none
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) failed download

Question

• HELP!

I can't get the updated Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) to complete.

I have tried several times now. All have failed. I recently had to do a system restore. And i was loading my Turbo Tax software when I first became aware of it.

Turbo Tax wouldn't run. It said i need to unistall Turbo Tax and then uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 because it was corupt.

I was able to uninstall Turbo Tax. But not .NET 2.0

I'm not sure what to do now?

Help me

Saturday, February 02, 2008 11:32 PM

Answers

• Well I got the same error with my  TURBO TAX  and installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 from the microsoft site would not work. SO HERE IS A LITTLE PATCH "SEE LINK BELOW" THAT WILL CLEAN UP YOUR .NET FRAMEWORK FOR YOU then it will work.

I too have Windows XP SP2, FULLY LOADED UP TO .NET 3.0 the error codes for SP1 were throwing me off. 

I first got error code KB929300 AND KB110806, then couldn't get those to work at all, tried to ignore them for awhile. Then, when I tried to install my Turbotax software it would not install!!  Found in other blogs that  .NET framework 3.5. install might fix the issue.  AND YES I could not get 3.5 to install either, I got error code .Net 2.0a.  So finally got this cleanup tool!!!  Evidently somehow the .NET FRAMEWORK either got corrupted or?? well who knows. Anyway, here it is, you need the link below to fix it. Plus read all my notes on housekeeping to get this to work and solve your pesky problems too! It worked for me and now I am HAPPY!!!

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

1) Clean off delete all temp files off your machine, with ccleaner.com or other, or just go to Local Settings, Temp (have to unhide these files to see them).  VITAL!!!

2) Close all internet windows open, VITAL!!!

3) Close HP photo digital imaging monitor in task tray, if you have a high end HP printer installed like I do, HP C7180, I found it interfered w/ installations.

4) Run Zip file link above

5) Immediately close Microsoft.com update internet window where you got zip file, or it won't work!!!

6) direct it to fix all versions of .NET, may need to restart computer

7) repeat steps 1-3

8) Open Windows update check for updates, custom install should have 3-4 packages to update

9) Update only one at a time, start with .NET FRAMEWORK version 1.1 Service Pack 1

10) restart computer, repeat steps 1-3

11) Open windows update check for updates, custom, may have KB928366 OR KB110806, ONLY run one update at a time.

12) restart computer, repeat steps 1-3

13) open windows update, check for updates, custom install should have KB829019  .NET 2.0:X86 run install

14) restart computer, repeat steps 1-3

15) open windows update custom install, KB928416 .NET 3.0:x86 should be last one.

16) restart computer

17) May get a few anomoly error messages documentviewer.msi missing or can't find photogallery, will have to resolve these later, end messages running with "WINDOWS TASK MANAGER" to move on.

Anyway this fixed it for me, plus it fixed the original errors I kept getting from not being able to update and install KB929300 AND KB110806 Microsoft updates which were pesky SP1 updates that were to say the least annoying!!!

Haven't checked to see if Turbotax software works yet, but my guess is it will now.

moving on...

Report Abuse  
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:28 PM
  • See if this helps you:

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) by PA

PA
    Sat Feb 02 12:15:37 PST 2008

First, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).

If no joy, see this recent post by my colleague MowGreen:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d76de7769d04493

--
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
    DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

If this helps you, & it should, have a good day.

portreyron
    Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:58 AM
  • You will need to follow these instructions to resolve the .NET issue/problem. These were originally posted by tammysisland in this thread. The link is the zip file. Clean your temp files/pc with ccleaner. Free downloand at ccleaner.com. Follow Tammy's instructions step by step. Takes some time but will correct the problem.

1) Clean off delete all temp files off your machine, with ccleaner.com or other, or just go to Local Settings, Temp (have to unhide these files to see them).  VITAL!!!

3) Close HP photo digital imaging monitor in task tray, if you have a high end HP printer installed like I do, HP C7180, I found it interfered w/ installations.

5) Immediately close Microsoft.com update internet window where you got zip file, or it won't work!!!

7) repeat steps 1-3

8) Open Windows update check for updates, custom install should have 3-4 packages to update

9) Update only one at a time, start with .NET FRAMEWORK version 1.1 Service Pack 1

11) Open windows update check for updates, custom, may have KB928366 OR KB110806, ONLY run one update at a time.

13) open windows update, check for updates, custom install should have KB829019  .NET 2.0:X86 run install

15) open windows update custom install, KB928416 .NET 3.0:x86 should be last one.

16) restart computer

17) May get a few anomoly error messages documentviewer.msi missing or can't find photogallery, will have to resolve these later, end messages running with "WINDOWS TASK MANAGER" to move on.

Anyway this fixed it for me, plus it fixed the original errors I kept getting from not being able to update and install KB929300 AND KB110806 Microsoft updates which were pesky SP1 updates that were to say the least annoying!!!

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:08 AM

All replies

•  

Why would Microsoft have us download something thats gonna cause a conflict?  I'm thinking I should turn OFF my auto update now.

Since I created this thread, I have been able to uninstall .NET Frame 2.0 .

And my Microsoft Updater keeps trying to install it agin. Everytime it fails.

This is becoming very fustrating.

I wanted to start working on my Taxes with Turbo Tax and now i can't!  I've wasted more time with this ***.

I'm about to switch to a MAC PC.  I hear they have a LOT less headache.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi

What is your Windows Version and what errors you got from installing .NET Framework 2.0 sp1?

Thanks

Monday, February 04, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

I didn't notice any error messages when I did the update. It just keeps saying it failed.

When I try to run my Turbo Tax program it says that the .NET Framework 2.0 was corrupt and that I need to go to Add & Remove and remove Turbo Tax and then .NET Framework 2.0 .

Now that I have uninstalled  NET Framework 2.0 it won't let me install it again.

I even tried to load the 3.0 and had no luck either.

Monday, February 04, 2008 8:33 PM
  • So you're now going to install .NET Framework 2.0, could you please give some descriptive information of the failure and follow the steps

What to do when you go to post a setup and deployment issue on the MSDN forums?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/what-to-do-when-you-go-to-post-a-setup-and-deployment-issue-on-the-msdn-forums.aspx

Thanks

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:32 AM
  • I am having the same problem. I have attempted six times to download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806), and have failed six times over a period of four days.

This is a Dell Dimension 3100 running Windows XP Professional: Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with 512MB RAM and 18GB free space. The update downloads but the install fails. 

I got the download (the first four times) from the Automatic Updates download, which is enabled on this machine, and the last two times by accessing the Update page directly and clicking the button to download and install updates.

I presently have .NET Framework 1.1, the Hotfix (KB928366), .NET Framework 2.0, the Security update for .NET Framework 2.0 (KB928365) in the machine.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:37 AM
  •  

1. I am trying to download Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)

Per my Microsoft Windows Update.

2. I'm trying to get the updat from Microsoft Update:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

3. I have no idea what versin or date it is except for what it say at the Microsoft Update page.

That it a Priority Update need for my PC

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)

4. I went to my Control Panel and looked up unde the Add & Remove to see what I had. If this isn't right please let me

know.

1. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix (KB887998)

2. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hofix (KB930494)

3. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

4. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)

5. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

6. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB928365)

I thought I had it removed. But it is showing up in the Add & Remove list. And Microsoft Update still says I need to do a Priority update of Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.

I just tried to do a updat and it said it failed? I clicked on the ? mark where is says failed. And this is what it says:

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x643
    Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

For assisted support options:

I'v tried to dowmload it many times.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  

hi i have windowas xp, and it keep saying you have new up dates and when i click on it to down load and install it sayd download failed  every time what do i do please help barbara
    Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:55 AM
  • See if this helps you:

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) by PA

PA
    Sat Feb 02 12:15:37 PST 2008

First, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).

If no joy, see this recent post by my colleague MowGreen:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d76de7769d04493

--
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
    AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
    DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

If this helps you, & it should, have a good day.

portreyron
    Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:58 AM
  • I am also having the error, and just after two computers tried to install the update, both computers started refusing to load my Quickbooks software.  Both are 3GHZ machine with 1MB of memory running XP Pro.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Hey Bob same thing happen to me. I didn't realize Turbo Tax was involved until I read your post. My turbo tax came up with the same message but it also gave me the following

Note: If error 20888 39771 persists, install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 from the Microsoft site.

I down loaded it and all seems to be working correctly now. One note when I down loaded a message stated that I could disconnect from the net. but the progress box showed less than half complete. I ignored it and waited took about 15 minutes or so.

Hope this works for you

Socityjim@hotmail.com

Friday, February 08, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Well I got the same error with my  TURBO TAX  and installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 from the microsoft site would not work. SO HERE IS A LITTLE PATCH "SEE LINK BELOW" THAT WILL CLEAN UP YOUR .NET FRAMEWORK FOR YOU then it will work.

I too have Windows XP SP2, FULLY LOADED UP TO .NET 3.0 the error codes for SP1 were throwing me off. 

I first got error code KB929300 AND KB110806, then couldn't get those to work at all, tried to ignore them for awhile. Then, when I tried to install my Turbotax software it would not install!!  Found in other blogs that  .NET framework 3.5. install might fix the issue.  AND YES I could not get 3.5 to install either, I got error code .Net 2.0a.  So finally got this cleanup tool!!!  Evidently somehow the .NET FRAMEWORK either got corrupted or?? well who knows. Anyway, here it is, you need the link below to fix it. Plus read all my notes on housekeeping to get this to work and solve your pesky problems too! It worked for me and now I am HAPPY!!!

7) repeat steps 1-3

16) restart computer

Haven't checked to see if Turbotax software works yet, but my guess is it will now.

moving on...

Report Abuse  
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Gentlemen TURBOTAX NOW WORKS WITH THE PATCH AND DIRECTIONS LISTED ABOVE. OH YOU CAN THANK ME LATER.

IT WILL TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR OF DILIGENT WORK ON YOUR PART AND YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE OVER, JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ABOVE. TAX ON!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Barbara see entry regarding patch link and instructions.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:15 PM
  •  Tammysisland wrote:

Gentlemen TURBOTAX NOW WORKS WITH THE PATCH AND DIRECTIONS LISTED ABOVE. OH YOU CAN THANK ME LATER.

IT WILL TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR OF DILIGENT WORK ON YOUR PART AND YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE OVER, JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ABOVE. TAX ON!

Tammy...been following this original post awaiting final disposition and today was alerted to your posts...OMG!

Have decided to print all this and wrap my TurboTax disc in it and mail it to the IRS. A note attached that they can do my return and Bill Me...LOL?  Their Idea that we should file electronically for their convenience soooooooo ........

Two days updating Net Framework issues now and three nights reading tax docs...I am to tired to file this year.

THANKS FOR THE GUIDANCE...may be ready for next year?
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Oh sorry this is not a Turbo Tax issue, this is a Microsoft .NET Framework issue.  It just so happens it came up around tax time, and for TurboTax off the shelf software that you install on your machine to work correctly I guess your .NET Framework has to be working to par.  

Since I had problems with my software I just decided to do my taxes online at TurboTax.com and It worked fine, so I just submitted my taxes that way instead.  But, after running the zip file and Windows update your installable software will work just fine, I tested mine after I did all the updates and it installed correctly. I jsut didn't want to wait.  

Not sure why some people are having issue with their .NET Framwork and others are not. My dad doesn't have an issue or problems with his updates on his computer but I did.  So the question is it a glitch in the Microsoft .NET SOFTWARE or is something on each of our machines or what??? 

Anyway, the link I have above is from a Microsoft person and it is zip file that will fix all versions of .NET framework with a few glitches so I just added my steps I took. 

In a nutshell all you have to do clean off all your temp files on your computer so they don't get in the way.

Then, run the zip file, close your internet window after running the zip file, this is extremely important.  Let the zip file run, restart computer, then just go to Windows Updates and run the successive updates, each time cleaning off the temp files off your computer and close the internet window while running the updates. Otherwise they will not work.  That's it, then your Turbotax software will work.

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:00 AM
  • Tammysisland,

Thank you very much. I followed your post instructions and cleaned up my XP Pro SP2 pc. I haven't tried to install Turbo Tax as yet. I was experiencing the same problems as others have posted. This process allowed successful updates to >.NET 3.0, 3.0 SP1, & Update for 3.0. Took about 1 to 1.5 hours to do. Really appreciate the help and resolution.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. TURBO TAX PEOPLE COULD NOT HELO. ALSO CANNOT UPDATE NET FRAM 2.0 SERVICE PACK 1

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Henry,

Follow the directions provided by Tammysisland on page 1 (12th posting) here. It worked for me.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Hi techoes,

I've not read all the threads in the topic....but I am haivn tough time installing SQL Server 2008 CTP on my windows VISTA home, it is asking for Microsoft .Net framework 2.0 SP1, while I've already Microsoft .Net framework 2.0  SP2 installed on my system.....though I gave try with downloading Microsoft .Net framework 2.0 SP1 it is saying not compatible with Vista Version....I went further with downloading 3.0 also...but all in vain....someone please help me out of this pain...I want SQL Server 2008 on my Vista!

regards and thanks

Jeet

Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Help me to uninstall NET Framework 2.0 because it was corupt,so that i can Reinstall please.

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I recommend following the directiond in Tammysisland post (12th posting) here. A bit time consuming but it works!

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:42 PM
  • I spent all night on this problem and found that even after I did all that was recommended in the link,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

I still had problems with installing 2.0 or 3.0 SP1.  When I went to link above and re-tried to install 2.0 SP1 from the link as opposed to Help and Support Center Auto Update, it worked fine. 

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:47 AM
  • The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time, let's refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

============================================

1. Visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file on the Desktop.

3. Please double click the msicuu2.exe file to install it on the computer.

Step 2: Remove .NET Framework

========================

1. Click Start -> (All) Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up.

2. Please locate and remove all .NET Framework software.

After that, please perform the following suggestions to reinstall .NET Framework 2.0 and its updates.

Step 3: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package and its updates

================================================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/c/08c19fa4-4c4f-4ffb-9d6c-150906578c9e/NetFx20SP1_x86.exe

Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click Save, and follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

bobcat031 wrote:

HELP!

I can't get the updated Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) to complete.

I have tried several times now. All have failed. I recently had to do a system restore. And i was loading my Turbo Tax software when I first became aware of it.

Turbo Tax wouldn't run. It said i need to unistall Turbo Tax and then uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 because it was corupt.

Help me

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:02 PM
  •  bobcat031 wrote:

HELP!

Help me

The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time, let's refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it:

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

============================================

1. Visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file on the Desktop.

3. Please double click the msicuu2.exe file to install it on the computer.

Step 2: Remove .NET Framework

========================

1. Click Start -> (All) Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up.

2. Please locate and remove all .NET Framework software.

After that, please perform the following suggestions to reinstall .NET Framework 2.0 and its updates.

Step 3: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package and its updates

================================================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/c/08c19fa4-4c4f-4ffb-9d6c-150906578c9e/NetFx20SP1_x86.exe

Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click Save, and follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:06 PM
  • i try to claen old file from by activex error all way to claen up and i want to new part name add downlaod everything to make up check my computer check it

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:18 PM
  • I've tried your instructions from step 1 - 2. However, I got error message when installing .Net Framework 2.0 setup as follow:

'Error 20515. Fail to install assembly: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft_VsaVb.dll' because of system error: The process cannot access the file because it is being by another process.'

Where can I find the file is being used? 

I've been trying to use Turbo Tax for last 4 weeks but keep getting problem with .Net Framework V2.0 Service Pack 1 failed install.

I am novice to PC and I am desparately trying to finish the filing before April 15. I've used Turbo Tax for last 6-7 years without problem except this year. I've worked on my own and with Turbo Tax Tech Support for 6 times by removing and re-installing both Microsoft .Net Framework and Turbo Tax softwares but no go.

Please help!  Thank you very much

Regards

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:50 AM
  • kc6rwo

You don't indicate whose instructions you followed. I followed Tammysisland posted instruction found on the 1st screen of this thread. The process will take you 1 to 2 hours. It did fix the problem on my pc and Turbo Tax installed without a hitch. I have done a copy & paste of Tammysisland post here. Good luck!

Well I got the same error with my  TURBO TAX  and installing Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 from the microsoft site would not work. SO HERE IS A LITTLE PATCH "SEE LINK BELOW" THAT WILL CLEAN UP YOUR .NET FRAMEWORK FOR YOU then it will work.

7) repeat steps 1-3

16) restart computer

moving on...

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  

hi

Maybe it's time to bring the big guns in... ;-)

Download the Installer for "Windows Install Cleanup" :

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...1bd/msicuu2.exe

And run it. After you've run it, you'll see a menu entry for
    "Windows Install Cleanup" in your Programs entry in the Start Button.

Run it, and it will present you with a list of programs which you have installed.

Check to see if there's any .Net Framework 2.0-related programs
    in the list, select them ( make sure you don't select any other program! )
    ....and click the "Remove" button.

The "Windows Install Cleanup" utility allows you to :

1. identify .Net Framework components which still need to be uninstalled
    2. remove them

Be careful when you select the items from the list.
    You don't want to uninstall programs you need.

Uninstall everything .Net Framework 2.0-related,
    and you may be in better shape to reinstall them.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

The last resort after this (short of formatting the drive), would be to delete the
    ..Net 2.0 file directories, and delete all the .Net Framework 2.0 Registry entries.

Let's hope it doesn't get to that...or to a format.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:01 AM
  • After reading the above complaints about this KB110806 patch update, I am sitting in absolute wonderment about how Microsoft can release anything that doesn't work - and work properly. I am not surprized that others talk of moving to MAC or LINUX, open source, and other such software. I have and installed OpenOffice.org software just because it's NOT a Microsoft product and it's free! So much for Office 2007 which in my country costs way far too much, contributing only to the profits of the organization and their salubrious offices.

I run Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on a 1.8GHz Celeron with 784MB RAM and a 300GB HDD. Although I have the Microsoft .NET Framework installed, I don't know what it's for and never use it. So I will probably find it and uninstall it so I don't have these problems again.

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I receive the following message "dotnetfx.exe is NOT a valid Win 32 executable and will not be run!"

Can you help?

Thank you,

dbessis

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Where is the fix to resolve this problem.  I am having the problem and cant get the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service pack 1 to install.

What is the fix?

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I am a little confused.  Where is this zip file you are talking about to fix the issue to install the Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 service pack 1?  I am having the same problem to install this update.

Please help or direct me to the fix.

Thanks

jimjulieyale@msn.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I am a little confused.  Where is this zip file you are talking about to fix the issue to install the Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 service pack 1?  I am having the same problem to install this update.

Please help or direct me to the fix.

Thanks

jimjulieyale@msn.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:48 PM
  • You will need to follow these instructions to resolve the .NET issue/problem. These were originally posted by tammysisland in this thread. The link is the zip file. Clean your temp files/pc with ccleaner. Free downloand at ccleaner.com. Follow Tammy's instructions step by step. Takes some time but will correct the problem.

7) repeat steps 1-3

16) restart computer

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:08 AM
  • i am having trouble trying to install sp1 kb110806 it fails every time

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:50 PM
  • I worked around my problem in a simple way. Like others on this thread, my system wanted to do an automatic update to install this service pack, but it continued to fail. Like others, my QuickBooks application would not start. Additionally, my SQL Server Management Studio Express would not start.

My approach though was to first download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 redistributable (which I think gave me a failure message), then to run the Windows update that had failed in the prior dozen attempts. Yes, the update continued to fail:

BUT MY APPLICATIONS WORK AGAIN!

I can use QuickBooks and SQL Server, so I'll fret over the service pack later.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I'm haveing the same issue everyone else is with .NET Framework 2.0 SP 1.

I tried to follow mpm1111's instructions, but when I tried to run msicuu2.exe, nothing happened.  It wouldn't install.  I could not get to Step 2.

I tried to go to Add/Remove Software and remove .NET Framework Version 2.0.  However I got an error that said... An error occurred during setup.  Windows installer service could not be accessed.  Contact your support personnel to verify that the windows installer service is properly registered.

I'm having trouble with serveral programs that I'm trying to install or upgrade that I think must be related to this issue. 

Any other suggestions on what I need to do?

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:17 PM
  • If you haven't already done so, please review my 14Apr2008 post above.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:40 AM
  • The 'dotnetfix' link worked great, I no longer have the 'yellow update sheild' showing in task bar; as it kept trying to install: -Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) (update 1 of 1)-...and was always failing. And I used 'disk cleanup' (found in accessories/system tools) to clear 'temporary internet files' and 'recycle bin'..before extracting files from 'dotnetfix'.
    Thanks a bunch for the link
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:42 PM
  • bobcat031...try this link it worked for me : http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip...I also had problem with  failed update: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)...the above link will fix,,, be sure to clear 'temporary internet files' , via: ' disk cleanup'...found in accessories, then go to system tools. And close internet before unzipping/extracting files from 'dotnetfx'.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:57 PM
  • HELP !!  I have tried also to get this program to download, Net framework and it has failed several times too.  I have windows XP and the correct service pack too, but it still won't go.  I have purchased the NCLEX 4000 disc to study for boards and can't get it to work ,, I so desperately need to get it done !! 

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:51 AM
  •  

massage field is manual
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:59 PM
  • If you haven't already done so, please review my 14Apr2008 post above.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  bobcat031 wrote:

HELP!

Help me

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Jessica,

If you haven't already done so, please review my 14Apr2008 post above.

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:58 AM
  •  

massage field is manual
    Friday, April 25, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  bobcat031 wrote:

HELP!

Help me

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:20 PM
  • when autoupdate failed, i tried installing it myself but it failed also.,then it display a code 0 0x8007000B 

I don't know if that refered to the failed service pak download, or something else I was working on. 

Before the auto update failed, there was another security update that did not completely download.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:50 PM
  • Will this work with Windows Professional 2000 SP4 also? I've also been having problems with Net Framework 2.0 SP1 and I just want to make sure if do these steps I won't mess up my system. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Alicia

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Jerry E.

Has anything changed since your post of April 14th.  I too have been getting failure to install KB110806 and now KB929300 (after trying to install service pack 3).

I am really reluctant to do all these fixes.  Are there serious repurcussions if I don't?  thanks.  Maureen 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  

TammysIsland, thanks for your work on these instructions.  I am getting the same message (it started after a restore a few weeks ago).  I'll try them later.

MaureenT

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:46 PM
  • MaureenT,

I personally don't know of another and easier fix. I followed Tammysisland instructions and was completely successful, including no issues with Turbo Tax. I installed SP3 on May 11 and have no issues with Windows XP Pro SP3.

I'd recommend taking the time to do the fix. Otherwise, could pose a problem at some later date. I'd restore back to SP2, then do the fix process, then update to SP3.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:32 PM
  •  Jerry E wrote:

MaureenT,

I personally don't know of another and easier fix. I followed Tammysisland instructions and was completely successful, including no issues with Turbo Tax. I installed SP3 on May 11 and have no issues with Windows XP Pro SP3.

I'd recommend taking the time to do the fix. Otherwise, could pose a problem at some later date. I'd restore back to SP2, then do the fix process, then update to SP3.

Thanks,  Jerry E I did take the time to follow Tammyisland's instructions this afternoon and everything was successful.    Everything seems to be working fine right now............   I'll wait a day or two and then go to SP3.  Thanks for your help. 

Maureen

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:56 PM
  • I have XP with the same problem..........trying to download Microsoft.Net framework 2.0 sp1.....and cannot update. After updating it did not say any error/corrupt files......KB110806 was the only thing that meant nothing to me...just was not able to update??? Besides removing a file.....and then later not being able to get the file back....what should I do THAT I would not have a problem getting the info back/updated. 

Any techie out there willing to help?
    • Edited by zbrstripes Monday, June 02, 2008 12:39 AM forgot info
    Monday, June 02, 2008 12:12 AM
  • I to can not get this stupid thing to install, but I never get any error messages. Did some investigating. Doesnt seem to be that importent of a update if your only a casual user of the computer. Seems to be for people who use servers and making software. I just keep ignoring the damn message and won't try to install it any more.
    Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:53 AM