none
How to make .NET distrubutable install from my project setup location?

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create in install project that wil include the 3.5 SP distribution file.

Currently when I run the install it tries to access the internet and download the setup.

I have the full distribution file but I dont know what to do so it is included in the build and the installation points to it.

Cheers in advance,

Kevin.

PS. I need to do the same with SQL Express and windows installer 3.1 :-) 
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

You did nothing wrong.

There are just a few steps you need to do so the requirement can be met.

Please refer to this article How to Include .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with Your Installer by Mary Lee. This article states the problem you've met and explains how to fix it:

How do you include the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1? You can download the full .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installer and extract the necessary files to the Visual Studio bootstrapper directory. After you modify the product.xml file and update the PublicKey value, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will appear in the Prerequisites Dialog Box. You can find the full instructions in the Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 Readme in section 2.3.1.1 Enable Samesite for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 bootstrapper package.
    Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    • Marked as answer by Elroacho Monday, July 06, 2009 10:09 PM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• I got the SQL Express and windows installer 3.1 working using the prerequisits but using the same process .NET 3.5 SP1 doesn't seem to be included in the installation package. In other words the folders where created for the other two but none for .net.

I did get a number of errors all saying something like:

Error 3 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX20\aspnet.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Work\CDEvolution\CDEvolution Client\CDEvolution\Install\Install\Install.vdproj Install

What am I doing wrong?

Kevin.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hello,

_read_ the error message ...

"Error 3 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX20\aspnet.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Work\CDEvolution\CDEvolution Client\CDEvolution\Install\Install\Install.vdproj Install"

... seems to be clear, that you need to alter your project.

In order to get proper installation files you need to follow these steps.

Download: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe
    Extract: dotnetfx35.exe /X:"."

You need to use wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFx35setup.exe to deploy .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

In wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX20 you will find ASPNET.msp ....

This is a known bug if I recall correctly.

Please let me know if it helps.
    cheers -f Martina http://www.ahk-software.de/
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

You did nothing wrong.

There are just a few steps you need to do so the requirement can be met.

Please refer to this article How to Include .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with Your Installer by Mary Lee. This article states the problem you've met and explains how to fix it:

How do you include the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1? You can download the full .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installer and extract the necessary files to the Visual Studio bootstrapper directory. After you modify the product.xml file and update the PublicKey value, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will appear in the Prerequisites Dialog Box. You can find the full instructions in the Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 Readme in section 2.3.1.1 Enable Samesite for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 bootstrapper package.
    Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    • Marked as answer by Elroacho Monday, July 06, 2009 10:09 PM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:27 AM
  • pingback from http://www.ahk-software.de/index.php/topic,24.0.html

Thanks
    cheers -f Martina http://www.ahk-software.de/
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Link worked great and took me through step by step

Cheers,
    Kevin.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 10:10 PM