, the first time he tried installing, the installer hung while trying to download one of the prerequisites (or so he says; I wasn't there). Later when I came to help him and he tried again, he immediately got this error. We then tried it on another machine of his and it worked the first time (we didn't try it again).

I also tried it in a fairly clean virtual machine, and it worked the first time. (I haven't tried it again there since.)

When the error occurs, the dialog box just gives the error number in hex, with no message or indication as to what the actual issue is. No error appears in the event log. If I get it again, I'll try to capture a screen shot.

Finally, I've never had any problems running the project directly from Visual Studio.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Without a concrete scenario/configuration it makes difficult to pinpoint the cause of the problem. 

If you get a machine into this state (displaying the error message), could you try to attach a debugger to see the call stack that lead to the failure or get a process memory dump - VSTOInstaller.exe is the process you want if the error message comes from VSTO.

This link describes the process to obtain a memory dump http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2008/06/19/getting-a-full-memory-dump-for-a-process.aspx

Developer, VSTO
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Figured out how to reproduce. Basically, fill the event log (until no more events can be added), and then try to install.

To fill the event log, I created a batch file with this line in it (I suppose you could just type this at the command line as well):

FOR /L %%A IN (0,1,5000) DO EVENTCREATE /T INFORMATION /ID 1000 /L APPLICATION /D "test"

You may have to run this more than once to actually fill the log. You'll know that the log is full when you start seeing this message in the cmd window while the batch file is running:

ERROR: The event log file is full.

Then try to install the VSTO extension. It will fail with the obscure error code. Clearing the event log makes it work again. Refilling the application log makes it fail again.

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I tried attaching a debugger, but VS 2010 says there are no symbols loaded for any stack frame, and it can't show disassembly. I got a memory dump, but it's 111 MB, so I'm not sure how to give it to you.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Hi Bob

Can you please send me an email at sidsamples@live.com, i will send a URL to you where you can upload the files.

Regards

Sidharth

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hi Bob,

In addition to what Sidharth requested, can you check the Properties of Application event log.

Start -> Run -> Eventvwr -> Right click on Application and select Properties.

By default the Log is setup to "Overwrite events as needed" which means that you get an infiniate log, and when new events come oldest events will be overwritten.

Do you have "Overwrite events as needed" selected or "Do not overwrite events" selected?

Thanks,

Navneet

Navneet
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:08 PM
  • It is set to "Overwrite events older than 7 days". I never changed this setting, but IT may have done things to this machine before they gave it to me.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Sidharth, I sent you mail.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Thanks Bob, I have received the files.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I find the selected answer not very clear. This issue just happened to me (VS 2010, client computer running office 2007, windows XP sp3), and it took me all day to figure it out.

What solve it for me was: CLEAR THE APPLICATION EVENT LOG. I had "Overwrite events as needed" selected and it still didn't work. Just clear the application event log, and everything will be aaaaaaallll right.

/\/\}{
    • Proposed as answer by MuscleHead Friday, December 10, 2010 3:39 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Is there a resolution for this problem?  As indicated by others, Clearing the Application Event Log before each installation is logistically untenable and is unacceptable in an enterprise environment. 

Thanks

Steve

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:51 PM
  • The fix should be available with VSTO 2010 Runtime SP1 or Office 2010 SP1.

Please contact http://support.microsoft.com you may get more options depending upon your support contract.

Thanks,

Navneet

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:04 PM