none
Visual Studio Professional vs Visual Studio Express

Question

• My company spent a large sum of money to buy Visual Studio Professional 2005 about a year ago.  I am not familiar with Visual Studio Express.

Does Visual Studio Express have documentation on MFC?  Is it better than Visual Studio Professional?

Thank you.
    Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• No.  Visual Studio Express does not support MFC.

Is it better?  That's up to you.  It's free, so if it does what you need, it's a great option.  Personally I have never used MFC and therefore have found it to be perfect for my needs (both Windows Forms and, with the Platform SDK, Win32 native apps).  There's a quick feature comparison sheet on MSDN, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Thursday, November 09, 2006 9:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I did not realize that Visual Studio Express was free.  Why didn't they just call it Visual Studio Free Edition instead of Visual Studio Express?

How on earth can you write a Windows application without MFC?  Please explain.  Isn't Win32 native == MFC?
    Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:04 PM
  • MFC is just a C++, Object-Orientated (mostly) wrapper around the Win32 Platform SDK which is almost entirely written in C.
    Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:20 PM
  • Is there documentation for the Win32 platform SDK in MSDN?

There doesn't seem to be any...
    Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:30 PM
  • There are GigaBytes of information on the Win32 SDK on MSDN: here's what I was just looking at 10 minutes ago:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/setenvironmentvariable.asp

Thursday, November 09, 2006 11:57 PM