none
Code66A NET Framework 4 update which has failed to install using VISTA 32 bit

Question

• I keep receiving a NET Framework 4 update which has failed to install 17 times over the past 6 days and Code 66A error appears. Since I use 32 bit Windows VISTA Home Premium 6.0 (Build 6002: Service pack 2 ) and not 64 bit I thought I’d post this problem ;

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2446708)

Installation date: ‎4/‎21/‎2011 10:29 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 66A

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=204898

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

Thanks

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:07 PM

Answers

• I appreciate all who offered possible solutions. 

The following procedure worked for Vista 32 bit. 

I cleared out the failed updates in the  %temp% directory. 

I disabled the Microsoft Security Essentials (a/v program ).

I ran the Verification Tool for NET4 and it was verified. (no error was found ).

I ran the Repair option via Uninstall. 

I shut off the computer (the button had a download icon on it).

I started computer and activated MSE a/v program. 

The update was successfully installed. 

Thanks for the help. 

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the same problem. Please can someone advise.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Go here to download the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=91aa6772-4811-4a58-9bc0-8aa271ed99df&displaylang=en

For your 32 bit system, you want the third download.

Clear out your %temp% directory. Disable your AV software, then run the downloaded update "as administrator".

Please let us know how it goes.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Hi I just attempted what you advised and it still wouldnt allow the update, it stated it either doesnt apply to my pc or another feature on the pc is not allowing the install???  Im guessing I do require it otherwise it wouldnt show up everytime I turn off the pc?? bummer

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Hi I just attempted what you advised and it still wouldnt allow the update, it stated it either doesnt apply to my pc or another feature on the pc is not allowing the install???  Im guessing I do require it otherwise it wouldnt show up everytime I turn off the pc?? bummer

You do not require that .NET Framework 4 be installed;  software requires it in order for said software to function.

Suggest you follow the steps laid out here starting with Step 6, running the .NET verification tool to see if .NET 4 is installed correctly.
    If .NET 4 can not be verified, then go to step 1, attempt a Repair of it.
    If no joy, follow the rest of Aaron's steps.

MowGreen
    Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
    NEVER FORGOTTEN

Friday, April 22, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

The error code 66A means "ERROR_PATCH_TARGET_NOT_FOUND", which translate to "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows
    Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

According to the error message, I would suggest you to verify the installation status of .NET Framework 4.0 with the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool firstly.

If the tool reports any verification errors, you can either:

Also, since this issue is related with the Windows Update, you can consider open a new post in the Windows Update forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_update-windows_vista to get better support, where you can contact Windows experts.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Hi Computer,

The error code 66A means "ERROR_PATCH_TARGET_NOT_FOUND", which translate to "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows
    Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

I would advise you to first go to Control Panel --> Uninstall .NET Framework 4.0

Download A Standalone installer of .NET Framework 4.0 from Microsoft Site

Install it and restart the PC.

This should solve your problem

Thanks

Roozan Bharucha

MCT, MCPD Windows App Frmwrk 4.0

• Proposed as answer by Rex Honour Monday, April 25, 2011 7:39 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 7:39 AM

I ran the Verification Tool for NET4 and it was verified. (no error was found ).

Thanks for the help. 

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Thank you for the detailed feedback!

This will improve our general knowledge base.

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:49 PM

I ran the Verification Tool for NET4 and it was verified. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hi Computer,

Please vote all useful solutions.  This will be helpful.

Thanks

Roozan Bharucha

MCT, MCPD Winows App Frmwk 4.0, MCPD Enterprize App Frmwk 3.5

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Updated: what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help Published: 7 Mar 2008

If you run into an issue installing or using the .NET Framework or a .NET Framework hotfix or service pack, and the links in the .NET Framework troubleshooting guide do not help, I usually suggest trying the following steps in order to get your system back into a known state and then re-installing the .NET Framework and any hotfixes or service packs that apply to it:

1. Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and attempt to repair the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on the system. Note: There are a few versions of the .NET Framework that are installed as OS components, and therefore will not appear in Add/Remove Programs. The .NET Framework 1.0 is an OS component on Windows XP Media Center and Tablet PC Editions. The .NET Framework 1.1 is an OS component on Windows Server 2003. The .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are OS components on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. The .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are OS components on Windows 7.

2. If a repair does not help, then go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and attempt to uninstall the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on the system

3. If you are attempting to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 and it fails, download and run the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Registration Correction Tool (also named clwireg.zip and described in more detail in this blog post), and then try to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 again. If you are encountering errors uninstalling a version of the .NET Framework other than 2.0, you can skip this step because this tool only works for the .NET Framework 2.0.

4. If uninstall still fails from Add/Remove Programs, download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and choose to remove the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on your system

5. Download and install the version of the .NET Framework that you cleaned up in step 2 or 3. Here are some download links for various versions of the .NET Framework:

.NET Framework 1.0
    .NET Framework 1.1
    .NET Framework 2.0
    .NET Framework 2.0 with SP1
    .NET Framework 2.0 with SP2
    .NET Framework 3.0
    .NET Framework 3.0 with SP1
    .NET Framework 3.5
    .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1
    .NET Framework 4

Note - if you are having trouble installing the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5, I recommend trying to installing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 because it will install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes, and these versions contain additional fixes not in the original 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 releases. Plus, 3.5 SP1 will automatically uninstall any older versions of 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 that are on your system, so you can save some time by not trying to install a version of the .NET Framework that 3.5 SP1 is going to uninstall during its install process.

6. (optional) Download and run the .NET Framework verification tool to double-check that the version of the .NET Framework that you installed in step 2 installed correctly

7. Download and install any service packs or hotfixes for the version of the .NET Framework you just installed by running the setup package directly instead of using Windows Update. Running it directly will allow the service pack or hotfix to display error dialogs (whereas, Windows Update will automatically suppress any error dialogs). Here are some download links for various .NET Framework service packs: .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 family update; there are several versions depending on what OS you are running - Windows XP and Server 2003 x86, Windows XP and Server 2003 x64, Windows Vista and Server 2008 x86, Windows Vista and Server 2008 x64

Note - the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and SP2 and 3.0 SP1 and SP2 are slipstream replacements for the original versions of 2.0 and 3.0, and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is a slipstream replacement for the original version of 3.5. You do not need to install 2.0 then SP1 and SP2, 3.0 then SP1 and SP2, or 3.5 then SP1 as separate steps like you do for 1.0 and 1.1. Instead you can skip directly to installing 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1.

MowGreen
    Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
    NEVER FORGOTTEN

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Well before i uninstall it i thought i try to repair it and see what happens, it finished repairing and installed the updates with no problem at all.

Regards

Lolz just saw the post from MowGreen, my bad!
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:37 PM