none
Using "Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library"

Question

• We have an app that uses the "Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library" COM object in the References and builds find on the developer's machine, but cannot build on our TFS Build Server.  The exact Build error message is:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(0,0): warning MSB3287: Cannot load type library for reference "Microsoft.Office.Core". Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED))

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(0,0): warning MSB3287: Cannot load type library for reference "Outlook". Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED))

classes\OutlookEmail.cs(12,31): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Office' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I assume that we need to add the Office 2003 PIAs to the Build Server.  Is this correct? 

I download them from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3c9a983a-ac14-4125-8ba0-d36d67e0f4ad&displaylang=en (file name O2003PIA.exe) but when I try to install the installer package "o2003PIA.msi" I get the error message "Please install Microsoft Office 2003 before installing this package".  The error is message is rather self-exlanatory, but our company has a policy against installing MS Office on its servers, due in part because Microsoft recommends against it.  So befoe I ask to install MS Office on the TFS Build Server, I need to get confirmation that this is our only option.

So, if I want to build an app that uses Office 2003 objects on the TFS Build Server, must I install Office 2003 on that server?  Or is there another way to obtain and register the Office 2003 PIA's?

Steve Guidos

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Steve:

Yes you are right. You need to install this Office Primary Interop Assemblies to the build server.

Office 2003 PIAs includes the Office Primary Interop Assemblies. Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library is one part of these assemblies.

Office PIAs are wrappers for COM based Office components which are installed during installation of Office 2003.

You can install the complete set of primary interop assemblies in two ways:

• Perform a Complete installation of Microsoft Office.

• Install them from the redistributable primary interop assemblies package

Here is a link: How to Install Office Primary Interop Assemblies:

The O2003PIA.EXE mentioned in your post is the redistributable primary interop assemblies package.

The package works with the MS Office 2003.

Yes you are right. You need to install MS office 2003 before install the redistributable package.

So in this way you must install Office 2003 on the build server. 

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:38 AM

All replies

• Hello Steve:

Yes you are right. You need to install this Office Primary Interop Assemblies to the build server.

Office 2003 PIAs includes the Office Primary Interop Assemblies. Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library is one part of these assemblies.

Office PIAs are wrappers for COM based Office components which are installed during installation of Office 2003.

The O2003PIA.EXE mentioned in your post is the redistributable primary interop assemblies package.

Yes you are right. You need to install MS office 2003 before install the redistributable package.

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:38 AM
  • Hello Steve:

I have marked one reply as answer. If it doesn't work. you can unmark it and post your question freely.

Thank your very much

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:19 AM
  • I am in the same situation as the previous person however I tried installing the redistributable primary interop assemblies package on our server, and the application still won't work.  I downloaded the O20003PIA.EXE file and extracted all the files and then ran O2003PIA.MSI and nothing happened.  This is the error I get when I try to run my application: System.IO.FileNotFoundException:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken-71e9bce111e9429c' or one if its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified.

Any other suggestions.  We are really trying to avoid completely installing Microsoft Office on our Server so if you can make another suggestion or tell me what I am doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Just need to ensure to re-add the Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library from the COM tab of the solution references. Then save, build and close solution. On the close step one may still see the option. If so, restart the IDE and the solution warning should clear itself.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Hello Steve:

Thank your very much

I Solved My problem after install Office primary install assemblies ....

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:29 AM