none
How to add a software installer as a prerequisites software in the Visual Studio Installer Setup Project?

Question

• Hi Developers,

I am facing a strange question while setup my program exe in VS2010.

My program need others program to support it for some additional function, so when i create a Setup Project in VS2010, can i add the third party exe as my prerequisites to prevent the user never or forget to install the necessary software ?

The steps in my mind:

Create new Setup project => Install (third party software)programX.exe => (then) Install MyProject.exe  

Thanks you guys in advanced for all the helps.

Best Regards,

Zong_Zofz

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:35 AM

All replies

• You can, but help for that is not a VB question. 

Try a forum which handles the install software you use.

Be aware Windows 8 apps can be refused because of the dependencies you want.

Success
    Cor

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Hi Cor Ligthert,

Thanks for your reply.

How if the question change to : How to add a VB.net setup exe without the the solution and project files, it just only have the msi and setup into Visual Studio Installer setup? That mean an setup exe embedded in another setup exe for prerequisites installation. 

Is it have the guide or solution for the problem?

Thanks and regards,

Zong_zofz

• Edited by Zong_Zofz Friday, September 28, 2012 8:33 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Than let us make it simple, the only thing you need is the Exe file, you can in fact copy and past it and it will run as long as the right framework is on the destination computer.

Success
    Cor

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Hi Zong_Zofz,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

If you are looking for the one as Cor showed, you can simply get it by bulid your application (by right click the [applicationname] in Solution Explorer Windows-> Build). You will find a exe file in your debug or release folder belongs to Bin folder in your project folder.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 01, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi Mark Liu,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for that, your solution is not what i am looking for.

But anyway, your helps are appreciated. 

Thanks and regards,

Zong

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:30 AM