none
Performing an FFT using C++ AMP

Question

• In Direct3D we have the ability to perform 1, 2 or 3D FFTs using the D3DX11CreateFFTxxx etc.

Is there a way to access this functionality when using C++ AMP or do I have to write my own code in a kernal to implement the calculation?

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Friday, October 21, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ah the FFT, yes there is some calls in Direct3D, but I probably could conjure up something in a few weeks

I recall Fourier analysis from an old honors math class I took, it focused on the wave equation

Read the manuals for DirectX if that API is all you need

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, October 21, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Hi Mark,

The D3D FFT functions can't be directly used from a C++ AMP kernel.

I haven't tried this, but since ID3DDX11FFT interface operates on unordered access views, it should be possible to perform these FFT transformations outside of a kernel, and then use these UAV's to create C++ AMP arrays to do further computations on.  If you try this, let us know how it works.

Thanks.

++don;
    • Marked as answer by PTRMark Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:53 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:34 PM
    Owner
  • Don,

Thanks for the suggestion - it didn't occur to me to mix DirectCompute and C++ AMP in the same application.

Kind Regards

Mark

Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Don,

I am not aware of mixing DirectCompute & AMP either. The application I am working on involves lots of Texture2D and UAVs, which are not directly supported in C++ AMP. Could you elaborate on the approach of mixing C++ AMP & DirectCompute, or even show some code examples?

Thanks!

lakeeast

Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Hi Mark & lakeeast,

If you look at discussion here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/parallelcppnative/thread/b6e8f31e-723b-4eeb-8b4e-6a6ee5e756f3

It talks a little bit about the interop support between C++ AMP and Direct3D (not just DirectCompute). The main requirement is that the C++ Array and ID3D11Buffer can interop only if the buffer is a structured buffer with stride of 4 bytes.  In the preview bits, there are some other requirements that we are looking to relax.

Thanks,

Weirong

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Mark, we now have a wrapper for FFT which means you do not need to do the interop yourself, so please check it out:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nativeconcurrency/archive/2011/11/15/the-c-amp-fft-library.aspx

http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:29 AM
    Owner
  • 1 question I have is how many data points are there that need to be transformed

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:42 AM