none
WIF Installer Error / 0x80096002, The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found.

Question

• I am running Windows Server 2012 as my desktop OS and need to install WIF 3.51 for some old 3.51 apps I need to build.

Downloaded http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/7/2/D72FD747-69B6-40B7-875B-C2B40A6B2BDD/Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu and tried to install but it fails with:

"Installer encountered an error: 0x80096002.   The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found."

How can I install WIF 3.51 on Windows Server 2012 (Yes, I understand that WIF is built into .NET 4.5 but this for .NET 3.51 apps not 4.5)?

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:37 PM

Answers

• Think I found the answer.  Looks like there is a legacy windows feature you need to install "Windows Identity Foundation 3.5"

• Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, October 22, 2012 4:41 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• Think I found the answer.  Looks like there is a legacy windows feature you need to install "Windows Identity Foundation 3.5"

• Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, October 22, 2012 4:41 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I have the exact same error. I have check the checkbox for WIF. but I still get the same error. I am running Windows 8.

Kevin Burton

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Are you trying to install WIF through the msu after enabling it through the Windows Features? If so, you don't need to install it through the MSU, as it was installed as a feature.

Developer Security MVP | www.syfuhs.net

Friday, February 15, 2013 10:04 PM
  • The sequence is as follows:

1. The reference in my project/solution to a COM type library for ADO ODBC Multidimensional driver was not resolved. So I thought I would install the latest.

2. I install the .msu which is supposed to bring my asssemblies up to date. Instead I get the error that was detailed in the first post of this thread.

3. I seached for the solution to the installer error and found the "solution" was to enable WIF as a feature. This was in the hyper-link that I outlined previously.

4. I tried to reinstall the .msu and I get the same installer error.

I doubt that the .msu is trying to install WIF but I don't know. It was authored probably by someone at Microsoft.

Kevin Burton

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Ah. Well I don't think we can really help here as ADO bits are way out of scope of this forum. You may want to try in another forum specifically for ADO or ADO.NET.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:44 AM
  • I think you missed the point. The error came from the installer. I just want to get rid of or work around the error. I don't think it matters what the installer was installing. Some explanation about what this error means and what is missing to cause the installer to throw the error. The link that was given as a solution says nothing about ADO it addresses what needs to be done to fix the installer error.

Kevin Burton

Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Well yes, you are correct, its not a WIF specific error message. However, the solution was specific to WIF, not the installer. My guess is that your MSU is failing because its not supported on your version of Windows, or Windows is blocking it entirely. This is not the appropriate place to determine how to solve your specific solution as it doesn't relate to WIF at all.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Steve , if you don't have anything constructive or informative to say then why even bother? The reason I'm taking time to write this rant is that I have noticed a lot of responses like yours focusing on bureaucratic nonsense and wanting to close posts while giving no proper info about the problem raised. You write that you 'guess the installer is failing because it is not supported..' well no sht sherlock, why do you think the issue was addressed in the first place? People don't go randomly looking for add-ons and packages for fun, it's a prerequisite to install in this case SP2013. Geez.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Say what now?

I recommended moving or closing the question because it's something that can't easily be answered here because it's not on topic. This isn't an often frequented forum compared to others, so those that would have an answer may not see the question, and as such, wouldn't answer it. ADO != WIF, and more importantly, the ADO installer has zero ties to WIF. ADO just happens to give the same error as WIF does when ADO fails to install because of some unknown reason, all the while WIF fails because its now a Windows package. ADO is not a Windows package. Logically, it doesn't make sense to ask the question here because we don't know anything about ADO or installers. It's better to have someone close the question and ask in another more appropriate forum than sit here collecting dust without an answer because nobody can answer it. 

The original issue of why the error was given by WIF was explained by Scott_m -- Windows now has it as a feature. Further, it was explained that the issue from the the second post was only tangentially related to WIF through the installer. Finally, it was determined that since ADO wasn't a Windows feature, it couldn't be the same error that the WIF installer raised. Since no one answered it in this forum it stands to reason that no one had an answer. Lets move it to ADO so they can attempt to answer it because they've most likely dealt with this package before because it's an ADO package. And finally again, because this question was asked 4 months later on this thread, the post itself couldn't be moved to another forum by a moderator.

If it were asked in it's own thread it could have easily and painlessly been moved. I'm not a moderator so I can't move threads. Moderators don't watch this forum as often as others, so sometimes a nudge is helpful, otherwise you wait a week for a moderator to see it and move it.

Your statement is not appropriate, nor is it nice. As it stands your statement serves no value other than to belittle someone for trying to help another person, and while I suspect it was the result of searching around trying to solve a frustrating error, it's still not nice.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:15 PM