none
"Verifying application requirements"

Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 7 installed on a Dell laptop. Each time Windows 7 fully starts-up, at some stage a windows saying "Verifying application requirements..." appears, stays there for a minute or more, and then disappears. I understand from what I see in this forum that it has something to do with ClickOnce and application updates, but I don't know which application tries to search for updates, so I can disable this in the normal way.

How can I find the source of this annoying message, or anyway disable this?

Thanks in advance!

Ofer

Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:13 AM

Answers

• I think this is a Dell issue not a Windows issue. If you disable or uninstall Dell System Detect it should fix the annoyance.

From Dell's website:

These are some of the common questions regarding Dell System Detect.

What is Dell System Detect and how does it work?

Dell System Detect is an application which scans your computer to detect your service tag. This enables automatic detection of updates related to Drivers and Downloads or other recommended software.
    This Application is installed when you request Dell to detect your service tag. Once downloaded, it can update itself to the latest version when the computer is connected to internet. Usually the application launches at start up.
    When any installed security application blocks Dell System Detect, a notification is displayed on the screen.

How to uninstall Dell System Detect?

1. Click Start and select Control Panel
    2. Select Program/Program Features and navigate to Dell System Detect
    3. Right click Dell System Detect and select uninstall
    4. Follow the prompts to complete the removal of the application.

• Proposed as answer by delraybuzz Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:43 AM
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi Ofer,

Thanks for your post.

With process monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx you will be able to know which app is running. I'm not sure if you can open it to capture running processes when startup. So maybe we can try another solution: You can try use msconfig command to open your startup applications. (Run->msconfig) and turn off applications one after another to see results.

If you can find it, please contact your app provider to Uncheck "This application should check for updates" when he deploied his application.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Monday, September 02, 2013 12:43 PM
    Monday, September 02, 2013 11:58 AM
  • To whom is ever interested: I eventually decided to try msconfig as described above, looked at the list of startup applications, and made a good guess; it was "Dell System Detect" that was responsible for all this, and once I stopped it from running at startup, that annoying popup disappeared. Thanks again, Barry!

Ofer

• Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:21 AM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Ofer,

Thanks for your post.

With process monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx you will be able to know which app is running. I'm not sure if you can open it to capture running processes when startup. So maybe we can try another solution: You can try use msconfig command to open your startup applications. (Run->msconfig) and turn off applications one after another to see results.

If you can find it, please contact your app provider to Uncheck "This application should check for updates" when he deploied his application.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Monday, September 02, 2013 12:43 PM
    Monday, September 02, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Thanks, Barry.

I'll try the process monitor, though it seems problematic to use it along stratup, as you say.

Msconfig isn't a convenient option, as there are many applications, and testing them one at a startup may prove to be a nightmare...

I think that Microsoft must supply a more intelligent way to solve this issue, about which so many users complain. The must be a way to prevent each and every dialog from appearing, or least a way to easily discover which application displays it. What Windows itself may do so easily, becomes hard labor for users.

Best regards,

Ofer

Monday, September 02, 2013 12:43 PM
  • To whom is ever interested: I eventually decided to try msconfig as described above, looked at the list of startup applications, and made a good guess; it was "Dell System Detect" that was responsible for all this, and once I stopped it from running at startup, that annoying popup disappeared. Thanks again, Barry!

Ofer

• Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:21 AM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:21 AM
  • I think this is a Dell issue not a Windows issue. If you disable or uninstall Dell System Detect it should fix the annoyance.

From Dell's website:

These are some of the common questions regarding Dell System Detect.

What is Dell System Detect and how does it work?

Dell System Detect is an application which scans your computer to detect your service tag. This enables automatic detection of updates related to Drivers and Downloads or other recommended software.
    This Application is installed when you request Dell to detect your service tag. Once downloaded, it can update itself to the latest version when the computer is connected to internet. Usually the application launches at start up.
    When any installed security application blocks Dell System Detect, a notification is displayed on the screen.

How to uninstall Dell System Detect?

1. Click Start and select Control Panel
    2. Select Program/Program Features and navigate to Dell System Detect
    3. Right click Dell System Detect and select uninstall
    4. Follow the prompts to complete the removal of the application.

• Proposed as answer by delraybuzz Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ofer Elboher Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:43 AM
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:16 PM
  • After spending weeks searching for an answer to that annoying "verification" window that suddenly appeared,  I stumbled on this forum,  and read about it being a Dell problem,  and realized I had made an online purchase from Dell just prior to this window's appearance!  I followed the instructions to uninstall Dell System Detect and miracle of miracles:  upon start-up,  the miserable Launching Application-Verifying Application Requirements has disappeared.

I cannot thank you enough!  This was my first experience with MSDN Forums and I'm convinced!

bless you all,

delraybuzz

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:11 AM