none
WCF Extensions for the real VS 2005?

Question

• Hi

I'd like to know if one can install Development Tools for WinFX extensions for the retail version of MS VS 2005 and WCF GoLive binaries. Previous version of the VS extensions is not even being installed since it's MSI-installer does need VS Codename "Orcas" to work with.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• The extensions themlselves are called "Orcas". They require VS2005 retail.

Get the latest version by selecting it from the entry page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getthebeta/

If they don't install for you,  you should install with:

msiexec.exe /l*v errorlog.txt /i vsextwfs.msi

and post the resulting log as a reply here.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:54 PM
  • Hi, Clemens

and thanks for reply. I actually downloaded and installed WCF Runtime from that location : http://msdn.microsoft.com/winfx/getthebeta/golive/downloads/default.aspx . I've tried to install WinFX binaries from the location you gave, but for some reason, winfxsetup.exe stalling on my computer and I cannot kill it, even using Task Manager -- only reboot helps.

I've also tried to install extensions with your command line, here is a log:

=== Verbose logging started: 21.02.2006  18:01:54  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435  Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===
    MSI (c) (A8:A8) [18:01:54:095]: Resetting cached policy values
    MSI (c) (A8:A8) [18:01:54:110]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
    MSI (c) (A8:A8) [18:01:54:110]: ******* RunEngine:
               ******* Product: vsextwfs.msi
               ******* Action:
               ******* CommandLine: **********
    MSI (c) (A8:A8) [18:01:54:110]: Note: 1: 2203 2: vsextwfs.msi 3: -2147287038
    MSI (c) (A8:A8) [18:01:54:110]: MainEngineThread is returning 2
    === Verbose logging stopped: 21.02.2006  18:01:54 ===

vsextwfx.msi, once it launched alone, says, that prerequisite is missing and I need to have WinFX binaries installed before installing VS Extensions.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:21 PM
  • If you only installed the WCF binaries rather than instlaling WinFX and overlaying the WCF binaries that may be your problem.  The VS tools assume the full WinFX runtime.  The WinFX runtime install will fail if there is already an installed component like the WCF binaries.  I suggest you uninstall the WCF binaries, install WinFX, install WCF, then install the VS extensions.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:54 PM
  • The February WinFX CTP have exactly the same problem for me. I've tried to shutdown firewall and antivirus, but still get the same problem - running setup, it gets 100% CPU and I cant kill it, only reboot helps.

I've downloaded January WinFX SDK and installed it, but VSExtWFX.msi still fails, so, I have to create WCF Services proxy classes manually from the command line and this is very boring.

I've tried to move unpacked setup files from the temporary directory to another folder and run setup.exe from there. Well, now I see the splash screen which tells me, that I need to download more. I click ok, and setup fails suddenly with the funny error log: setup cannot find Indigo and Avalon directories.

So, can I have a direct links to the Indigo and Avalon from the February WInFX's CTP?

Thank you!
    Friday, February 24, 2006 12:44 PM
  • Might it be that you have earlier beta components (WinFX, VS2005, SQL included) still on your machine?
    Friday, February 24, 2006 1:41 PM
  • Actually, Beta2 didn't ever been on that computer. I've ran both: CleanupSharedWinFXFiles and vs_uninst_betas utilities with no luck. So, may I have direct links to the latest WinFX binaries, please?

Thank you!
    Friday, February 24, 2006 2:47 PM